Once you have found a few good Training Schools.....

There is a lot of stuff you should ask. And you should know the answer to a lot of the questions you ask. What you are gaging is how they answer; I.E. their honesty, knowledge, ability to communicate.

For instance, ask how long it will take to get your private, and how much it will cost. They should answer: 40 hours is the minimum, but most take longer, and the cost depends on how much longer you take.

Obviously there are other questions to ask that you can't know the answer to. Ask about their insurance, and what coverage it gives the student when flying, with and without an instructor. Ask about pass/fail rates, if they skirt around this one I would be wary. If they are forthcoming and proud about their pass/fail rate (even if it isn't perfect) that is a positive. Ask who does the maintenance, if it is in house, or an outside person or company. If it is an outside person or company then ask about availability if there is a problem that need immediate fixing.

Talk to the other students, in private if possible, about the school. Ask how happy they are. How many hours they have, and how close to their next rating they are. Ask them about their experience financing with that school.

There is lots more stuff you should ask, but this was all I could think of right now.

Oh, WRITE DOWN YOUR QUESTIONS and ask them off a piece of paper. Write down the answers.

There is a lot of stuff you should ask. And you should know the answer to a lot of the questions you ask. What you are gaging is how they answer; I.E. their honesty, knowledge, ability to communicate.

For instance, ask how long it will take to get your private, and how much it will cost. They should answer: 40 hours is the minimum, but most take longer, and the cost depends on how much longer you take.

Obviously there are other questions to ask that you can't know the answer to. Ask about their insurance, and what coverage it gives the student when flying, with and without an instructor. Ask about pass/fail rates, if they skirt around this one I would be wary. If they are forthcoming and proud about their pass/fail rate (even if it isn't perfect) that is a positive. Ask who does the maintenance, if it is in house, or an outside person or company. If it is an outside person or company then ask about availability if there is a problem that need immediate fixing.

Talk to the other students, in private if possible, about the school. Ask how happy they are. How many hours they have, and how close to their next rating they are. Ask them about their experience financing with that school.

There is lots more stuff you should ask, but this was all I could think of right now.

Oh, WRITE DOWN YOUR QUESTIONS and ask them off a piece of paper. Write down the answers.

Make sure you get everything in writing. It wouldn't hurt to have them sign your paper after you put the answers on it. When you do find a school keep track of all flight and ground time. I was overcharged more than $8,000 for flight and ground that I never received. I am still fighting to get my money back. I have been trying for two years now. If a school says they are redefining excellence in aviation don't believe them.

Some other questions that are a good gage of the school are asking how many hours the CFI (s) have, ratings, future goals, where they received their training etc... Find out if they are just trying to log time or they are truly concerned about the training at that particular school. This should also be evident in the schools pass/fail rate. I’m not saying a CFI that is trying to log hours does not care, but it could be useful information to create a complete picture of the school.

I personaly had a situation where instructors were on visas from other countries trying to log as much flight time as possible before returning to their country. What area are you looking in? There is a wealth of knowledgeable people here, and chances are, some have had experiences/knowledge of the schools you may be looking into. Good luck.

:)

What area are you looking in? There is a wealth of knowledgeable people here, and chances are, some have had experiences/knowledge of the schools you may be looking into.

I live in the Pacific Northwest about an hours drive from Boeing Field, Sea-Tac airport, that general area.

Thank you guys for the great posts so far! My only obstacle right now is my physical. As soon as I get my 2nd class certificate, I'll be looking for a school to go to. I'm also attending an aviation fair this weekend at the Puyallup Fairgrounds to get more familiar with the field, and to hopefully meet some future trainers/schools while I'm there. I'll let you all know what I find and what my loads of Q's will be after. :)