Man, this hurts to watch.

That video was done by the army I think, and it demonstrates what ground resonance can do to your machine......if you have a machine that can be affected by ground resonance, i.e. the schwizer, Astar, EC120, Chinook, etc. Not a pretty sight to be sure.

I can't bring up the video, but I assume its the Chinook chained down?

If it is.......The rear rotor broke a lead-lag damper and ground resonance took over from there. If you watch it in slow-mo, you can see that link bust.

I heard that this was an engine test run gone bad. I would think that it if it was a destruction test, they would have had more, high speed cameras mounted all over the place.

I heard that this was an engine test run gone bad. I would think that it if it was a destruction test, they would have had more, high speed cameras mounted all over the place.

Not sure...I definitely have an mpeg of the same test seen from the side. Even more exciting as you see all the blades crashing into each other!

Maybe the other camera views just didn't make it to the net.

Joker

• 5 months later...

I was told by one of my instructors that the test was initially a ballistics test to see what the chinook could endure. To what extent, I don't know. If you watch the video, the cable coming of the nose is how they operated the aircraft remotely. When they chained her down, the chains were too tight not allowing the aircraft to vibrate and use the oleo struts as they were designed. This condition induced the ground resonance that destroyed her. Amazing how fast it happens! I have never experienced ground resonance...hell....droop stop pounding is enough for me!

I'm just wondering where the bottom half of the machine went to? Either that or the helo was designed by Dr. Evil to transport his minions of Mini Me's.

Later.