Quote or Reply

OK, its been a long day, so I'll keep this short.

I have noticed recently that people are tending to use the 'QUOTE' function as well as the 'REPLY' function.

This results in the previous poster's entire text being copied into that white quote box. In turn threads end up hugely long and filled with white quote boxes (which looks ugly). What is more, if everyone uses the 'QUOTE' function, then 50% of the text of a thread is actually a repeat of what has already been said! This of course takes up bandwithd and server space.

Now it may seem pedantic, but I think that the quote function should be reserved for highlighting a particular text block in order to focus on part of someone elses written word.

It's a bit like 'the boy who cried wolf'! When the time comes to actually use the quote feature properly, no one will take a blind bit of notice, because of the overzealous use of quotes already.

So, may I make a plea to all. Unless you have a reason for 'quoting' someone's entire text, use the 'ADD REPLY' function instead of the quote function.

Thanks

Joker

The Internet is becoming the town square for the global village of tomorrow. Bill Gates

If that's so, let's clean up that town square! Don't waste your words!

Actually, it's an odd thing - if you hit the "Reply" button, this is the result. In order to get a clean-slate response, you have to hit the "Add Reply" button. I'm not sure what the "Quote" button even does!

OK, its been a long day, so I'll keep this short.

I have noticed recently that people are tending to use the 'QUOTE' function rather than the 'REPLY' function.

This results in the previous poster's entire text being copied into that white quote box. In turn threads end up hugely long and filled with white quote boxes (which looks ugly). What is more, if everyone uses the 'QUOTE' function, then 50% of the text of a thread is actually a repeat of what has already been said! This of course takes up bandwithd and server space.

Now it may seem pedantic, but I think that the quote function should be reserved for highlighting a particular text block in order to focus on part of someone elses written word.

It's a bit like 'the boy who cried wolf'! When the time comes to actually use the quote feature properly, no one will take a blind bit of notice, because of the overzealous use of quotes already.

So, may I make a plea to all. Unless you have a reason for 'quoting' someone's entire text, use the 'REPLY' function instead of the quote function.

Thanks

Joker

If that's so, let's clean up that town square! Don't waste your words!

In order to get a clean-slate response, you have to hit the "Add Reply" button

Ha!

Spot on!!! Thanks again Fling!

OK, I'll amend my original plea! (I have always used the 'ADD REPLY' so didn't know that).

Let's use the 'ADD REPLY' button instead of the 'REPLY' button. As for the 'QUOTE' button, well when someone works out what it does, then we can decide if its worth using it!

Joker

[quote name='joker' date='Mar 9 2006, 15:19 ' post='2673}

As for the 'QUOTE' button, well when someone works out what it does, then we can decide if its worth using it!

Joker

the quote, allows for editing of the post where as REPLY just copies the post?? without edit i think???

Hmm,

67November,

I see that you are an expert at using the 'quote' feature...just like the rest of us! (See failed quote usage above!) :D

Only kidding, actually I think you are not too far from the truth (see what I found below).

Joker

Quoting Posts

Displayed below each post in a topic, there is a 'Quote' button. Pressing this button will allow you to reply to a topic, and have the text from a particular reply quoted in your own reply. When you choose to do this, an extra text field will appear below the main text input box to allow you to edit the content of the post being quoted.

Guest pokey
Hmm,

Quoting Posts

Displayed below each post in a topic, there is a 'Quote' button. Pressing this button will allow you to reply to a topic, and have the text from a particular reply quoted in your own reply. When you choose to do this, an extra text field will appear below the main text input box to allow you to edit the content of the post being quoted.

Umm Joker? do you happen to have the regulation handy that this came from? :blink:

Help section?

I thought we were suppose to wonder around here aimlessly and figure this out by trial and error :blink: ;) :D

So this is why you boys\girls? fly the big birds it,s all beyond me . :unsure: