Now I don't know hundreds of pilots or anything but when I was at the Robinson Safety School in January there were 4 people there from SSH. I must say I was impressed with their knowledge and when I saw them fly they were good. They did not talk bad about their school at all. The only thing I knew about SSH was what I read on the forums and I had doubts from those posts. But after actually meeting students I have HUGE doubts to how accurate the complaints about SSH are. I do think they are way to expensive, but they seem to provide quality instruction with quality ships from what I can tell.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The financing that Silver State provides is through a third party. This actually means that you have some built in security measures as you are not giving the money directly to SSH. I don't claim it to be the best option as I really don't know. But I do know that before I sign a contract I know what it says, as did every other person who signed up for the program.

Actually, there is no "built in security" in using a third party lender. Generally the total loan funds are going to be advanced to SSH very early in the training and, as far as I know, there are no restrictions on how SSH can spend that money. E.g., investments in other operations and aircraft unrelated to training, marketing, or even pet projects of the owner (like a run for Sheriff of LV). If the cash is used up before the student finishes training the lender does not care...the student is still responsible for those loan payments. Good point about reading the contract.

To answer the question, SSH does have some risks... just like any other professional training program (flight training, college, technical school, etc.). If you don't finish the program, or even if you do but choose not to apply your skills in your future employment, you don't have a lot to show for it. Know anybody with a four year college degree who is now working in an unrelated field?

Spending $70k, plus interest, for flight training and then not generating a paycheck as a pilot is not just a risk, it's a tragedy. Paying that much for a vocational ed program that does not lead to a real job (beyond the CFI appenticeship) is flushing that considerable sum of money down the crapper. There is nothing else that training is good for.

I know a lot of people with four year college degrees who are not working in the major listed on their sheepskin (a Bachlor's degree is not a vocational ed program). But that education has opened doors that would not have been available without it. Unless someone is absolutely, unequivocally and completely sure they want to (and can) fly helicopters for a living (and that kind of certainty is impossible) they should leave themselves the flexibility to change their mind without being stuck with massive debt. Silver State's program does not allow for that.

A "risk" is spending in ten hour blocks to get your PPL, because you won't really know if you want to do it for a living until you can actually fly the thing. Its stupid to hand over 70k to a school that has had as many complaints as SSH, with the idea that hard work will put you ahead of the rest. It takes hard work to get your ratings, period. I either paid hourly or in ten hour blocks. Even that was hard to swallow, handing over $2000+ checks as I trained. I made sure the flight school was reputable and that I got along with the instructors. You shouldn't make finance companies a ton of money in the name of your dreams, do it with your finances in mind and you won't get the short end of the stick. I would never consider a school that wants the full amount up front, and especially when starting out. You don't know how you'll feel 200 hours later, and you may never see that money again.

NTSB Identification: SEA07LA111B

14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation

Accident occurred Saturday, April 21, 2007 in Van Horn, TX

Aircraft: Robinson R22 Beta, registration: N991RW

Injuries: 2 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On April 21, 2007, approximately 1000 central daylight time, a Robinson R22 Beta helicopter, N971SH collided with another Robinson R22 Beta helicopter, N991RW, while standing with engines operating at the Culberson County Airport, Van Horn, Texas. Both helicopters sustained substantial damage. Neither flight instructor or their students were injured. Both aircraft were registered to and operated by Silver State Helicopters, of North Las Vegas, Nevada. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and a flight plan was not filed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 instructional flights. The cross-country flight originated from the El Paso International Airport, El Paso, Texas, about 0830 mountain daylight time.

In a telephone interview with the NTSB investigator-in-charge, the flight instructor of N971SH reported that while maneuvering to land, he intended to get as close as possible to the gas pumps, putting his helicopter in close proximity to N991RW, which had just landed before him. The flight instructor stated that after he landed and lowered collective he felt a vibration in the controls and heard a noise. The flight instructor reported that he immediately picked the helicopter up and moved to the right about 12 to 15 feet before setting it down. The flight instructor stated that he thought he had given himself enough room the first time, but knew he had struck N991RW's main rotor blades due to the noise, vibration, and closeness to the other helicopter. The main rotor blades of both helicopters sustained substantial damage as a result of the blade contact.