Silver State Helicopters - Fires a CFI

Silver State Helicopters, yup.... They are everything you NEVER wanted.

They have a CFI who dedicates a year or so of training their clients.

The CFI finally reaches that magical # of 1,000 hrs and decides like the rest of us, to go fly bigger, faster and better helicopters. Get some turbine time right? - Right.

So the CFI does the right thing, he puts in his TWO WEEKS NOTICE.... Just like you should.

What does Silver State do? - Well you all know already.

They did the Donald Trump on him. "YOUR FIRED"

Just because he wanted to better himself and move onto turbine ships, they fired him.

UNREAL.... BUT THAT'S SSH FOR YA.

Is there no law against that in the US? I think in the UK it would be considered constructive dismissal (or something!).

What is the CFI's concern? Is it a reference for a future employer? Did he give notice in writing or verbally? Does he lose money?

What are the repercussions for SSH's actions?

In most situations in the US, you're an at-will employee. That means you can quit at any time, for any or no reason, and the employer can let you go at any time, for almost any reason.

There are exceptions, for example you cannot discriminate against someone based on sex, race, national origin, etc. so if you can prove that, you might have a case.

In most situations in the US, you're an at-will employee. That means you can quit at any time, for any or no reason, and the employer can let you go at any time, for almost any reason.

There are exceptions, for example you cannot discriminate against someone based on sex, race, national origin, etc. so if you can prove that, you might have a case.

Well, I dont think the point made was towards the "legality" of his termination, it was rather the "spirit" of it. Everyone should know that as an ex-employee, if you were fire, there is very little you can do about it unless either you have a lot of money to spend on a lawyer, or if it was one of those reasons as jehh stated then lawyers come running at no charge most times.

The fact of the matter just prooves what kind of "spirit" SSH has towards people (students and employees) who decide on a different route for whatever reason. Their panties get all up in a wad and they do everything they possibly can as to hinder that person in any ambitions they may try to pursue. Im sure it wouldnt be fair to assume SSH does this to all employees who decide to leave, but I am sure it is more pobable compared to respectable companies depending on whatever circumstances exist for hard feeling to be developed.

The fact of the matter just prooves what kind of "spirit" SSH has towards people (students and employees) who decide on a different route for whatever reason. Their panties get all up in a wad and they do everything they possibly can as to hinder that person in any ambitions they may try to pursue. Im sure it wouldnt be fair to assume SSH does this to all employees who decide to leave, but I am sure it is more pobable compared to respectable companies depending on whatever circumstances exist for hard feeling to be developed.

In my personal experience, they don't do it to everyone, they didn't do it to me. I used to work for them, when I told my general manager I was leaving for the gulf, he congratulated me, shook my hand, and asked when my last day would be. I gave him 2 weeks notice, but ended up leaving a few days early (my decision).

Silver State is indeed disliked due to their aggressive marketing methods. After having worked there, I can say that they do business per the contract, so what you sign is what you get, no more and no less. The problem of course is that the people signing these contracts are far less informed about the business than SSH is, so the process is slanted towards the company.

A friend of mine put it this way, "they are selling dreams", and I think he is right. :)

• 3 weeks later...
In my personal experience, they don't do it to everyone, they didn't do it to me. I used to work for them, when I told my general manager I was leaving for the gulf, he congratulated me, shook my hand, and asked when my last day would be. I gave him 2 weeks notice, but ended up leaving a few days early (my decision).

Silver State is indeed disliked due to their aggressive marketing methods. After having worked there, I can say that they do business per the contract, so what you sign is what you get, no more and no less. The problem of course is that the people signing these contracts are far less informed about the business than SSH is, so the process is slanted towards the company.

A friend of mine put it this way, "they are selling dreams", and I think he is right. :)

Well, that makes it alright then doesn't it.

• 1 year later...

Yep, I've been assigned to 8 instructors over the last year and the ones that have turned in their notice are treated like trash. Our location is short on instructors and for a little while they'd let some of the guys come back and teach during their off-weeks which was nice...but no longer, why? B/c all in all, Silverstate is teh suck and should be avoided even if it's the only game in town.

I'm surprised this thread isn't locked, seems like all the other ones that say anything neg about SSH get locked (probably b/c Jerry threatens to sue)...

Well, that makes it alright then doesn't it.

It is what it is. If it really bothers you that much just remember you need a thick skin to stick around. Don't go to SSH if you don't want to.

Life isn't fair. Get over it. I am baffled at some people's expectations.

Good pilots have come and of SSH and will continue to come out of SSH and there is enough info around that we can stop making threads about them at this point.

SSH SUCKS! DON'T GO TO SSH. BEWARE OF SSH! THIS ONE GUY GOT SCREWED BY SSH! WATCH OUT EVERYONE! SSH IS HERE TO RIP YOU OFF!

I have jumped on them, too. It is a business and nothing more. If there wasn't money in it, they would move on to something else. No matter how hard we try, they are going to stay in business until it dries up.

I will not recommend SSH to anyone, ever. I am sick of hearing about and this whole boo-hoo mentality.

All:

Let me say that I am new to this forum. However, not new to helicopters, nor airplanes and certainly not to bosses.

Let me say in the world of business it is a common practice to accept a resignation and then tell the leaving employee not to return for the last two weeks. I will say that generally when this happens the employer will pay the employee for their time as if they worked.

I'm not making an excuse or condoning the action as I do not know all of the facts.

In this world we live in with security and related concerns the employer will sometimes do things that do not make reason to outsiders. That is business, maybe not good business but, business none the less.

Now for all of the whinning out there by some who feel they might be owed something from somebody else, deal with the person on an adult level. If it does not concern you then find something better to do with your time, be productive. Life is passing you by.

Best of Luck with your choices.

edspilot

Disclaimer: I am not in business, have not been in business, but know that without business most of us would be unemployed.

Hell Yeah! Amen!

Sparker, I like your style.

The two weeks is supposed to be a courtesy to the employer to find your replacement. A lot of times an employer might have adequate staff already, or find a replacement before two weeks. These are things that should be worked out between employee and employer civilly. The OP has the situation portrayed in a negative manner (which could be the case), but it might be that he thought he deserved two weeks worth of pay and couldn't come to an agreement with the employer. The bottom line is the employer has a business to run and if your leaving, the next person in line has to become first priority, like it or not.

Edited by LB11

There is a big diffrence from an employer not needing you for the two weeks and letting you go early, and getting fired. Now when this CFI applies for a job, he will have to say that he was fired. If he lies and SSH states that he was fired he will have problems. Even if he says he gaev 2 weeks and was fired future employeers may be more cautious about hiring him, wondering what the "real" story was...

All in all a shity thing to do...