lycoming

500E

Looking on AOPA site I note Lycoming have extended their crankshaft AD how come that the customer is paying any part of the cost as this appears to be due to a faulty manifacturing proces??

Is this is a sale of goods defect and not fit for purpose, also the loss of use of aircraft could be a major cost to a school or Co renting Helios or planes

Please dont get me started on valves sticking!!!!!!!!!!!

Lycoming is in a fierce battle with the subcontractor who made the affected crankshafts - Lycoming claims substandard materials, the subcontractor claims Lycoming underspec'd the cranks.

The valve issue is a design flaw - trying to do too much with the oil coming through the lifters, rather than providing the valve stems with their own lube source. There are aftermarket remedies, unfortunately so far, none are certified. That will be changing soon.

Lycoming claims substandard materials, the subcontractor claims Lycoming underspec'd the cranks.

The valve issue is a design flaw .

SO

Hello FW

I understand your comments BUT as you say Lycoming are the manifacturer and shurly are liable for their sub contractor.

As for the valve deal Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Why do we pay to be ripped off for years\ decades with equipment that is known to be faulty, it is not the customers problem that the things dont work as specified, this is down to the maker an so should the total cost of repairing sub standard goods.

It,s not as if they are cheap :angry: to start with.

Lycoming has brought most of their work back in-house after the crankshaft deal. They used to only test every 10th crankshaft, now they test EVERY shaft. It's still BS, but they're moving the right direction now.

TRIVIA QUESTION: What did Lycoming manufacture before they got into the aircraft engine business? The first correct answer gets a junk crankshaft.....

TRIVIA QUESTION: What did Lycoming manufacture before they got into the aircraft engine business? The first correct answer gets a junk crankshaft.....

"Originally the company manufactured sewing machines, then bicycles. The company branched out and began manufacturing piston engines for both automotive and marine applications."

Please give my "prize" to 500E B)

"Originally the company manufactured sewing machines, then bicycles. The company branched out and began manufacturing piston engines for both automotive and marine applications."

Please give my "prize" to 500E B)

No, No, No,dont require another

PS no valves either

;)