Orlando Area Law Enforcement?

Anyone flying law enforcement in the orlando area? I am interested in possibly becoming an observer and working my way up to flying, currently have ppl and instrument and I'm working on my commercial. Do most agencies require you work on the streets for a few years, or is it possible to work as an observer flying? Thanks for any info.

Chris

I am a Sheriff Flight Officer in Central Ca. I can tell you WITHOUT A DOUBT.....your going to have to be a cop first to be an observer. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to be an observer without having worked the street for a couple of years minimum! You are a cop in the air. You patrol the same way you do in a car. Only from above. You set up perimeters, call vehicle pusuits, and direct ground officers during searches, SWAT operations, SAR, etc. My agency assists many surrounding depts that do not have their own ASU. Ask yourself, how could you possibly assist having never been the guy/gal on the street? I continually draw from my experiences as a street cop on every call. When they look for observers, they want observers. Not pilots. If your not a good observer, your never going to be a pilot....in fact, youll be turning in your flight suit real quick. All of the pilots in my unit were all observers for several years prior to moving over. It is that way with just about all units across the nation. I know you asked the question, I hope I didnt come across as harsh, but someone thinking they can come off the street and be an observer tells me they know nothing about the job.

If your goal is to fly LE, thats commendable. Gain experience and apply to a dept that employs civilian pilots.

We all share the love of flying. If you have any questions I can assist you with, feel free to PM me, or you contact the Airborne Law Enforcement Association also. www.alea.org

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I am a Sheriff Flight Officer in Central Ca. I can tell you WITHOUT A DOUBT.....your going to have to be a cop first to be an observer. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to be an observer without having worked the street for a couple of years minimum! You are a cop in the air. You patrol the same way you do in a car. Only from above. You set up perimeters, call vehicle pusuits, and direct ground officers during searches, SWAT operations, SAR, etc. My agency assists many surrounding depts that do not have their own ASU. Ask yourself, how could you possibly assist having never been the guy/gal on the street? I continually draw from my experiences as a street cop on every call. When they look for observers, they want observers. Not pilots. If your not a good observer, your never going to be a pilot....in fact, youll be turning in your flight suit real quick. All of the pilots in my unit were all observers for several years prior to moving over. It is that way with just about all units across the nation. I know you asked the question, I hope I didnt come across as harsh, but someone thinking they can come off the street and be an observer tells me they know nothing about the job.

If your goal is to fly LE, thats commendable. Gain experience and apply to a dept that employs civilian pilots.

We all share the love of flying. If you have any questions I can assist you with, feel free to PM me, or you contact the Airborne Law Enforcement Association also. www.alea.org

Rob.

Just a question. I just left a 7 year career with the Dukes County Sheriff's Office to fly. I just got my PPl and am starting my Instrument and Commercial next week. How would you say the market is for low hour pilots that hold not only a commercial but instrument rating. All though I would like to get back into law enforcement as a pilot I'm fully aware that there are lots of high hour rotorcraft pilots out there. I totally agree with police aviators being academized and have time on the street first. You have to understand what the guy on ground faces.

• 4 months later...