Flight schools in Fort Worth, TX. area?

• 3 months later...

Anyone in the DFW area should first look at Sky Helicopters in Garland, and Summit Helicopters in Addison.

Any questions? Feel free to ask, I've flown at both...

I have trained at Rocky Point, Summit, and Sky Helicopters, and would recommend ANY of those schools. They are all top notch in my book. There is another school in the DFW area, Longhorn Helicopters, but I don't have any experience with them. If you have questions or would like specifics about these schools please feel free to PM me.

--PF

There is another school in the DFW area, Longhorn Helicopters, but I don't have any experience with them.

I haven't seen any information on Longhorn, and there doen't seem to be a website. I think I'll be better off sticking to a school with a reputation.

I haven't seen any information on Longhorn, and there doen't seem to be a website. I think I'll be better off sticking to a school with a reputation.

Don't shy away from Longhorn. They are good guys and good pilots. I have had the privledge of flying with them, and like Summit, Sky, and Rocky Point, they are top notch.

Glad to hear it. I just hadn't heard anyone vouch for them and I couldn't trace any information. I think thier location may be a bit far out of range for me though.

Longhorn is located at Denton, which isn't too far away from Rocky Point. Longhorn and Rocky Point are about 45 minutes to downtown Dallas without any traffic. Summit and Sky are in Addison and Garland respectively, and are only a few minutes from Dallas without any traffic.

T T, due your research on SSH. :angry:

Did my research, saw all the negative stuff in this and another forum, saw the "truth" website, yes this made me concerned. I realized that all the negative comments were from people who had dropped out and couldn't get their money back or had heard bad things from "a friend". I researched deeper and tracked down and contacted 6 current students ranging from newbies to people about to get their CPL. All were happy with the school and said SSH lived up to their promises. To me 1 positive first hand experience is worth 100 negative rumors. People seem to forget that SSH has generated hundreds of satisfied pilots. I'm not trying to convince anyone all I'm saying is yes the SSH seminars seem too good to be true and yes people bash them hard online but the truth lies somewhere in the middle you get out what you put in so anyone curious do your own research and track down some students at any school you are interested in. Don't accept rumors as fact in any situation in life you never know what personal agendas people are acting on. In any case I am looking forward to getting through my training and becoming a safe, professional pilot and part of the helo community. I just hope I am not ostracized because I came through SSH.

$0.02

...the truth lies somewhere in the middle you get out what you put in so anyone curious do your own research...

Sounds like you've done the research and made your decision and are ready to live with it. That's all anyone can do. Good luck.

But that part of your post about "all the negative comments were from people who had dropped out and couldn't get their money back"...that's just not the case. There really are a lot of former customers of SSH...including some who completed the program...who have good reason to feel that SSH did not live up to its promises or deliver the value for the money they spent. It has been described and explained frequently...on forums and in the press...over the past three years that SSH's business practices do not favor its customers. The lack of sufficient aircraft and/or instructors for the number of students it takes in, the frequent switching of instructors, the high prices, the refund policies...these are all facts. SSH has lots of excuses...rapid growth, "loser" drop-outs, yada, yada, yada...but the fact is that they continue to have issues. You've heard all this and still you want to go with them. Good luck.

I just hope I am not ostracized because I came through SSH.

$0.02

You won't be, assuming you do get through their program...

Past 1,000 hours, no one cares where you came from, or how you got your time, just so long as you did.

As for their program, do keep in mind that once commited, you are stuck with them, for better or worse. You do not have the option to go somewhere else, if you are unhappy, because of the contract you'll have to sign.

If you are comfortable with that, great, best of luck to you... Let us know how it works out for you.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I realize this is an old post, but I was curious if anyone had any more information on Epic Helicopters in Ft Worth? I have only recently started researching what is necessary to obtain a license, so any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!!

• 4 months later...
I just hope I am not ostracized because I came through SSH.

$0.02

If you're still around, I'm curious as to how your training has worked out. Hopefully you have made it through the program by now and are working as a CFI since it has been about 18 months since you posted. If not, let us know how far you're along...

Fly Safe!

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if any of the schools in the DWF area also have a degree program? Epic has one through Utah Valley University, but I'd like to check out other schools in the area if they are availible before making a decision. I'd be more on the Ft Worth side of the metroplex. :D

Yes, I fly at All American Helicopters. They have UVSC and I think some other degree programs as well. You should call Gene and ask. They are awesome. Experienced Instructors that really know their stuff. They teach a lot of vets, police, army, etc.

I looked around at all the flight schools in the area before choosing All American. I saw this info on Longhorn you may want to check out: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...r.4a05d300.html