Would you be interested?

Study Guides  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy an indepth study guide aimed at commercial students?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you already own a study guide you bought previously?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Look at the contents of the guide posted, would you be interested in buying such a study guide? (Roughly 500+ questions total)

• Gimme-Gimme!
    • No thanks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry mate, it's C.

What's the first thing that goes thru your mind when doing a high recce?

"Can I land there?" or roughly translated to "Is it suitable for landing?" The question is worded to make ya look more deeply into it than need be.... mwahahahaha!

Glad though that these questions aren't too easy for everyone. :)

Here's another tricky one. When all else fails... RTFQ x2

-When conducting a confined area type operation, the primary purpose for the high reconnaissance is to determine

A. If the area is large enough to execute a takeoff after landing

B. The height of any obstructions surrounding the area

C. The suitability of the area for landing

D. The type of approach to be made

ok here's is why C is better that D.

it boils down to the ? as he said RTFQx2

"When conducting a confined area type operation"

if you remove this statement from the ? the answer is D, with C being the 2nd piece to fill in.

Guest rookie101
The question is worded to make ya look more deeply into it than need be.... mwahahahaha!

Glad though that these questions aren't too easy for everyone. :)

NO!!! I hate those kinds of questions (the correct term for these types of tests/questions are Princeton tests/questions). Both of my college tests consisted of these types of questions, I am suffering from post tramtic stress disorder here!

:blink: :blink:

Westcoaster- Great questions, but I didnt see any good explanations for the newbies on question #1

Newbies-The reason why A,Band D are wrong in question one is simple. Nowhere does it tell you what your airspeed is. How would you know to pull aft or forward cyclic...the right answer is to attain the proper auto airspeed..in a R22 thats about 60-65 knots...so if Im cruising along at 90 knots, I would have to add aft cyclic to get to 65 knots...If I was doing 40 knots at the time, I would have to add forward cyclic to get to 65KIAS.....I know this is pretty basic, but I didnt see a basic answer for the students out there.

What's the first thing that goes thru your mind when doing a high recce?

"Can I land there?" or roughly translated to "Is it suitable for landing?" The question is worded to make ya look more deeply into it than need be.... mwahahahaha!

Glad though that these questions aren't too easy for everyone.

WC,

Fair enough...as I said I was going out on a limb...

We could argue semantics and syntax forever, but...

In all honesty 'mate', the first thing that goes through my mind, is, "Can I get my aircraft in and out?!" If not, the rest is pointless. Put the other way, if an area is 2' X 2 ', I'm obviously not going to give it any more thought, am I?

The word 'suitablity', to me means looking at the type of surface, debris around the area, slope etc...and you would be unable to make those judgements from a high recon.

Joker

Ok now your in, is there room to get out the question does not mention autos

It is says confined aeria which means in and out rather than strip and transport.

If its an eng out as long as I walk away great if no damage even better,and the insurance co will love you .

Ok now your in, is there room to get out the question does not mention autos

It is says confined aeria which means in and out rather than strip and transport.

If its an eng out as long as I walk away great if no damage even better,and the insurance co will love you .

What language is this?

On a side note, doesn't it take a rather large area to auto into? I once estimated that the length of the area must be about 6-8 times the height of the nearest obstacle. So if you had an engine out, and the trees all around the only area you could go to were say 40 feet high, then the length of the area needs to be at least 240'-320' long. I used to often get students who underestimated the size of the space they needed when doing practice engine failures.

Joker

On a side note, doesn't it take a rather large area to auto into? I once estimated that the length of the area must be about 6-8 times the height of the nearest obstacle. So if you had an engine out, and the trees all around the only area you could go to were say 40 feet high, then the length of the area needs to be at least 240'-320' long. I used to often get students who underestimated the size of the space they needed when doing practice engine failures.

Joker

Joker- Actually a great question. During an auto you are descending over 1500 FPM....I'm not sure I would need 300 feet to execute a flare ...I've never tried to / or had to auto into a small confined area, but its really the ultimate steep approach ! Of course, when practicing we always pick a big wash area with no obstacles...I'm guessing when dropping that fast you could put an R22 in safely with only about 100 feet or so of length....just remember to keep the trees out of the tailrotor during the flare !

Good flying ! Goldy

Goldy,

Of course, the distance required depends on the winds, the pilot the aircraft and a whole lot of other factors. And yes, with experience practice, style and flair, it would be possible to terminate an autorotation in a field of smaller dimensions than say, a new pilot could.

However, all autos require ground speed and descent to be shed. This requires horizontal distance.

When autoing into a confined area, you cannot rely on headwind speed to help you...You have to assume no headwind under the 'tree line'. This further extends the distance required.

Next time you have a chance in low-wind conditions, try doing an auto. Not your position over the ground when you are about 50' (about when you start to flare). Then note your position that you terminate (either in full-down or to hover).

I think you'll be surprised how far that is. Something you don't appreciate when autoing out in the open.

This is all notwithstanding advanced autorotation techniques such as 0 speed / constant attitude autos.

Maybe 6-8 is on upperside...however, when starting off, I think that would be a good rule of thumb.

Joker

C of G,

Yes, that was a nice piece of work.

For those who don't know, it was a 300CB on a departure climb, must've been about 350-400', 180 autorotation into an orchard to a spot that was very tight.

So of course there is exception to what I said, and yes, a good pilot could work with much less space than a newer pilot.

Joker

P.S. CoG, did you get my pm on AW139?

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, things are coming along nicely. Almost done the question section with less than 100 to go, then just have to do the answer key, and a booklet with all needed tables, graphs and pictures.

Man this things getting way bigger than I first thought... up to 220 pages of nothing but questions. Also been trying my best to make it as universal as possible. At first I was going to include copies of a charts for navigation questions, but that is both expensive and... well a pain in the ass. So I've made all nav plotting scenerios generic, something anyone can use their own local charts to do. Keeps it familiar to the student, keeps cost down, and helps to not alienate anyone.

The air law I've tried to make as universal as possible, but it's futile. It will be geared towards North American standards. Thinking about enlisting help for a JAR edition in the future though. We'll see.

Never too late for more input folks. Fire at will! :)

Guest rookie101
Perhaps we as a group could put together a Wikopedia-style question bank. I have a collection (Joker, I'm sure you're familiar with a lot of it) of about 300 PVT/Comm oral Q's.

Not trying to pull any attention away from WC's topic, but I think this is a great idea as well. Now, WC if you posted a few more questions from your guide than maybe we can help you a little more, so far I like the idea of this guide.

rookie

(where in the hell did I come up with 101 posts???? I need to find something else to do :lol: >>>>> :(

Anyone know what the Canadian Flight Supplement's FAA counterpart is called?

WC - there is no product that completely matches the content of the CFS for the U.S. The closest is the Airport/Facility Directory, a seven volume booklet series covering the conterminous United States, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands published by the National Aeronautical Charting Office (NACO).

afd.jpg AFD_Index.jpg

While the A/FD does have some airport sketches in it, there are better commercial products out there that many (most?) pilots use instead, like the Flight Guide that covers the country in three compact volumes.

fgpilotsbookview.jpg statesnew.gif

• 4 months later...