Utility Copilot positions

HeloPitts

• 3 months later...
Does anybody know of any utility companies that might hire somebody for a copilot position with 1160hrs total time with 180hrs rotorwing with most of the rotorwing time being turbine.

Try Columbia Helicopters or maybe Carson Helicopters

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Does anybody know of any utility companies that might hire somebody for a copilot position with 1160hrs total time with 180hrs rotorwing with most of the rotorwing time being turbine.

Call Croman Inc. in Medford Oregon. They will be hiring co-pilots this spring for logging and fire fighting.

What's the lure of co-pilot positions? From some of the reading I've done, you get very little/no PIC time. Is this an in to the industry, or is there value to just building total time? What will you be doing as SIC? Will they eventually hire you on as first officer, and if so, what timeframe can you expect? Will they help you with ATP, slingload operations, NVG or other advanced training?

thx,

--c

What's the lure of co-pilot positions? From some of the reading I've done, you get very little/no PIC time. Is this an in to the industry, or is there value to just building total time? What will you be doing as SIC? Will they eventually hire you on as first officer, and if so, what timeframe can you expect? Will they help you with ATP, slingload operations, NVG or other advanced training?

thx,

--c

there really is no lure to co-pilot time. In this industry you need PIC time to make any decent pay and most co-pilot gigs for utility you will not log any PIC since you arent type rated. Thus the only thing you gain is total time. However that time doesnt help you get a job in the gulf etc. If your good and can hang in there for awhile the utility operators may start flying you in support ships doing chokers but in reality most people can get there quicker by just instructiong for awhile.

It seems that most people that due the co-pilot gigs usually dont want to teach and just want to go straight to turbines. Either way you have to pay your dues. Co-pilot on a utility is no fun and most wont last a season. If they can hang for a couple years than they will start flying PIC. The problem is that life is tough and if you have a family forget about it.

As to what your post about first officers, a co-pilot is a first officer. The only difference between utility companies and corp/GOM etc is since most utility operators that use cojo's will fly a type rated aircraft the cojo's cant log PIC. I think only Helimax is the only company that flies a non type rated aircraft using two pilots. (214's) My company flies two pilots but the FO can log PIC anytime he flies. Since the Captains are ATP's and we require ATP's to act as PIC we can log PIC for the entire flight. Hope this clears it up.

To the original poster looking for SIC positions, with that low of RW time most comapnies will stir clear of you. My advice is to instruct a little while to get to 500 hrs and then if you still want it apply to the operators.

Hi I actually got a job working as a co pilot last season and had a ton of fun and and learned alot from the pilots that I flew with. It does help out with the total time but not the PIC time, but the amount of knowledge that you gain I feel is worth taking a summer off from instructing, but it is not for everyone and probably won't help you out to much if you want to go to the gulf. Which is'nt really where I want to go. All that I have wanted to do was fly utility so it wasn't a very hard choice for me at all. That is just my opinion.

I had a ball.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi I actually got a job working as a co pilot last season and had a ton of fun and and learned alot from the pilots that I flew with. It does help out with the total time but not the PIC time, but the amount of knowledge that you gain I feel is worth taking a summer off from instructing, but it is not for everyone and probably won't help you out to much if you want to go to the gulf. Which is'nt really where I want to go. All that I have wanted to do was fly utility so it wasn't a very hard choice for me at all. That is just my opinion.

I had a ball.

How did you get into the copilot position and what was your schedule like, what kind of time did you have when you got the job?