No more fulldown autos?

As far as the machinery, it still takes it's toll on the mechanical end by advanced wear and tear. As an A&P/IA this becomes very evident during routine inspections.

Hovering autos and running takeoffs or landings cause the same wear and tear. Any ground contact maneuver is going to be hard on the machine in a training environment.

Bob

I hesitated in responding to this post, but what the heck I'm going to do it anyway.

I have had full-downs demonstrated to me (sometimes with me "following on the controls") in both R22s and S300-class machines. I appreciate the experience, and I look forward to the next time I get to do this (or hopefully do one all "by my lonesome"), but I still agree with the decision to remove full-downs *from the CFI PTS requirements* (i.e. the checkride).

A checkride is nerve-wracking enough as it is and I don't think it needs the added pressure of doing a full-down - *especially* in an R22. As most everyone knows, it's a low inertia aircraft and - in my belief anyway - that combined with the lack of any shock absorption in the landing gear means that you have to pretty much grease the set-down and hope that the landing surface has few irregularities. That, combined with the fact that the R22 is at least for the time being the pre-eminent training platform, is a set-up for some number of balled-up expensive collections of bits when CFI candidates attempt a full-down and things get pear-shaped. (IMO also true in the S300, but less so.)

In my opinion, based on my vast sub-200 hours of sticking one of these contraptions around, if the "donk" quits, the pilot's main responsibility at that point is to ensure that he/she and all pax *survive the outcome* and let the insurance company earn their premiums. Helicopters are expensive, but merely "mouse nuts" compared to a loss of life.

I am one of those folks that believes that if a pilot is trained to do an auto to power recovery, it's pretty likely that everyone will walk (or at least be carrried) away from the scene in a survivable state if after the engine quits, he gets the aircraft within 25' of the ground with low airspeed and then lets things "go wonky".

Remember that I said I hesitated before posting - these are merely my own opinions about the subject. YMMV!! and I am certainly open to measured counterpoint to my current thinking.

cheers,

Dave Blevins

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies & Gentleman,

Perhaps you have seen our advertisements on this forum?

Helicopter Concepts has spent the last year developing a comprehensive DVD on autorotations. On May 1st, we released our completed DVD to the public! This video is approximately 75 minutes in length, uses state-of-the-art 3D animation, includes video from inside the cockpit and outside, includes video from special cameras mounted on the exterior of the ship to provide you a unique view, and features experienced professionals such as Tim Tucker (Chief Instructor, Robinson R22/R44 Safety Course) and others. Furthermore, this video is available now and only costs $39.95

http://www.helicopterconcepts.com/products.htm

This is a professionally made video! In fact, many schools have had the opportunity to review a pre-release version. The reviews have been extremely positive! One school has already submitted the video to the FAA for inclusion in their Part 141 program!

Helicopter Concepts provides interactive training systems and products for helicopter pilots in all disciplines. Most aviation learning programs available today ignore rotorcraft... we intend to change that. Since we are dedicated to developing training material solely for the helicopter community, we are your best source for interactive training products for the helicopter community.

Here is a brief summary of the video:

Join Timothy Tucker (Chief Instructor, Robinson R22/R44 Safety Course) and Michael Zangara (Former Robinson Test Pilot) as they provide an instructor's view of Autorotations in the R22 helicopter! With over 45 years of combined experience and 25,000+ flight hours, Mike and Tim provide a unique insight into autorotations like you've never seen before. This exciting live action video will simplify and explain the basics of autorotation aerodynamics and the four-phases of autorotation.

See what an autorotation looks like from the pilot's perspective, as well as other views from both inside and outside the cockpit. A variety of helicopter concepts are presented using easy to understand phrases and state-of-the-art computer animation. This interactive training DVD includes important safety information, as well as thrilling never-before-seen video of R22 autorotations!

Thank you for your consideration,

Helicopter Concepts

Helicopter Concepts is pleased to announce that a sample video of the Autorotations in the R22 DVD is available for download! Please visit http://www.helicopterconcepts.com/products.htm and follow the link at the bottom of the page, which provides a fast-paced glimpse of what to expect in this DVD. Turn up the volume on your speakers and enjoy the show!