Ideas for saving money...

Guest rookie101

Guest rookie101

:lol: I think the world will flip on it's axis if I post "saving money" and "flight training" in one phrase, but here goes :blink: What are some ways to save money on flight training..... ah the world seems to be the same, all is well. Now, I've heard of getting the instrument rating in a fixed wing rather than a rotor because renting a fixed is cheaper than a rotor, but what other little tricks have you guys learned, used, or been told by those ahead of you and please do tell. Every little penny counts. Thanks ahead of time,

rookie

Well I'd do a lot of studying to cut down on the costs for ground instruction (it will go a lot faster if you know what you're talking about), also some schools don't charge for it. Shop around, buy block time when you can, maybe try working out something with the flight school (work for a discount, something like that, though its a longshot). If you want to fly helicopters exclusively, don't waste your money on flying airplanes because it may be cheaper, but helicopter hours are what you are trying to build for a job. If you just want a heli license, do the airplane first, as it will be cheaper assuming you pick it up quickly. Obviously this is all general, and any way you look at it its expensive as hell.

Guest rookie101
If you want to fly helicopters exclusively, don't waste your money on flying airplanes because it may be cheaper, but helicopter hours are what you are trying to build for a job. If you just want a heli license, do the airplane first, as it will be cheaper assuming you pick it up quickly. Obviously this is all general, and any way you look at it its expensive as hell.

So, for clarity, what your saying is if I am just going for a career in helicopters (and I am), just do the helicopters and screw the fixed wing. You got me all confused when you put in "If you just want a heli license, do the airplane first, as it will be cheaper assuming you pick it up quickly." (cut me some slack I had another 4 hour test today and I've got another one tomorrow and SAT's on Saturday :blink: :o )

Wait a sec here. You said you're taking SAT's which means you're going to college. But if you go to college, you can't afford to fly. But you are starting flight school soon so you can't afford to go to college. But if you don't go to college, you won't fly. Or will fly and go to college...wait...I'm confusing myself...mo I'm not...yes I am................

I wonder if you go to a college that has a flight programe, that might be a better choice than a flight school.

Aw heck, I don't know.

Later

The best advise that I can give you is to COMPLETELY commit to doing it (training) and do it right the first time.

1. Hands down the absolute best way to save your self some money is to train every day or as much as possible. The longer you go between flights the more you regress on your training. The first part of each flight is spent relearning what was taught in the previous lesson or in simpler terms your rusty in the begining of each lesson. A person who is flying every day is going to be much less rusty in the begining of the flight than someone flying once a week. Therefore, less time is wasted trying to get "the touch" back. I would actually recomend a flight in the morning, study in the afternoon, and a flight in the evening. Obviously, you have to build up to this. There comes a point where you get too tired, and you stop learning. Push this point every flight but when you get there tell your instructor and stop the lesson. * Don't burn yourself out doing this though. If you need a break take one. At some point you will hit a platue in your training. Take a week off. Don't do anything with helicopters. This will give your mind a chance to "reboot". Come back fresh and dive back in.

2. Get a good instructor. Find someone you comunicate well with, and feel comfortable around. A person who is having a good time and enjoys their training is going to learn faster and keep momentum up. If you end up with a lemon for an instructor don't hesitate to change instructors. This doesn't mean they are a bad instructor, your personalities just don't mesh. I went through three instructors until I found one that worked for me.

3. As far as actual training goes If your going to be a professional helicopter pilot then you need to train in helicopters. Obviously, Private first then I would do your instrument certificate. The reason I say this is the time you're investing on your instrument ticket will count toward the total time and PIC time on of your commercial. As far as doing it in a fixed wing v.s. airplane. You will need Helicopter time to get a job as an instructor. It is cheaper to get the certificate using a fixed wing but then you would more than likely still be short on helicopter time and have to pay for the time anyway. Next is Commercial license then CFI. CFII is not necissary but can help getting a position as an instructor. (Remember if your still short on time then get the CFII it wont cost anymore because you would have to pay to get your time up anyway)

*Most schools (their ins. anyway) are going to require 250-300 hrs helicopter to instruct. This is the amount of time you are looking at paying for. UNLESS, you are able to pick up a few commercial flights which would be few and far between. Some schools my be able to hire you on with less time if you complete their Professional program.

Just one last thing and this is just my opinion. Dont get your fixed wing license then try to get your helicopter if you want to fly helicopters for a living. Start in a helicopter. Of all the student I have ever taught the fixed wing pilots spend just as much time trying to learn the helicopter as the ones w/o any aviation experience. Actually, my best students are the ones that had no fixed wing experience. They caught on faster. The fixed wing guys try to fly the helicopter like a plane and struggle breaking that habit. Helicopter and Fixed wing are NOTHING alike. This is why they are two different category of aircraft.

Guest rookie101
Wait a sec here. You said you're taking SAT's which means you're going to college. But if you go to college, you can't afford to fly. But you are starting flight school soon so you can't afford to go to college. But if you don't go to college, you won't fly. Or will fly and go to college...wait...I'm confusing myself...mo I'm not...yes I am................

I wonder if you go to a college that has a flight programe, that might be a better choice than a flight school.

Aw heck, I don't know.

Later

Well, the flight school you and I are going to Witch offers the internet courses through UVSC for an aviation degree, which means that I can get a two year degree while I get flight training (I'll get A&P later on in life, if it works that is)

Well, the flight school you and I are going to Witch offers the internet courses through UVSC for an aviation degree, which means that I can get a two year degree while I get flight training (I'll get A&P later on in life, if it works that is)

Am i the only one here or is this for some reason stupid...

I am going to save up the £40000, then start training. It just seems wierd that no-one ever metions this, and just talks about loans and financing etc etc.

Actually, Rookie101 had an Idea that could work. We were chatting and we came up with a money making scheme. Pizza! Rookie named it “ROTOR HEAD PIZZA”( Pizza so good it will make your head spin). He would franchise it exclusively to helicopter students in training, so we all can make money for training. I think it might work. LOL. The chain will serve pizza cooked in a wood burning stove, ummm.

Guest rookie101
Actually, Rookie101 had an Idea that could work. We were chatting and we came up with a money making scheme. Pizza! Rookie named it “ROTOR HEAD PIZZA”( Pizza so good it will make your head spin). He would franchise it exclusively to helicopter students in training, so we all can make money for training. I think it might work. LOL. The chain will serve pizza cooked in a wood burning stove, ummm.

Ah yes, the pizza chain idea, who knows maybe one day..... B)

If you want to make some money while getting training try to get the rights to use the name and/or logo of the school your are working for and design some shirts or merchandise stuff and sell it to the other students. Worked for me.

The sad reality is that saving that much money is far easier said than done for most. But if at all possible it's by far the best way to go.

Not if you are living at home :rolleyes: :unsure:

Finding a good flight instructor is the best way I have found to save money. Many schools have several, fly with all of them so you can find the one that best fits your learning style. The instructor I usually fly with now can explain things to me in a way I understand best, and makes more sense to me. Everyone is different so finding the right flight instructor is going to save you time with your training, and money.