Overwhelmed Where do I get Started

I am 28 and would really like to get my foot in the door, i have no idea where to start. I live in ORegon and have requested infomation from the local flight schools. I have always wanted to fly and this seems like a great inbetween. Can anyone educate me on jobs a Helicopter pilot may have (tour guide, TV.etc) or even a payscale? I really am a newbee and any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hillsboro Aviation is an amazing school. That's where I went.

Jobs

EMS

Powerline patrol

Tours

Corporate

Oil Rigs

Instructing

Logging

Wild life Survey

Oil line patrol

Electronic News Gathering (ENG)

Police

Fire fighting

Charter

and many more.

Training Costs

$40k to $60k

Salary

Depends greatly on Location

Flight instruct will be your first job pay insn't very good but your still paying your dues at this point.

First commercial job Once you get 1000 hrs of time built should be $40-$47k.

After that total depends on location and job type.

EMS is one of the most popular. $40-$65k Salary 7 on 7 off schedule that half a years work. Earn Money Sleeping.

Corporate $45k-$80k depending on type of aircraft. This is usually on call type of work.

Hope this helps!

Yeah, what he said.

After the Silver State debaucle, I looked around and went to a couple of schools, eventually choosing the one in Corvallis-Avia-mainly because of location. Depending where you live and how far you're willing to drive, and if the programme suits your needs, then make your decision based on how you feel about those-and any other you think of-criteria.

By the way, I PM ya other thoughts. Also, where are you located? Might be able to find more info on other options available.

Later

I am 28 and would really like to get my foot in the door, i have no idea where to start. I live in ORegon and have requested infomation from the local flight schools. I have always wanted to fly and this seems like a great inbetween. Can anyone educate me on jobs a Helicopter pilot may have (tour guide, TV.etc) or even a payscale? I really am a newbee and any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hey there - I just wanted to say hi. My name is Tara and I have been going through this overwhelming process as well. I too am 28 and I'm in SLC and I am totally new to this! There are wonderful people on this website who have provided a lot of invaluable information to this regard. Just ask a lot of questions and read all of the forums. I have gone from this unrealistic crazy notion of being a helo pilot to actually having taken my intro flight, picked a school (I think) and working on funding. Things are starting to line up and fall into place but it is very overwhelming. You certainly aren't alone in this so feel free to contact me anytime.

How exciting for you!!!

Don't be overwhelmed because in this community, I've realised that everyone wants to help you and actually are dying to pass on some of their enthusiasm to you! I know you didn't ask about this but it might be a good idea too to start reading up on what you're embarking on. Also, if you haven't taken a familiarization flight, go for it! It could be one of the most memorable experiences of your life!

Where I come from all of the helo companies (only 3) here actually welcome potential or current students to come on tours... if you can do that in Oregon, its a good small taste of what you can expect life to be like for you once you're certified, flown enough hours and then been hired.

Good luck finding your school and fly safe!

jdegrave, I was just curious. What type of job are you doing at the moment? I am still in the decision process if this is the right thing for me as I'm working on getting things in line to start training. I have found this site to be very informative and look here first for answers to my stupid questions. I have alot of them! He he.... :lol:

Anyway, best of luck to the rest of you who are gathering info and picking schools as well. I hope you find the best place for you to train and get on to the place you want to be in life with flying as your chosen career!

Hey there - I just wanted to say hi. My name is Tara and I have been going through this overwhelming process as well. I too am 28 and I'm in SLC and I am totally new to this! There are wonderful people on this website who have provided a lot of invaluable information to this regard. Just ask a lot of questions and read all of the forums. I have gone from this unrealistic crazy notion of being a helo pilot to actually having taken my intro flight, picked a school (I think) and working on funding. Things are starting to line up and fall into place but it is very overwhelming. You certainly aren't alone in this so feel free to contact me anytime.

Hi Tara...just joined this site this evening.I was reading through the various posts and i am in the exact same position as you.Iam Patrick and i too had my first intro flight a short time ago and i loved it.Right now iam looking into schools and trying to figure out the whole funding process.

Best of luck in your efforts and iam sure we will pick up tips from one another and others on this site...

Choosing this path is a big decision but I think it's well worth it. Read what you see here and learn from it but don't be discouraged. Some people come across as being really negative but they just want to make sure that you know what you're getting into. You want as much information as you can get so that you can make informed decisions but don't let it stop you. I allowed negative people to get inside my head and it kept me out of the cockpit for 13 years. Now I'm back and trying to make up for lost time.

As for being overwhelmed, ask yourself "How do you eat an elephant?" The answer is, "One bite at a time."

Figure out what steps you can do right away and do them.

Some of the early steps:

1. Find a flight surgeon and schedule a physical. (Go on-line, call local fixed-wing schools, etc.)

2. Research flight schools in your area. (Go out to your closest small airport and ask if anyone knows where the closest helicopter school is. You may find a small one the is not on-line, does not advertise and is not generally well-known.

3. Call the flight schools you have identified and schedule an intro flight. Tell them what you are trying to do and ask them if they know of any financing that is available (if you need it.)

4. Decide on a school and begin training!

5. Figure out how you're going to pay for it.

The reason I put financing last is that if you consider it first, you may never get started. If you've already taken a couple of lessons, you'll be much more likely (and motivated) to find creative solutions to the financing problem!

jdegrave, I was just curious. What type of job are you doing at the moment? I am still in the decision process if this is the right thing for me as I'm working on getting things in line to start training. I have found this site to be very informative and look here first for answers to my stupid questions. I have alot of them! He he.... :lol:

Anyway, best of luck to the rest of you who are gathering info and picking schools as well. I hope you find the best place for you to train and get on to the place you want to be in life with flying as your chosen career!

Ace,

I'm currently flying corporate america around. I also still instruct a little but on a very part time basis. My best advise is that if you decide to start your training make sure you get a good instructor. I went through 3 before finding the one that's right for me. I have also tranferred a few students to another instructor because I thought they would be able to conect with the other instructor a little better.

Once your training is finished, be willing to move anywhere to get experience built. This will only help you get where you want to be faster and cheaper.

I would also try several types of jobs until you find the one that fits your needs.

The reason I put financing last is that if you consider it first, you may never get started. If you've already taken a couple of lessons, you'll be much more likely (and motivated) to find creative solutions to the financing problem!

That's a "Ready", "Fire", "Aim" approach that really doesn't seem prudent when contemplating an investment of more than $50k (almost three times that if it's financed). If one's enthusiasm is not sufficient to face the up-front truth about the cost it's probably not going to withstand the realities of employment in this field.

That's a "Ready", "Fire", "Aim" approach that really doesn't seem prudent when contemplating an investment of more than $50k (almost three times that if it's financed). If one's enthusiasm is not sufficient to face the up-front truth about the cost it's probably not going to withstand the realities of employment in this field.

Based on their prior statements, I'm assuming that they've already weighed the pros and cons of becoming a helicopter pilot (including the costs of training) and are still willing to jump in. The problem, as I read it, was in not knowing how to go about getting started.

If I've gotten a physical, made some phone calls and even taken an introductory flight, I've probably only spent a few hundred dollars. If I try to arrange financing and see that it's not doable, or is totally impractical, I haven't lost very much. On the other hand, I may love it so much that I find a creative solution and make it work.

I can't live my life according to a spreadsheet. If I'd been thinking about how much money I could make, I damn sure wouldn't have become a school teacher. I did it because I knew I loved teaching. I also love flying helicopters and I'm changing careers because I already see myself looking at the local ENG guys and saying, "I should be doing that." I don't want to retire after a career teaching and say "I wish I had..."

Jen,

If you don't want to move, go to Hillsboro Aviation. One of the best in the country. However, if you want to get an education and the best one within the aviation field, then Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is the place. You can get your ratings and a Bachelor of Science in an aviation discipline. The guys at the HAI convention this year said in the mentor program that the "ERAU grads will never have a problem getting a job in the industry....ever" THey do have some web presence. www.erau.edu or something like it. THere is a Professor there that runs the Helicopter program and he gave some fairly saavy advice that helped me help my son pick a path. His name is Burgess and I think you can get the number from the web site.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread. I am just getting started too. I've got my introductory lesson scheduled. The financing thing has me a little scared but I'm going to give it a try anyway. I'll make a more informed choice after the flight. I plan to ask a lot of questions and get information when I go. At the risk of violating the "don't think about the financing" rule, how does the financing generally work? Pay it back next year? 10 years? How did or are most of you doing it?

This is a great thread. I am just getting started too. I've got my introductory lesson scheduled. The financing thing has me a little scared but I'm going to give it a try anyway. I'll make a more informed choice after the flight. I plan to ask a lot of questions and get information when I go. At the risk of violating the "don't think about the financing" rule, how does the financing generally work? Pay it back next year? 10 years? How did or are most of you doing it?

I got 30K through Pilot Career Foundation and Key Bank. I'm paying it back in large chunks so that the interest doesn't eat me alive. I'll probably need more money before I'm done and I haven't decided if I'm going back to them for more or just use low-interest credit cards to finish up. I'm also playing Powerball. ;)