EC120,  Hot and High?

I have heard the rumor also that they are looking at replacing their EC120's with MD530F's.  As an EC120 pilot with a little over 700 hours in type I can tell you the 120 is NOT a hot and high ship.  It is a great helicopter at sea level under 100 degrees.  If you want hot and high performance look for something else.  I don't know of many entry level turbine helicopters that are great hot and high performers.

Helofixer, you forgot... Politics is what it is about.

Eagle1, if I remember right, when the EC120 first came out, they were talking about a bigger engine in it within several years. Also different blades. I have heard the cost is something else with the blades though. I remember them saying the engine is the same as the 1,100 hp one Eurocopter has, just parts inside it are derated giving them an easy upgrade with the right parts. At least that was the sales promo they tried to give us.

HeliMark,

The EC120 engine is the same as an 800 horse engine that is in one of their twins.  The engines have different wheels inside that make the power difference.  The 120 gained a couple hundred pounds of weight from the original design from vibration dampening hammers and some other counter weights on the head.  I think that is one of the major factors contributing to it's lack of performance.  The transmission is what is limiting the power right now.  I think as they get more time on them and see what the transmissions can take they will start bumping up the power.  Of course this is all hear say and not confirmed gospel, but it's what I think is going on.

• 1 month later...