Guard Question

I've searched and looked around , but couldn't find a firm answer. Can a person join the Army National Guard and have the specific unit send you to OCS and flight training? From what I've found I believe you can, you just have to get in the unit first, and then they may send you. Thanks

I am definitely not an expert on this, but I do know National Guard requirements vary state to state... States determine eledgibility requirements because of the way demographics vary. I stopped at an airport in Arkansas last October, saw a displayed leaflet ad and was surprised to see them looking for helicopter pilot candidates with an age cutoff of 46 years if you applied by a specific date in November! You can probably get much better information by contacting the Guard in the state in which you reside than here...

• 2 weeks later...
I've searched and looked around , but couldn't find a firm answer. Can a person join the Army National Guard and have the specific unit send you to OCS and flight training? From what I've found I believe you can, you just have to get in the unit first, and then they may send you. Thanks

Yes, you can join a guard unit and be sent to flight school by that unit, It can be a little political though and you don't always go back to that unit. Its really up to the state on which unit you return to. It usually has to do with your location reative to the unit and which unit has a slot and school date available for you. They will usually place you in a unit that is the closest to your location. You have two choices you can enlist and apply to become a warrant officer, or go to a college with an ROTC program and get sponsored by a unit to become a LT. I was enlisted as a mechanic on blackhawks for 3 years I then put in a warrant officer packet and was accepted to flight school. When I returned I was placed in a chinook unit as the needs of the state. So I did not return to the same unit.

From the Army site:

If you are a member of the National Guard, regardless of branch, and you wish to apply for a position as Warrant Officer in the Army National Guard, you must contact your states appropriate agency. Please visit the National Guard Recruiting web site at www.1800goguard.com for more information. Or you can email them at GoGuardOfficerRecruiting@ngb.army.mil

• 2 weeks later...
Be advised that if you plan to go to WO route, you might have to be ranked as SGT before you can apply. Thats how it works in the NY guard.

Wocs does not require you to be a Sgt to become a pilot, in fact it is the only WO occupation that does not require prior service in that field. But i guess each state can add their own criteria. Active duty will actually recruit you off the street. I was a spec 4 in the guard.