FH 1100 turbine heli

Guest pokey

I've dealt with him about 10 years ago selling him some 206 tools. It will be interesting to see what happens with his idea of "total turbine training" The price is very cheep, but having NO piston time & ALL the turbine time in a FH1100?-----ANYHOWS, like i say, will be "interesting" to see what happens with this idea.

As far as the FH1100 goes? Dont know exactly why, but, it's just "not" a marketable ship,,, it never has been & i doubt it ever will be. It may go back to that old saying "i dont fly anything that i dont like the looks of". Tooo bad too, 'cause from all that i have known about the 1100, its a reliable workhorse.

Guest pokey

850 new?!! holy smokes !!

i meant their training was cheep, i didnt know the ships cost that much ! I highly doubt they will ever sell a new one at that price. :(

This sounds like a good deal, 60k to train in all turbines from zero hours to commercial and get external load expierience? Then there is a chance that they will hire you on as an instructor later, whats the catch? I

This sounds like a good deal, 60k to train in all turbines from zero hours to commercial and get external load expierience? Then there is a chance that they will hire you on as an instructor later, whats the catch? I

I don't think there's a catch. However, no school can employ all their students after graduation. They will, like other schools, need to maintain a good student/instructor ratio.

Guest pokey

i highly doubt there is a "catch" too, this is a new prospect for this company( they own the type certificate for the 1100) tho, so ? They are trying as best as they can to set up a "new level" of training,,,,, ( i just wish the 1100 wasnt so ugly)

You have ALL heard the joke about a "2-bagger" ? i mean 3 ,,,,, ( the 3rd is for the dawg--so he dont hate ya in the morning) :(

(i wish i made this stuff up)

of korse !

and the moral of the story is:________________

i highly doubt there is a "catch" too, this is a new prospect for this company( they own the type certificate for the 1100) tho, so ? They are trying as best as they can to set up a "new level" of training,,,,, ( i just wish the 1100 wasnt so ugly)

A word about ugly. I don't think an operator will care if a ship is "ugly" as long as operating costs are low or lower than competition. It's all about the $$$.

I think the FH1100 looks good with the new nose bubble! The old (original) bubble was ugly. I talked with someone from the factory and they said this pic below was a prototype nose. They went with the current bubble after RnD. The tail boom reminds me of the Cobra. Everything I have read and seen on a FH1100 far as flying and maint was very favorable towards the aircraft.

Prototype nose bubble

Cobra in flight

Guest pokey

i dont think the 22 is ugly, its kinda "cute"

the 300 looks like a "grasshopper"

the JetRanger has "timeless elegance"

the 500 is a "flying easter egg" ( IF it is painted properly)

the A-star is ,,,well "french"

but that 1100? "speechless"

oh oh oh and the brantley? _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ hangman anyone?

<hint> we eat them in the summertime

Guest pokey
I don't think it looks that bad at all (but then, I really like the S-64). I guess it's just one of those "eye of the beholder" things. Frankly, it reminds me a little of the Bo-105

ok ok ok ,,, yer rite ! maybe i am being a bit too hard on the poor ole 1100 :o

and as for the s-64? only ONE word for that puppy "awesome"

check out some of the pics on erickson's site :

http://www.ericksonaircrane.com/

Guest rookie101
ok ok ok ,,, yer rite ! maybe i am being a bit too hard on the poor ole 1100 :o

http://www.ericksonaircrane.com/

Yes you may be being a little hard on the 1100 but the one helicopter that really does deserve the abuse it gets is the KMAX-1200...UGLY!!! I mean come on, that thing is so ugly I bet it's manufacturer has a hard time looking at it

KMAX- http://www.airliners.net/open.file/013416/L/

Now, to get off the subject of dissing helicopters for their looks (and not admiring them for performance) I am really interested in this helo school. All turbine time, that sounds pretty kick ass, but really this sounds too good to be true. It'll probably take me a year or more to get 400 hrs. turbine time so why wouldn't something like this catch on real quick (I am going to assume operting costs?). Walking out of flight school with 400+ hours of turbine time (I am including instruction time). The only real problem I see with doing this (and it's a doozy) is that if you don't get hired on by the school your pretty much screwed :blink:

BTW- I am always at that erickson aircrane website watching the videos, I love it!! Just goes to show you what thrilling weekends I have.....

Rookie,

I don't think the newer Kmax's look to bad. Now, the older Kaman's the USAF had, did not win any beauty contests. It was flat out ugly against a UH-1 on static display at our base in IL.

Click here HH-43B

Guest rookie101
Rookie,

I don't think the newer Kmax's look to bad. Now, the older Kaman's the USAF had did not win any beauty contests. It was flat out ugly against a UH-1 on static display at our base in IL.

HH-43B

I know of an older (55+) EMS pilot who flew one of those, said it was a very good machine. It reminds me of the KA-32. I really don't know what to say about the 32 other than it looks like a stubbier version of an airplane with the wings replaced by the rotors....very interesting.

KA-32 http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.sear...inct_entry=true

Guest pokey
Yes you may be being a little hard on the 1100 but the one helicopter that really does deserve the abuse it gets is the KMAX-1200...UGLY!!! I mean come on, that thing is so ugly I bet it's manufacturer has a hard time looking at it

I am really interested in this helo school. All turbine time, that sounds pretty kick ass, but really this sounds too good to be true.

Kinda reminds me of Rodney Dangerfield rookie ! "i was so ugly when i was born , the Dr. slapped my mother!"

My take on the 1100 school is: These guys bought the type certificate years back for it & are trying whatever it takes to make some $$ from it, AND eventually sell new helicopters. I dont know it they have production certificate, but imagine if not they are trying to get it. On their site somewhere, they have the operating cost listed as (i forget exact amount, but under $200.oo/hr). So you can see that if they do all their own maintenace too? their cost to operate is even lower.... I would bet, that IF the school is a success, the cost will go up. I really do think these guys have the best of intentions.ON THAT NOTE:

reminds me of a saying me & one of my good drinkin' buddies made up years ago, "built with the CHEAPest parts, and the BEST intentions"

Pokay, what is your overall objection to this aircraft? As far as looks, it isn't a Eurocopter, but it isn't as ugly as a Schweitzer either. I think it has potential, and I wouldn't write it off unless you know something the rest of us doesn't know. Although I don't have any time in the FH1100, I would definately give it a serious look... after all, it almost became the primary helicopter for the Army! If you know the political background on that fiasco, you'd understand that the FH1100 is a very capable aircraft. In any event, I would encourage folks to fly as many different types as you can (even the Brantly B2B).

Guest pokey

Rickster,,, if you read back in my posts, you can see that i do kinda feel sorry for the 1100 and did acknowledge that it probably is and was a reliable workhorse. However, i would bet my bottom $ that if you park it out on the ramp next to a 206, put up a sign "helicopter rides" and see what customer wants to ride in what, you will get the picture. Now if the 1100 rides are substantially cheeper? may even out.

and the Rodney remark was not oriented at the 1100 OR the kmax,,, just at rookie's post about ugly.

oh, park the brantly out there too :rolleyes:

Guest pokey

Holy Cow !!! mechanic ! i dont think i ever seen that pic B4. has the bubble of a brantly, no no a 105, no no 1100 no no,,,, WTF did they get that bubble?!

now on to the tail--definately 206

rotor head? hmmm,, stabilizer bar, my guess is there was a 47 minus them parts

i bet there were quite a few hughes 269' missing their tailboom struts too

eng/trans cowl,,, looks like cheep copy of the 1100

skid cross tubes come off huey

Years ago (1989) i was to a guys place in cohocton , n.y. Dennis Clarq. He was putting together a musuem of old helicopters & i remember he had a very early 206, (different from that YOH-4, but i think the eng/trans cowling was similar, maybe the way the tail boom/fuselage area looks too), he had one of the 1st hughes 269's too, (the bubble looked like it was made out of spare parts left over from used lawn furniture) cant remember IF it had the "bell 47" welded tailboom tho--i think it did.

If anyone ever gets up that way in ny? may want to stop in & see him IF he is still willing to show ya around.

i shud even git back in touch & see what he has got now,,,,