FH 1100 turbine heli

Guest rookie101

hmm...what was the background of the skycrane. If i remember correctly it wasn't sirkorsky who built the first one. It was a lot shorter and I am going to guess that it was Boeing, but hey, that is a guess

ummmmm...since when does the "look" of an aircraft or for that matter much of any mode of transport REALLY mean anything? I mean ok BMW, Mercedes are high end quality and luxury cars, but I dont spend more than 2 seconds looking at them at a traffic light, not that impressive sorry.... I wouldnt be so harch to judge the engineering behind the style of this bird.

I was at an airshow and got to hob knob with some of the pilots and sitting inside a full IFR, Turbine chopper, YOU DONT SEE MUCH except gages and flip switches, just little itty bitty windows. So my 2 cents is not to care about the way I might look in the chooper or how the chopper looks..if its fun to fly thats what counts

Guest rookie101
ummmmm...since when does the "look" of an aircraft or for that matter much of any mode of transport REALLY mean anything? I mean ok BMW, Mercedes are high end quality and luxury cars, but I dont spend more than 2 seconds looking at them at a traffic light, not that impressive sorry.... I wouldnt be so harch to judge the engineering behind the style of this bird.

I was at an airshow and got to hob knob with some of the pilots and sitting inside a full IFR, Turbine chopper, YOU DONT SEE MUCH except gages and flip switches, just little itty bitty windows. So my 2 cents is not to care about the way I might look in the chooper or how the chopper looks..if its fun to fly thats what counts

Agreed. In fact the only time I have in a helicopter is about a half-hour and that was in a double-deuce. Now, that isn't a very nice looking helicopter by any means, but I had the time of my life in it. Plus, as you can see from what the rest of the guys have said, they rely more on the safety of a helo rather than the looks, still doesn't mean we can't pock fun at their looks. (Note- the polls says for just training helicopters, but I am going to take a wild guess :rolleyes: and say that every reasonable pilot will want safety over looks. If they choose looks over safety, they won't be here on earth much longer :blink: )

Poll- http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/helicopterfor...=3816&hl=safety

Cheers,

rookie

Guest rookie101
hmm...what was the background of the skycrane. If i remember correctly it wasn't sirkorsky who built the first one. It was a lot shorter and I am going to guess that it was Boeing, but hey, that is a guess

Well, aside from answering my own question, I did my homework and this was the best I could come up with. http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contribution...ilborg/3138.htm. I know that you ol' farts who like the history of helicopters will love this (I enjoy just because it involves helicopters, anything else that involves history is booorringg.) Enjoy,

rookie

from 0 to turbine hero does sound enticing and for 60k not to shabby. From the numbers i saw it boils down to $368 per dual hr. But even after this 6 week course you are no where near the 1000 hrs mark that FACE IT, YOU NEED THEM 1ks, to get a turbine job. I wouldnt say dont do it. Flying is not laid out in semesters or time frame like High School.... everyone goes at it in their own pace, monetary constraints etc etc.

PPL averages out to $8000-!0,000 2x for instrument and commercial. So roughly at the lower end of 30k. Then its either off to a flight school for 2 years at 20k or win the lottery and fly your own ship until you got enough hours for an insurance company to endorce you to act as SIC and roll over into turbines. Theres a bunch of ENG companies out there selling SIC seats for $150 hr in astars, eurocopters. 60k-30k=30k or 200 hrs of SIC time) As tedious or disappointing as it may seem to a rookie pilot "be ready for the long haul." This flight industry isnt knew but good luck in finding your own little short cuts, just be aware that many people before us have tried to find them short cuts as well. Just gotta get in line sometimes. Not aware of any "prefered membership reward cards" that get you to the head of the line any quicker than patients, perseverance and professionalism

~see you in the clouds

• 1 year later...