maunaloa helicopters

Was wondering if anyone had any experience with maunaloa helicopters in hawaii. Ive been looking to move to hawaii for a while now, however I was suprised to hear that there was a flight school there. The url is http://www.maunaloahelicopters.com/ I know their rates are not listed by they emailed me and said its:

$225 - R22

$450 - R44

$750 - MD500

$1500 - Bell 407

Ground school is $33/hr

Examiner Fee is $400

I was expecting the prices to be STEEP as hawaii is in the middle of nowhere, but those prices actaully seem pretty average, maybe a little on the highside but not bad, am I right or no? Any feedback about this school would be great. If I do go after this career, I am looking for the best possible education, so if this school is just OK, I would be happy to move elseware for a better school. Thanks for the help.

I like it. You can move as fast or as slow as you want. Good instructors, nothing but respect for them. As a matter of fact I might be teaching on Oahu soon. Our chief pilot has over 5000 hours in various models and our examiner is ATP and the owner of the school. Plenty of aircraft on the Big Island. Oahu has 2, one is the instrument trainer. We should be getting a third.

Which island did you plan on going to? Oahu has class B airspace. The only bad thing about that is you have to fly about 10 minutes to get to the private/commercial training airfield. Instrument can be done at HNL.

Any more questions just ask.

Aloha, Stu.

I am not sure about an island. I am really not sure I could afford living there and the cost of schooling. However if I train elseware I could always move there after. How is the helicopter pilot job market in hawaii at the moment? BTW: nice bike I ride a yzf-600r.

StuandJoy - Can you comment on the relative number of students at each of their facilities? I think they only have one helicopter on Kauai. I'm starting training with them later this year and I can't wait, but I don't know which island yet. Training in the HNL airspace seems like it would be good practice, but I was hoping to leave behind the big city traffic and congestion that Honolulu has. How do you like living on Oahu?

Slick, it seems like jobs are to be had. There are a bunch of tour companies.

Whirlwind, I dislike Oahu itself. It is a great training area but there are so many people. Kauai does only have one chopper but they dont have many students. The big island is the place to go if you like privacy once in awhile. Class B is good for radio work and airspace requirements but sometimes it is a pain for instrument training. I love flying here but if I had a chance to do it I would have done my training on the Big Isle.

Any more ?s guys just ask. I will either answer or find the answers for ya. Good luck in your training.

We are the only heli school in the islands. The thing is there are a flood of japanese students thru the big island and we are getting more on Oahu every month.

There is constantly a turnaround of instructors except on Kauai. Big Island instructors could easily knock out 1000 hours in a year if ya dont mind flying 6-7 days a week. Its pretty easy to get hired on with Mauna Loa, especially if you train with them. Ben gets to know the students who plan on instructing and keeps an eye on their training progress to fit them in. Now, nothing is guaranteed but I have yet to see a student not get a job that wanted one.

I sent the company an e-mail but have yet to get a reply. I was looking at their professional pilot course http://www.maunaloahelicopters.com/courses/r22/pro1.html and I wasn't sure if they include the cost of books and stuff or if you have to purchase them seperately? Could you fill me in on any extra things I would need to buy, and the cost. Thanks.

~Kevin

You have to buy the books/extras. Personal headset if you want one. If not, we have a few. We also have a few kneeboards laying around.

Also remember, that cost does not include check rides and extra hours to complete ratings if ya need em.

The school here in Oahu is usually really accessible. I have sat in the office "studying" for hours on end getting free ground school.

Are you ex-military? We are a part 141 school so we can do VA.

Kevin, if you want to give me your email I will make our office manager get up with you ASAP. He can give you all the details. His name is PJ Oreilly. If you want I can PM you his number also.

Hmm, I still have a little more than a year before I will have to get to where I am going, so I have some time to decide on what I am doing. Did you go to hawaii specifically for your flight training, live there before hand, or where you raised there?

My wife is military. She got orders here and I needed a career change. I never thought of helicopters till I got here and met one of their instructors. I always found fixed wing boring. I was a flight engineer for about 6 years before we moved. The rotor wing is a amazing thing.

• 2 weeks later...

-aloha, im much in the same boat as slick and trying to get info on Mauna loa helicopters.

i was planning on moving to Oahu because my friend lives there and for the surf, but now im not really sure if thats the right move. Does anyone have any info about Kauai compared to the other locations?

i heard they only had 1 flight instructor. well i just recently went on my first fight lesson and im eager to get started in the right direction, i've been to oahu 3 times and kauai once but i've never been to the big island.

any info would definetly be appreciated - thks

Hi,

I found mauna loa Helicopters on the internet this weekend. Looks great for a good price. But I am in a doubt: Helicopter Adventures Inc in florida is about the same price but over there you can train on both the R22 and the 300CB so after graduation your chance for a instructor career is bigger than when you trained on a R22 only (at Mauna Loa). And something else: the price for accomodation in Hawaii is around 500/600 but at HAI you can share your apartment with an other pilot so it will cost you 300$. Is it possible to do the same thing in Hawaii? If the total costs in hawaii are allmost the same as in florida, of course I prefer Hawaii.

Does anyone knows the % of flightschools in the US that train on Schweizer 300?

Greats

I dont know the percentage of schools that use the 300 but if you look in the job listings there are usually a few for schwiezer pilots in there and thats a pretty good indication. It doesnt matter how many schools are out there doing whatever if they're not hiring.

I don't know aboutt others in this thread, but I am an american citizen. I emailed the owner, and he says generally they hire citizens over others so that already increases my chance of getting a job with them. However I am really not sure if I can afford to go there, seeing as the cost of living in hawaii is so high. I'm guessing your not a citizen?