269/300 blade span question...

Guest 13snoopy

Guest pokey

A friend of mine gets his 300C thru an 18 foot wide door, altho the 1 skid is right up against the door jamb, and he must turn the blades to clear as it moves thru the door. Without turning the blades, the minimum would be 25 feet. I am considering building a hangar & am putting in a 30 foot wide door, for my B model, (which has almost a foot shorter blade) 23 feet would be the minimum for an A or B model.

A friend of mine gets his 300C thru an 18 foot wide door, altho the 1 skid is right up against the door jamb, and he must turn the blades to clear as it moves thru the door. Without turning the blades, the minimum would be 25 feet. I am considering building a hangar & am putting in a 30 foot wide door, for my B model, (which has almost a foot shorter blade) 23 feet would be the minimum for an A or B model.
18 feet sounds about right for the minimum - 23 feet is about the span of the 'C' model rotor when you put one blade straight over the nose or tail.

I've always wondered if there were aerodynamic problems with flying your helo right into it's parking spot in the hangar (assuming the building was well wide enough). Would the containment of the air in the hangar be like super ground effect?

I've always wondered if there were aerodynamic problems with flying your helo right into it's parking spot in the hangar (assuming the building was well wide enough). Would the containment of the air in the hangar be like super ground effect?

Im pretty sure the down wash would be recirculated through the rotor system which causes a higher induced flow resulting in greatly reduced performance or potentialy a roll as a result of dysemetry of lift . Could be wrong though

Im pretty sure the down wash would be recirculated through the rotor system which causes a higher induced flow resulting in greatly reduced performance or potentialy a roll as a result of dysemetry of lift . Could be wrong though

Aerodynamics aside, you wouldn't be able to keep anything in the hanger unless it was tied down. What would happen the first time you forgot about securing the trashcans, or if you left out empty oil bottles. They may just get blown to the back of the hanger, and stay there, or they could get recirculated into the main or tail rotor.

Guest pokey

i seen 'em do it in the movies & they dont appear to have any problems. Birds fly thru tiny spaces, holes & places i woudnt take a helicopter.

seriously tho, altho i never tried it? i dont think it would have much effect.

read the "chicken" post in the grapevine tho,,, kinda along the same line as this question ( in my book)

• 2 weeks later...

It would depend on the size of the hangar. If it is only large enough for the helicopter, then I think that you are going to create some problems for yourself. Not only with the aerodynamics, but ticking off those with the hangars next to you for stirring up a mess everytime you taxi in or out. Not to mention the stress to the structual integrity of the hangar (or the neighboring hangars). Just make sure that you don't wind up blowing the doors off the tracks, or cause a bifold door to sway in the breeze.

IMHO, you'd be best off using ground handling wheels, or get a dolly and a tug if you are too lazy to push your bird.

Doug