Counter Drug Raid

Just curious if there are any Counter Drug Raid pilots out there? Whats the job like? Do you enjoy the work?

Are you away a from home for weeks at a time or do you get to come home everynight? How far do you travel? What agencies do you work with? I assume most pilots are in the national guard? Are you paid on ADSW orders? Is it compatible with family life?

Are you talking about a specific agency? Or just LE pilots who perform narcotics type missions?

I'm mostly curious about the CA, OR, AZ, NV Nation Guard counter drug Raid program but, am interested in LE pilots who perform narcotics type missions as well.

Hey cous!!!,

How you been buddy? How's life in the Chinook world? About RAID programs, doesn't the CA National Guard have a program? I know OR does... it's a good way to build some time through the Guard if anything. Talk to you later bud... say hi to the family for me!

Hey cous!!!,

How you been buddy? How's life in the Chinook world? About RAID programs, doesn't the CA National Guard have a program? I know OR does... it's a good way to build some time through the Guard if anything. Talk to you later bud... say hi to the family for me!

Hey Bud, Chinooks are great and I love the unit. Lots of experiance CA does have a raid program so does most of the bordering states but I don't know much about it. Hope all is well out at Benning. take care

AV8

You may already know this...but there is a Chinook unit out of Stockton that is always down here in Fresno, and they take our CAMP guys out during harvesting season. In fact..they are here this weekend practicing firefighting out at Pine Flat lake.

Hey thanks for the info! I'll have to look inti that.

Hey thanks for the info! I'll have to look inti that.

While flying interdiction last year in Fresno, ect. not once did a Chinook have a hand. I dont recall where the OH 58s came from.

Fresno, Air Force B212, Shasta county the 129th out of Moffet field, flying Blackhawks. Chinooks were not involved last year in Central California. Civilian Contractors have been playing a majority role for years as far as the California flight Operations go, with assistance from the local counties air units if available. The military is not allowed to shorthaul members of the DOJ.

Good flying, every day is different, and unless you are 1000AGL you cant (Better not) pickle the load.

You may already know this...but there is a Chinook unit out of Stockton that is always down here in Fresno, and they take our CAMP guys out during harvesting season. In fact..they are here this weekend practicing firefighting out at Pine Flat lake.

Where are your guys out of? Central Regions? I look forward to working with everybody once again.

• 2 weeks later...
Just curious if there are any Counter Drug Raid pilots out there? Whats the job like? Do you enjoy the work?

Are you away a from home for weeks at a time or do you get to come home everynight? How far do you travel? What agencies do you work with? I assume most pilots are in the national guard? Are you paid on ADSW orders? Is it compatible with family life?

I think that you are asking a lot of questions that many of those flying the mission wouldn't want posted all over the internet. How do I know this, I flew the missions for many years, and there are just certain things that are best left unsaid.

Doug

• 1 month later...
I think that you are asking a lot of questions that many of those flying the mission wouldn't want posted all over the internet. How do I know this, I flew the missions for many years, and there are just certain things that are best left unsaid.

Doug

Doug,

PM me please if you see this...some questions.

Thanks

• 6 months later...

Yo Scott, what's happenin' it's Chad. I'm finally on here.

FL ARNG also has a raid program, the problem with the raid is that it's hard to get into. A buddy of mine is going through the 60 course right now, but he's assigned to the RAID. From what I have heard, they pretty much stay within their own state, can be gone for a couple days at a time, but not too long, with the exception of the Border Patrol mission.

CHAD

• 3 weeks later...

We have a guy with us here in Iraq that flys for our RAID unit back home(Arkansas). He loves it. They mainly fly OH-58Cs. He stays on continuous ADSW orders and he's home about 6 or seven months out of the year. The summer is very busy for those guys. They fly all over the state looking for drugs. I think he also has flown the northern border some during the winter. These units are also slotted to get the new LUH coming out. Over all, if you can get on with RAID it would be a great gig. Hope that helps. Fly safe.

• 5 months later...

There is alot going on in the RAID world right now. Anyone who has been following the helicopter news should know that the RAID and some MEDEVAC units are slated to get the UH-72A (EC-145). Along with this change the RAID units are transitioning from RAID detachments (usually on full time ADSW orders) to fully staffed Surveilence & Support (S&S) companies with both full time and traditional M-Day soldiers. Problem is that most states arn't getting the UH-72A for several years and there aren't too many OH-58 A/C pilots and mechanics around anymore. This has created some vacancies in the new units that were hard to get into in the past. Another problem since these are a new type of unit no one knows how exactly a S&S company is supposed to operate. If you are a OH-58 A/C guy and you are interested check with your SAO or S-1 to see if the S&S company in your state needs anyone. There are very few OH-58 transition, IP, and RAID qualification courses availible and everyone is fighting fow what few slots there are. If you are new to RAID, having a law enforcement background is a plus.

• 7 months later...

I am not in a RAID unit, but I do fly with the MD Nat Guard RAID Unit since I am in Law Enforcement in the drug enforcement division. Great guys. They fly the 58's. I may be able to put you in touch with one of them if you have questions about getting into a unit.