Temsco

Witch

What can one tell me about Temsco?

I've read their website, but little information on the piloting aspect. Can any current or former Temsco pilots tell me a little about their operations and typical work day?

Thanx

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TEMSCO is based out of Ketchikan, Alaska. It also has bases in Juneau, Skagway, Petersburg, Wrangell, and San Angelo, Texas (EMS). Juneau and Skagway operate tour based operations in the summer which hire relatively low time pilots to fly glacier and dog sledding helicopter tours. TEMSCO's other bases fly fire fighting, drill/mining exploration, survey, OAS/BLM/USFS, animal capture, powerline construction, medium lift, logging support, and all other utility work.

A typical day depends on whether you are talking about a tour pilot or a contract pilot.

See:

Moose Capture Video

Moose Pics

TEMSCOPic1.jpg

TEMSCOPic2.jpg

Tell me about tours. It seems that'll be where the low-time pilot would start out(?).

By the way, I hear the skeeters are as big as B-52's up there.

Thanx

Later

Tell me about tours. It seems that'll be where the low-time pilot would start out(?).

By the way, I hear the skeeters are as big as B-52's up there.

Thanx

Later

The bugs here in Southeast are not as heavy as they are in the Interior. Up there you need to have a head net and enough deet on to kill a large cow. It varies here in Southeast Alaska but Juneau is mild as far as mosquitoes.

Tours can be fun or they can be boring depending on your outlook.

A day in the life of a glacier tour pilot:

You get up and go to the airport after coordinating with the other pilots on vehicle usage (company vehicles are available to the seasonal pilots).

After preflight, there is a "Q & D" session. Basically a pilot meeting discussing the weather, safety, flight risk assessments, problems, and any other items related to the day. There are three basic tours in Juneau. Mendenhall Tour, Dog Sled Tour, and the Pilot's Choice. The most flight time is flying Mendenhall and Dog Sled Tours.

The Mendenhall Tours are flown in flights which average around 5 to 6 aircraft but have gone as high as 9 helicopters. A pilot is loaded with tourists (up to 6 per aircraft) then the pilot departs for the glacier giving a narrated tour over the top portions of the glacier then returns to a lower site on the glacier where glacier guides are waiting (they were flown up before the first flight of the day). The pilot drops off those tourists then goes back to the airport to get more. Load and repeat... all day.

Break pilots are assigned to relieve pilots throughout the day. Every 2 to 3 blocks of tours a break pilot gives the flying pilot a chance to use the little pilot's room and/or get something to eat/drink.

The Dog Sled Tours follow the same routine except for landing higher up on the glacier in snow.

The Pilot's Choice Tour is a more intimate affair for the pilot. The pilot is also the guide once they land. The Pilot's Choice Tour is also more flexible on the landing zones. Most pilots will fly to a far away glacier which may have unique appeal and is not on the normal flightseeing route. There are 2 landings on the Pilot's Choice Tour but the flight time the pilot gets is much less than flying the other tours so these are not the big time builders. The Pilot's Choice, however, is the preferred tour for the returning pilots who wish to have a more relaxing season and have more interaction with their passengers (also more TIPS).

The Dog Sled Tours will have sling loads to take down as the items that were eaten need to be removed from the glacier via three 55 gallon barrels. This gives some of the pilots some external load time.

That's about it for the tour flying. Sometimes there are flightseeing charters but these are few.

Personally, I have a pretty good combination of charter and tour flying. Either one has its good and bad points but all in all this is a pretty amazing place to fly. One of our tour pilots this year can't stop saying, "This is so awesome!” All of the other pilots share his enthusiasm.

That moose video was great. I wonder if that's the equivilent of an alien abduction in the moose world?

"It came shooting out of the sky, it was red with a spinning disk, then it just stopped and hovered.

Thats the last thing I remember!"

What's the SOP for a 1000hr no turbine newbie at Temsco? I've seen they hire these but I was wondering what they do as far as training for the A-star tour ships. Is it pretty common or are there only a couple on a desperate-for-pilots basis?

So the Mendenhall and dog sledTours seems like a ferry job, while the Pilots Choice is more of a guided tour with champagne. I think I'd be interested in the ferry part, especially the 55 gal drums part. I figure that'll help in future employment.

But alas, I'm having-for lack of a better word-anxiety. I'll start another thread about this to share with you at a later date.

But for now, I think Temsco might be an option.

Later

Guest pokey

i really like that "log" landing pad,,,,,bet that takes some "getting used to" and IF ya do shut down & get out,,, "watch that 1st step"?

and a thing about the bugs? "one day yer the rotor blade, one day yer the bug"

What's the SOP for a 1000hr no turbine newbie at Temsco? I've seen they hire these but I was wondering what they do as far as training for the A-star tour ships. Is it pretty common or are there only a couple on a desperate-for-pilots basis?

If you have 1,000 hours helicopter PIC then you can fly at TEMSCO. There is no requirement for turbine time. I think the turbine guys will agree that flying a turbine is actually easier than flying a piston as far as rpm control.

The Astar training is similar to a factory school. I believe you fly around 10 to 15 hours in the Astars and then there is more training (another 1 to 5 hours) once you get to your specific base.

So the Mendenhall and dog sledTours seems like a ferry job, while the Pilots Choice is more of a guided tour with champagne. I think I'd be interested in the ferry part, especially the 55 gal drums part. I figure that'll help in future employment.

The drum slinging is usually only the returning pilots (2nd season or more). The 133 card is sort of a carrot to come back.

I recommend anyone interested in flying for TEMSCO to call the chief pilot is Ketchikan (907) 225-5141 and talk to him if you are interested. Currently there are Tour Pilot Positions available and 500D Contract Pilots Needed (1,500 PIC Helicopter Minimum for the Contract Pilots.)

i really like that "log" landing pad,,,,,bet that takes some "getting used to" and IF ya do shut down & get out,,, "watch that 1st step"?

and a thing about the bugs? "one day yer the rotor blade, one day yer the bug"

Only some log pads are safe to shutdown on. Most are land light on the skids and yell, "get out".

How about this: "one day yer the rotor blade, one day yer the bug, & one day yer the pilot who feels like a bug."

Rey,

What are housing conditions like? Per diem? What's the season typically? I knew a CFI named Jason that went up there a awhile ago, but not sure if it was with Temsco. Typically in the season, what's the flight average per day?

Cheers-

Rob

Guest rookie101

Well might as well join the band wagon...Hey Rey hows it going? I've got a question concerning fires. What does it take to fly fires up there. What are the requirment set by TEMSCO to start flying fires? Would you guys take a tour pilot who has been working with TEMSCO for three or four seasons and put them into an SIC to fight fires or would you train them so that they can sit in as PIC? hmm...this might all be dejavu, I think I am starting to ask the same questions over and over to different people..... :wacko:

Rey,

What are housing conditions like? Per diem? What's the season typically? I knew a CFI named Jason that went up there a awhile ago, but not sure if it was with Temsco. Typically in the season, what's the flight average per day?

Cheers-

Rob

Housing is a duplex and some rooms are shared. Housing is paid for. The season is normally May to September. Flights average around 4 to 6 hours per day. $15 per day for food in addition to the salary. Also, pilots get an addition to their salary for the insurance compensation.

Well might as well join the band wagon...Hey Rey hows it going? I've got a question concerning fires. What does it take to fly fires up there. What are the requirment set by TEMSCO to start flying fires? Would you guys take a tour pilot who has been working with TEMSCO for three or four seasons and put them into an SIC to fight fires or would you train them so that they can sit in as PIC? hmm...this might all be dejavu, I think I am starting to ask the same questions over and over to different people..... :wacko:

If you already have 1,500 hours you may be eligible for flying fires. There are a couple of 1st season tour pilots who were transitioned into PIC Fire Contracts on their second year. TEMSCO will train the right person in external load if they show the ability and the correct attitude.

You know, this Temsco thing looks like something I'd love to do...when-or if-I get to 1,000 hours. At this point, I still have reservations of being a copter pilot-probably from uncertainty.

I wonder if flying in other countries might be doable?

But keep the info coming. This is gettin' interrestin'.

Later

By the way, I was looking at shirts sold by the website, and got to wondering about the one shirt that says, "There is life after Temsco." Might this be a running gag?

Later

Rey,

Are you based in Juneau?

If so, were you the guy running the computer during the tour pilot meeting earlier this month?

Just curious, I didn't get a chance to meet many people at the meeting.

Bart

Rey,

Are you based in Juneau?

If so, were you the guy running the computer during the tour pilot meeting earlier this month?

Just curious, I didn't get a chance to meet many people at the meeting.

Bart

Yup, that was me. Came in on my day off. You work for ERA?

Yep I work for Era,

It sure is awesome up here, much better scenery than in the GOM!

Hopefully I'll get another chance to meet some of you guys this summer, it's starting to get busy.

Fly safe!

Aaron

Well, wouldn't you know it...my IP knows a couple of people working for Temsco. My mission now is to find out who and submit inquiries.

Who woulda thunk?

Later

Bart, what kind of flying does Era do and what is the typical day of a pilot there?

• 1 year later...
Sorry to revive, this old, dead, old thread. I was wondering how much money the average 1000 hr pilot will make signing on for his first season?

Temsco paid (gross) $1500/mo and a small per diem, last year. Housing and shared transport also provided. Chip? Rey?

Temsco paid (gross) $1500/mo and a small per diem, last year. Housing and shared transport also provided. Chip? Rey?

Please tell me that the 1500 a MONTH is a typo. Cuz if you take that multiply by 5 months divide by the number of weeks, add in 15 bucks a day for food, divide all that up, etc to then get an average hourly rate for just 35 hrs a week, it only gets worse if you work more hrs, they pay 13.71 and hour, which unless I'm a just expecting too much, no one would work for that.

Yeah, that is just crazy that someone could/would work for that, I did the numbers based on what I understand from this thread.

1,500 / 4 weeks = 375 per week. ( since 15 bucks a day will prolly be the LEAST one could eat on per day, we can't count that into the pay. )

375 / 6 days a week = 62.50 a day

62.50 / 12 hr day ( cuz that is how much time or MORE you'll be there a day ) = ........... dunh dunh duuuuuunh! $5.20 an hour to fly after you spent 60k to become a pilot!

Lets be nice and say you only are there for EXACTLY 8 hrs.... 62.50 / 8 hrs = $7.81 per hr.

I'm sorry, but I do not at this time see a way for anyone to live or work for that much/little. :blink: :huh:

At least with the place that pays 5k a month it works out to somewhere between 14.00 - 26.00 per hour depending on whether you divide by a 14, 12 or 8 hr day.

Yes, unfortunately people will work for that. That's one reason Temsco has so many accidents.

Gomer Pylot,

Okay, point taken and I do agree with you on that it is low pay for a first year pilot. However, what is the excuse in EMS or GOM or ENG or corporate or private owners when they have accidents? I don't think it is a direct relation to pay but to safety culture. Safety is a result of management, pilots, training, maintenance, culture, norms, risk assessment, personal limits, etc... No company and no person is immune from accidents.

Be careful when you label one company or an individual as being "unsafe". Just my opinion but we are all in this together and thinking you are immune from having an accident or are better because you haven't had an accident is not a basis of being safe. It may just be you are lucky.

I have never had an accident in over 20 years of flying (knock on wood) but I may be unsafe if I believe I am better than "Brand X." I could just be lucky. Be careful when you generalize. You just insulted hundreds of pilot who have flown for Temsco over the past 40 years and have flown accident free.

-Rey