Temsco

Witch

Yeah, that is just crazy that someone could/would work for that, I did the numbers based on what I understand from this thread.

1,500 / 4 weeks = 375 per week. ( since 15 bucks a day will prolly be the LEAST one could eat on per day, we can't count that into the pay. )

375 / 6 days a week = 62.50 a day

62.50 / 12 hr day ( cuz that is how much time or MORE you'll be there a day ) = ........... dunh dunh duuuuuunh! $5.20 an hour to fly after you spent 60k to become a pilot!

Lets be nice and say you only are there for EXACTLY 8 hrs.... 62.50 / 8 hrs = $7.81 per hr.

I'm sorry, but I do not at this time see a way for anyone to live or work for that much/little. :blink: :huh:

At least with the place that pays 5k a month it works out to somewhere between 14.00 - 26.00 per hour depending on whether you divide by a 14, 12 or 8 hr day.

captkirkyota,

You are right. You won't get rich doing it your first year. No one is putting a gun to your head and telling you to fly at Temsco. People fly here because it is a great experience and you get a chance to further your career. I have been flying here since 1991 off and on and this is still the most beautiful place I have ever flown over.

Temsco was one of the first in the industry to hire low time pilots and train them themselves so they could have good people who may not have the higher flight times but have the good attitude. The low first year pay scale reflects the investment that Temsco offers to new pilots via many, many hours of flight training in a 2 million dollar helicopter. Find another company that is willing to invest that much in training and you will find a similar first year pay scale.

Also, I would gladly show anyone our maintenance records and how we take care of our machines. A major television camera crew (blue planet guys as a major hint) was here recently and was very appreciative of our clean helicopters and excellent maintenance. They were filming humpback whales bubble net feeding just south of here. What they don't pay you they put into the helicopter and for me that is peace of mind. After leaving here pilots often comment that they wish they had Temsco's Maitenance Philosophy at their current job because they miss that peace of mind.

The first year is sort of a long job interview precluding the higher paying contract flying that may be offered to the right pilots later in their career with Temsco. Some of the pilots are just glad to get the flight time in the Astars. Remember, most have no previous turbine time but like you said, some are not willing to work for such low wages.

As far as the pay you calculated: in EMS I was making over $4,000 per flight hour because I rarely flew. I could barely pay my mortgage and was barely scraping by because I still had to pay for insurance for my family, etc.. Now in my new position at Temsco I am doing very well. I work long hours by my own choice because I care about keeping the pilots safe. My hourly rate if figured how you did for the tour pilots is actually less. Overall I am very pleased with my own salary. I have put in a few years with Temsco but they gave me the chance that other companies never did... but to each his (or her) own path...

On a lighter note, remember the joke: "How do you make a small fortune in aviation? Start out with a large one."

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TEMSCO gave me (and my dogs) my first helicopter flight ever, and then my next 50. I flew with everyone from the newest pilot with 1075hrs to Rey and Mitch and Chip and everything in between. My job (and occasionally my freedom!) was dependent on the safety calls of the pilots in the air and the weatherwatch at both ends, and over the months I saw everyone at TEMSCO demonstrate the utmost respect for people, the aircraft, and the weather. It was a clear testament to their enormous training investment into low-timers, the knowledge and skill of the guys upstairs, and instrumental in my ultimate decision to pursue flying. I train in Seattle with similar wx to Southeast and every day I'm grounded by clouds and rain I reflect on what I learned up there. My experience with TEMSCO (and that of others' I know for sure) is that although you definitely have to worry about the weather (gotta love it), you do not have to worry about airworthiness. The aircraft are impeccable.

If you include what it would cost to pay for the equivalent turbine training privately, I think you will see the $$ reflects well enough. Also, GOM is always hiring and offers the same training and a decent salary and a year-round job and steady schedule and benefits and vertical AND lateral movement. If you don't want to fly in AK, there is no reason to go up there ever, so don't stress over it. As I once advised a friend in the biz, there is more than one way to skin a cat. (ew) Just depends on what "livin' the dream" means to you personally.

As Rey said, there are many companies to work for, it's a personal choice with whom you wish to fly and why, and yes, a part of that choice may reflect your financial responsibilities. No one is judging (at least I hope not)....we are all out to do our best with what we have to work with.

Fly safe...

HG03

This is very interesting, personally I think Temsco sounds great. When I get my 1000 hours I'll be looking for a position where I can get turbine time, learn from experienced pilots, fly well maintained aircraft, fly in beautiful terrain, possibly get mountain flying time (I might want to eventually do Search and Rescue) and learn more about weather in different areas.

What I won't be expecting is fantastic pay right away. I would like the opportunity to make more as I get more experienced of course.

Rey, can you give us an idea what pilots can make there as they progress from a newbie to someone that has been there for awhile like yourself? Or if you'd prefer, feel free to PM me. Also for the tour jobs, even if you're just starting out it sounded like tips are a possibility. Am I right? If so, do those end up being pretty decent?

Also does the time up there count as mountain flying time?

Thanks,

Jeff

You may be right, Rey, but any company which has 3 accidents on one glacier in one day is going to get some scrutiny. Looking at NTSB reports shows what seems to be a rather high proportion. I don't have accurate numbers on flight hours, but the rate seems higher than most other companies, unless they're doing a LOT more flying than I think. If so, I apologize.

For pay, I don't even try to calculate my rate per hour of flight time, just time spent on duty. I get paid to be there. I didn't mean to say that Temsco has any monopoly on low pay, only that people will fly for low wages. We all suffer because of that, and probably always will.

Edited by Gomer Pylot

captkirkyota,

You are right. You won't get rich doing it your first year. No one is putting a gun to your head and telling you to fly at Temsco. People fly here because it is a great experience and you get a chance to further your career. I have been flying here since 1991 off and on and this is still the most beautiful place I have ever flown over.

Temsco was one of the first in the industry to hire low time pilots and train them themselves so they could have good people who may not have the higher flight times but have the good attitude. The low first year pay scale reflects the investment that Temsco offers to new pilots via many, many hours of flight training in a 2 million dollar helicopter. Find another company that is willing to invest that much in training and you will find a similar first year pay scale.

Also, I would gladly show anyone our maintenance records and how we take care of our machines. A major television camera crew (blue planet guys as a major hint) was here recently and was very appreciative of our clean helicopters and excellent maintenance. They were filming humpback whales bubble net feeding just south of here. What they don't pay you they put into the helicopter and for me that is peace of mind. After leaving here pilots often comment that they wish they had Temsco's Maitenance Philosophy at their current job because they miss that peace of mind.

The first year is sort of a long job interview precluding the higher paying contract flying that may be offered to the right pilots later in their career with Temsco. Some of the pilots are just glad to get the flight time in the Astars. Remember, most have no previous turbine time but like you said, some are not willing to work for such low wages.

As far as the pay you calculated: in EMS I was making over $4,000 per flight hour because I rarely flew. I could barely pay my mortgage and was barely scraping by because I still had to pay for insurance for my family, etc.. Now in my new position at Temsco I am doing very well. I work long hours by my own choice because I care about keeping the pilots safe. My hourly rate if figured how you did for the tour pilots is actually less. Overall I am very pleased with my own salary. I have put in a few years with Temsco but they gave me the chance that other companies never did... but to each his (or her) own path...

On a lighter note, remember the joke: "How do you make a small fortune in aviation? Start out with a large one."

I do not know anything about the maintenance and other things you mention, I was not impugning Temsco on any of that, nor really the pay Temsco is paying, if you can hire someone for that, well then that makes good biz sense, and since I am a capitalist , good for Temsco. I was not trying to insult or ruffle feathers either. I was just expressing my frustration, my balloon being deflated, the bummer awakening , you get the idea, for me, since I REALLY WANNA fly in Ak. But having a wife with Multiple Sclerosis, and 6 year old twin boys, I want to MOVE to Ak and be there year round, but the boat I find myself in will sink like a toolbox at $1,500 per month, so I was just exasperated at that and was bummed and just could not believe it is all. If I was 20-ish and single, I'd be on that like a duck on a Junebug.

I harbor no ill toward Temsco at all and wish them well, again I was not impugning them at all, in my mind at least, if it did not read that way, sorry 'bout that, the internet and text never can fully express accurately the emotion or mood etc etc that one can pick up in person. I am about the biggest optimist around, so when I get down it last all of 5 mins or so and then I'm like well I'll figure out someway to do this or something else will turn up. :)

Thanks for your reply and for the info you provided.

Kirk.

Edited by captkirkyota

I do not know anything about the maintenance and other things you mention, I was not impugning Temsco on any of that, nor really the pay Temsco is paying, if you can hire someone for that, well then that makes good biz sense, and since I am a capitalist , good for Temsco. I was not trying to insult or ruffle feathers either. I was just expressing my frustration, my balloon being deflated, the bummer awakening , you get the idea, for me, since I REALLY WANNA fly in Ak. But having a wife with Multiple Sclerosis, and 6 year old twin boys, I want to MOVE to Ak and be there year round, but the boat I find myself in will sink like a toolbox at $1,500 per month, so I was just exasperated at that and was bummed and just could not believe it is all. If I was 20-ish and single, I'd be on that like a duck on a Junebug.

I harbor no ill toward Temsco at all and wish them well, again I was not impugning them at all, in my mind at least, if it did not read that way, sorry 'bout that, the internet and text never can fully express accurately the emotion or mood etc etc that one can pick up in person. I am about the biggest optimist around, so when I get down it last all of 5 mins or so and then I'm like well I'll figure out someway to do this or something else will turn up. :)

Thanks for your reply and for the info you provided.

Kirk.

Kirk,

I wouldn't let it deflate your bubble, you can make a career in Alaska if you want. Remember, that Temsco job is just a short, summer, entry level, position. If you want to be in Alaska you can be there at 1000 hrs and work a first low pay summer, or you can do the gulf 14/14 or Grand Canyon, build time, make a little more money, then go to Alaska. But when you show up in Alaska with no Mountain/Alaska time, it will again probably affect your first years pay.

Marc D.

You may be right, Rey, but any company which has 3 accidents on one glacier in one day is going to get some scrutiny. Looking at NTSB reports shows what seems to be a rather high proportion. I don't have accurate numbers on flight hours, but the rate seems higher than most other companies, unless they're doing a LOT more flying than I think. If so, I apologize.

For pay, I don't even try to calculate my rate per hour of flight time, just time spent on duty. I get paid to be there. I didn't mean to say that Temsco has any monopoly on low pay, only that people will fly for low wages. We all suffer because of that, and probably always will.

The tour side flies a lot. On certain days, they actually land more times in one day then an Alaska Airlines lands all season. You are right that a company that has 3 in one day should be under some scrutiny and believe me it has. As a result we are one of the safest and most conservative helicopter tour companies in Alaska. As far as pay, some of the field pilots make $7,000 plus. The lower wages for first year pilots are reflective of the pilot's requirement to prove to the company that they are worth the higher pay. Some of the first year pilots these days leave without notice or just give up and take another higher paying job after getting the training. The work ethic and morals of some are interesting.

I was not working at Temsco during the "3 accident" 8 years ago (left in '97 and came back in'05) but something that led to the high publicity is that tour flying is high profile. As a Director of Safety I have researched a lot of accidents, incidents, and near accidents and found that we were not the only ones to have similar CFIT accidents. The major difference was we were put into the spotlight and have been dealing with the results. I can name off several companies who have had worse but to spare them the same fate I will exercise discretion. I think the old adage: "What doesn't kill you, you learn from" applies to everyone who flies. I hope we are all safer because of it and I try everyday to improve safe operations and keep anyone who flies in our helicopters safe. I routinely walk into our tour lobby and cancel an entire room full of tourists due to weather. I explain that I wouldn't put my wife and kids in the helicopter today so I won't put them in the helicopter today either. My goal is make our company the safest helicopter company in the world with the most professional pilots flying in all of our operations. We're not perfect but I'm going to sure try.

Well, enough about me... write about something more interesting :)

-Rey

I'm curious what all these pilots do when the season's over. Are there specific flying jobs in the winter that everyone goes off to?

Most of the field pilots make enough during the season to take all winter off. The first year tour pilots usually go to other tour companies/GOM or go back to their old instructing jobs so they can come back next year. Once you get on with Temsco for longer than a couple of seasons the pay is enough to work seasonally and take a vacation during the winters (We have a tour pilot who has been coming back for over 10 years and he just lives the best of both worlds.)

I used to travel to Australia/New Zealand on my time off when I was seasonal. That way I still managed a summer without working during the summer (southern hemisphere summer). I never seriously looked into working down there but that could another flying season to look at if you have the right license for Oz.

Sorry to revive, this old, dead, old thread. I was wondering how much money the average 1000 hr pilot will make signing on for his first season?

Chip here.... and, yes? Whatcha need? Ive been flying for this organization in Juneau for a decade, and fly a primarily a particular tour. (Though I do fly other charter and medivac flights.) What I do here suits my niche IDEALLY, but Im not your hungry/time searching aspiring young plit either. There are a select few of us in this industry who seek a way to continue flying because its FUN. TEMSCO is a very reputable service oriented company. Im old and am set with archaic work ethics. I guess that boils down to being called a Company Man.

Then again, maybe (like most who come here) you do need to just use this as a rung on a ladder, and need to retire your giant loans you took to learn how to fly and start a nest egg. (Im not that guy.) This IS a seasonal gig. Im completely into my six month vacations. 'Company' likes me and vice versa. We have a working relationship, and ita has been built over time.

Now then, you noticed Ive not touched on the pay thing. Well, I do have a working spouse, and between the two of us, we have all the needs we require. TEMSCO over time has come through for me with whatever Ive needed. Nuff said.

L8tr

I think it's a crock that you have to "prove" yourself a good pilot for an entire season before they

will give you anything close to a living wage. Why does anyone work there? I know...because of the

scenery and mountain experience. If you want to fly in Alaska and get turbine experience, go to

gulf and make some real money first. And hey, how about this: health insurance. You would think

working seasonally in the middle of no-where, they would have to pay pilots a premium. And Rey,

just because Temsco trains recip pilots in "2 $ million aircaft," so what? I trained in the GOM in a

L model and got paid $300 a day plus lodging.

To each their own Helonorth, for some new pilots obviously money isn't everything. Nobody is forcing anyone to work anywhere. :) Why does it make you so upset if you did what you feel to be a better deal?

I think low wages in the industry bring us all down. If the gulf stays hot, I think the pay scale may

actually change up there. It'll go from crumbs to peanuts, though. I noticed they had an ad still running in June. I say "just say no to Temsco".

Yanno, I sat here and typed and deleted and typed somemore and deleted that, etc etc etc in response to helonorth.

............................... then I finally realized what a waste of time it was. They can sure suck you in cant they. Its just amazing how discontent people are.

Its obvious in what they say.

One thing I have learned running this website is that the larger the membership the more chance there will be someone who will be negative about something you write. I remember when there were only 20 people on this forum and we all were like a small town sharing stories and laughing. Now it is bashing and name calling... Just Helicopters used to be a small group too.

I agree that the pay should be raised for first year guys. I'm hoping that will happen but I am also trying to get a pay raise for everyone regardless of time spent. Bad part is... I'm not the one who makes those decisions; I don't hold the money. If I could have unlimited money I would give everyone in the helicopter industry a 2,000% raise but I have no money because I fly and I run this website.

Again, no one is forcing you to work at your job. You choose what is right for you. I am happy with my current salary. I hope you are happy with yours. I made a choice not to take a job in the GOM. I like the flying in Alaska. It is beautiful and unique.

-Rey

To the people who work or want to work at Temsco: You seem to be taking personally what I said

about the company. I just think they should pay a competitive wage. I'm glad you like your jobs.

My percieved state of mind should be irrelevant. Can I ask what should a second season pilot expect to make and does it include any benefits? Then i'll shut my discontented mouth.

To the people who work or want to work at Temsco: You seem to be taking personally what I said

about the company. I just think they should pay a competitive wage. I'm glad you like your jobs.

My percieved state of mind should be irrelevant. Can I ask what should a second season pilot expect to make and does it include any benefits? Then i'll shut my discontented mouth.

Are you talking second season tour pilot or contract/charter? I need to look at the pay scale sheet (I'm out at a camp right now) but from my memory I think 2nd year TOUR pilots make $3,000? (second year tour pilots correct me if I'm wrong)/month + 1 month's pay for returning (paid the day they return) + 1 month's salary completion bonus + food at $15/day for the entire season. I think there is an insurance compensation too but I'm not sure. It was $330/month. I'm not positive about the salary. I think they changed it from last year.

The CONTRACT pilots vary in pay depending on experience. Here is an example of one of our contract pilots: He is making $240/day (paid even on his days off) & $50/per diem when RON (remain over night) + 1 month salary bonus + RON guarantee of 150 days (that's $50 x 150) + medical/dental insurance + 11 days paid vacation + profit sharing + helicopter privileges (he can take the helicopter fishing or whatever). This is just an example of one person and the pay varies from $220/day (180/day + $40/diem) to higher depending on pilot experience and contract (medium pilots, drill contract...)

Again, there may be errors in the above pay scales but that is what I can recall from memory. My own pay is on a different scale because I am salary.

Regarding the pay scale you wrote about before, are you 2 weeks on, 2 week off? If so are you paid for days off? I started adding your pay up at $300/day and came up with $4,200/month if it is a 2 week on/2 week off schedule. What kind of benefits do they have in the GOM? The one thing I miss from flying EMS is the week on/week off schedule. Wish we had that here.

This pay thing goes around-and-around here occasionally. I usually just bite my tongue but I’d like to make two points:

1) The average US income is between $35,000 to $45,000 (depending on the source).

2) Can you name ONE career where some sort of “apprenticeship” period (whatever you want to call it) is NOT required?

My point is the helicopter industry isn’t much different than any other industry and the pay is, at least when on a “career track”, better than “average”.

-V5

This pay thing goes around-and-around here occasionally. I usually just bite my tongue but I’d like to make two points:

1) The average US income is between $35,000 to $45,000 (depending on the source).

2) Can you name ONE career where some sort of “apprenticeship” period (whatever you want to call it) is NOT required?

My point is the helicopter industry isn’t much different than any other industry and the pay is, at least when on a “career track”, better than “average”.

-V5

Well said, V5. I was just talking to a lady friend of mine last night who was complaining about the amount of money paralegals make. It made me really appreciate the fact that I'll have a chance to be a poor CFI for a while, before moving up to the jobs that some on here are complaining about.

Are you talking second season tour pilot or contract/charter? I need to look at the pay scale sheet (I'm out at a camp right now) but from my memory I think 2nd year TOUR pilots make $3,000? (second year tour pilots correct me if I'm wrong)/month + 1 month's pay for returning (paid the day they return) + 1 month's salary completion bonus + food at $15/day for the entire season. I think there is an insurance compensation too but I'm not sure. It was $330/month. I'm not positive about the salary. I think they changed it from last year.

The CONTRACT pilots vary in pay depending on experience. Here is an example of one of our contract pilots: He is making $240/day (paid even on his days off) & $50/per diem when RON (remain over night) + 1 month salary bonus + RON guarantee of 150 days (that's $50 x 150) + medical/dental insurance + 11 days paid vacation + profit sharing + helicopter privileges (he can take the helicopter fishing or whatever). This is just an example of one person and the pay varies from $220/day (180/day + $40/diem) to higher depending on pilot experience and contract (medium pilots, drill contract...)

Again, there may be errors in the above pay scales but that is what I can recall from memory. My own pay is on a different scale because I am salary.

Regarding the pay scale you wrote about before, are you 2 weeks on, 2 week off? If so are you paid for days off? I started adding your pay up at $300/day and came up with $4,200/month if it is a 2 week on/2 week off schedule. What kind of benefits do they have in the GOM? The one thing I miss from flying EMS is the week on/week off schedule. Wish we had that here.

Rey,

They take your annual salary and divide it by 182.5(half the year). For me, it's $287 per day. So,no

you don't get paid for time off. I am, as most other pilots, working 14/14. Benefits are health, dental

6% matching 401k and vision. $40 per day off shore per diem and $10/hr monthly bonus for any

hours over 30 flown. The bonus can really add up if on a contract that flies alot. All the workover you can stand @ 1.75 times your daily rate. Also, right now, $2000 to $5000, sign- on bonus. I get a

$2000 bonus if I refer anyone who gets hired and stays (I think) 6 months. So anyone interested P.M.

me!

Rey,

They take your annual salary and divide it by 182.5(half the year). For me, it's $287 per day. So,no

you don't get paid for time off. I am, as most other pilots, working 14/14. Benefits are health, dental

6% matching 401k and vision. $40 per day off shore per diem and $10/hr monthly bonus for any

hours over 30 flown. The bonus can really add up if on a contract that flies alot. All the workover you can stand @ 1.75 times your daily rate. Also, right now, $2000 to $5000, sign- on bonus. I get a

$2000 bonus if I refer anyone who gets hired and stays (I think) 6 months. So anyone interested P.M.

me!

Hmmm, just worked out my compensation for 6 months on/6 months off...

and If I were to multiply it out to 12 months, its, well.......

Im smiling, thats all I can tell ya.

Alaska is for me. You couldnt pay me enough to live in a city, or move to the GOM, or fly single engine in the desert at night, or... or....

Me? I love the flying job I have and everything that it provides.

Rey, you and I have it made. Know it?

Hey Rey, couple questions.....well first a statement, the second year pay, nice. :)

Now,

1. What is a contract pilot, since I was an owner operator of a semi-truck hauling cars, my mindset thinks a contract pilot is one who shows up with his own chopper and contracts himself to fly for you, but since you mention he gets helo privileges, I know I am not correct, so what is a contract pilot please?

2. I REALLY REALLY want to fly Ak, but the first year pay just will completely not be possible for me, so what if a pilot came to you from a tour job or the GOM with Turbine experience, would he be hired as a first year pilot and paid on that scale, or do you consider turbine experienced pilots as a "second" year pilot as far as the scale of pay, or do you have a "1.5 year pilot" so to speak, pay-scale?

Thanks again for your time.

Kirk.

Hey Rey, couple questions.....well first a statement, the second year pay, nice. :)

Now,

1. What is a contract pilot, since I was an owner operator of a semi-truck hauling cars, my mindset thinks a contract pilot is one who shows up with his own chopper and contracts himself to fly for you, but since you mention he gets helo privileges, I know I am not correct, so what is a contract pilot please?

2. I REALLY REALLY want to fly Ak, but the first year pay just will completely not be possible for me, so what if a pilot came to you from a tour job or the GOM with Turbine experience, would he be hired as a first year pilot and paid on that scale, or do you consider turbine experienced pilots as a "second" year pilot as far as the scale of pay, or do you have a "1.5 year pilot" so to speak, pay-scale?

Thanks again for your time.

Kirk.

Kirk,

A contract pilot is a pilot who flies a contract or charter. It is just your line pilot with a different name.

I would recommend getting time or better yet, OAS carded, then apply for some of the contract positions. The pay would be better for you than if you came on as a first year tour pilot. It's not so much the turbine time that they look at but rather the experience you have (if you flew previous tours, flew fire, did sling, have medium time, can move a drill...) all of these can influence your pay for the better. The best way to get hired though is a recommendation from someone Temsco already knows. Email or PM me and I can get you more details on who to contact and what to do.

A little history: Temsco was one of the first companies to hire lower time pilots with no turbine time and transition them into turbine positions (mid to late 80's). They found that they could train piston pilots and have a good pilot they could keep on (if they had the attitude and judgment that they needed). As time has marched on and pilots have become more scare, other companies started doing the same (GOM, Grand Canyon Operators...). They found a wonderful resource in lower time pilots. Now Temsco needs to start another program that will bring in a good batch of pilots. We are working on that now.

One thing I realized is pay is not everything. I worked a job that would have paid me $94,000/year with 3 weeks on/2 weeks off. Problem was, I would have no life. This was in 1998 during my 8 year break from flying with Temsco. I have looked at higher paying jobs (over six figures) but I find as I get older that it is quality of life, how I am treated by the company I work for, and being home that gets to me more than the pay. Pay is still important (you need to pay well to pay for living expenses and have enough left over to be comfortable (I have that now)) but having a life is just as important to some pilots. If we could have a life, have good pay and benefits, and have respect from our company I think we would all be happy. Wouldn't this be great? I sure hope it will happen with all in the helicopter industry (Pilots, Mechanics, Ground Crew...)