Someone else to pay for flight school?

I'm reading that rental time is anywhere from $250-$400 an hour. At my stage in life, it takes me about 3 months to save up $250.

Is there any industry or company (besides the military) that would pay for your flight school in exchange for some years of service afterwards?

I have no interest in fixed-wing aircraft, but if doing so would open up the above possibility better, then I would do it.

And at 242 lbs, how much weight would I need to lose to not be a problem student? Years of being a computer programmer and network admin have taken their toll on my waist :)

I'm reading that rental time is anywhere from $250-$400 an hour. At my stage in life, it takes me about 3 months to save up $250.

Is there any industry or company (besides the military) that would pay for your flight school in exchange for some years of service afterwards?

I have no interest in fixed-wing aircraft, but if doing so would open up the above possibility better, then I would do it.

And at 242 lbs, how much weight would I need to lose to not be a problem student? Years of being a computer programmer and network admin have taken their toll on my waist :)

good news - bad news

You shouldn't be paying more than $250/hr for dual instruction in a piston trainer. Solo rental should be anywere from $170-$210 depending on the operator, aircraft, block-time discounts, etc.

There isn't a legitimate operation, that I know of, that will teach you or pay for your training other than the military. One lesson every three months will get you nowhere so you'll have to take out a loan which you may or may not ever be able to pay back. Most schools use the R-22 for training which has a maximum seat-weight of 240lbs. Unless your instructor is wafer-thin, you'll need to weigh considerably less than that to be within CG limits with enough fuel for a lesson. I did my PPL-H training at 215 lbs with one instructor (I'm guessing) that weighed about 200. We were probably straining the limits. My second instructor only weighed 130 lbs soaking wet so that combo was no sweat. I'm trying to get down to 185 before I go for my CPL and CFI. If you train in a Schweizer, it's not as big of an issue.

Good Luck!

1. Yes, 250 US$ is the price to pay. Nothing in life is for free and helicopter flying is expensive.

2. The problem is not being a problem student. The problem is being a heavy CFI. The more you weigh, the tougher it will be to find an employer. The more weight you have as a CFI, the less the student may weigh. At +240 lbs, the chances to team you up with a student are slim.

So yes, I guess you need to get rid of 42 lbs at least. better 62.

But there's a good side to this: you will be able to work as a dressman, and that will pay easily for flight lessons :D

But there's a good side to this: you will be able to work as a dressman, and that will pay easily for flight lessons :D

OK, I give up...what's a dressman???????

There's a girl I know who worked for one of the big oil companies for a year or so. One afternoon she got to talking to a pilot who also worked for the company and ended up getting the company to pay for her to go to school here in Florida. It is one of the very few paid rides I've heard of, but I suppose there are the companies who will do it.

Oh, she also had to sign a 5 year contract. That's the only down side.

Oh, she also had to sign a 5 year contract. That's the only down side.

That's the type of arrangement I was thinking. I'd gladly sign on a 5 year contract, because at this rate, I'll never see the inside of a helicopter on my own. I was just wondering how common such arrangements are, but it appears that they're a rarity. I was sort of hoping they were more of the norm than the exception.