...Thanks for the clarification on the IFR/CPL training though! Good to know! I still know very little about FAA standards and Parts 141 and 61. Still just trying to get my TTPPL

Ruby - does Trinidad and Tobago have regs that closely parallel (copy) FAA? Or do they have their own based on ICAO regs?

Justfly- We have our own governing body here, the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority). Our regulations are more based on ICAO standards but when I started training here it was recommended that I get the current FARAIM so we do closely follow FAA regs. Also, right now I work in telecomms installing cellular infrastructure and we need to get evaluations on tower placement and height limitations for certain areas and nearly all of the recommendations the CAA sent us, for heights, illumination and markings were both ICAO and FAA regulations.

It used to be that if a local got an FAA license they would have to do conversions to a JAA license to be able to fly commercially here and often times that meant going to England, but they've slackened up on that regulation I think because I know a girl here that has been hired with an FAA license. And, you can do the conversions here.

Well, I had my introductory flight today. It was pushed ahead a day due to thunderstorms predicted tomorrow. No complaining here. For those that wanted to know, I flew an Enstrom FX280GS. It was a real thrill and I am planning to continue. Its a pay-as-you-go type of school which sounds like a decent setup. And its close to home so that's a big plus, less than 1/2 hour away. I was very comfortable with the instructor. With the pay-as-you-go scenario I feel like I can go ahead and jump in with both feet and still be safe if I don't like it there. They even have a great simulator. I spent a little time in that and it was pretty realistic, given my extensive experience :D . So keep the info coming guys, I'm sucking it all up.

Thats awesome Brian... how was the flight itself??? Everything you expected? More than you expected? How did you find the controlls? Good luck!!!

A lot better than I expected, and I expected it to be really good. I did remember a lot of what I learned here about the controls. i.e. no death grip on the cyclic. The instructor did tell me the right side cyclic was motor controlled in some way and would begin to feel like it was fighting me a little. And the pedals will take some getting used to in a hover as they are opposite my natural tendency. The flight itself was very smooth. I expected the dips and drops I don't like with fixed wing. Meaning what I feel on a large passenger jet, I haven't been in enough small planes to know if this translates down in size or not. I don't have any fear of it as I know what it is, I just don't like it. And my next helicopter ride might be full of them. :-) But the hook was set wuth that flight, I'm signed up for another lesson next week.