WHY NO HELICOPTERS?

Hello fellow students / old salts,

I have a question regarding training exams,Why are the aircraft general/principles of flight all about fixed wing?. surely if your doing a Helicopter pilot course the material should be about helicopters and not fixed wing? this is of course in the uk i'm talking about where i'm currently training.Is it the same all over the world?

I've not long got a hold of some new computer based training discs which are fantastic..but alas only show fixed wing aircraft and there associated components.

I've asked the company that made the discs if they will do one for helicopters and the response was it is in the pipeline...time will tell i guess.

Regards all

Simon

I'd have to say it's because a.) Administrators want heli pilots to have an idea of what fixed wings are doing, even if they dont have a clue what we're doing, and b.) Administrators dont have a clue what we're doing and consider us the red-headed stepchild of the aviation community.

In general, FAA tests for rotorcraft-helicopter ratings have helicopter questions along w/ fixed wing. ASA's Prepware is a good one for FAA. Dont u JAA guys have like 14 written tests?

I'd have to say it's because a.) Administrators want heli pilots to have an idea of what fixed wings are doing, even if they dont have a clue what we're doing, and b.) Administrators dont have a clue what we're doing and consider us the red-headed stepchild of the aviation community.

In general, FAA tests for rotorcraft-helicopter ratings have helicopter questions along w/ fixed wing. ASA's Prepware is a good one for FAA. Dont u JAA guys have like 14 written tests?

I was under the Impression i had 6 written exams plus maybe an RT exam to do, I'm offshore at work at the moment so i cant remember for sure, thanks for your reply though.

I was under the Impression i had 6 written exams plus maybe an RT exam to do, I'm offshore at work at the moment so i cant remember for sure, thanks for your reply though.

ATPL Helicopter test requirements (in the UK or other JAA country):

The JAA have just started to provide the national Authorities with helicopter written exams. The UK CAA will allow helicopter pilots to either attempt the new 'helicopter specific' papers or to follow what they call an 'interim procedure' where the ground exams are the JAA fixed wing equivalents, except for two subjects, Performance and Principles of Flight. Candidates following the interim procedure for ATPL(H) do not take either the fixed wing or the helicopter Performance paper but they do take a JAA Principles of Flight (Helicopter) exam. This means candidates for the ATPL(H) sit thirteen exams rather than fourteen, and all the exams relate to fixed wing aircraft except one, P of F.

...so 13 exams for a helo ATPL under JAA

ATPL Helicopter test requirements (in the UK or other JAA country):

The JAA have just started to provide the national Authorities with helicopter written exams. The UK CAA will allow helicopter pilots to either attempt the new 'helicopter specific' papers or to follow what they call an 'interim procedure' where the ground exams are the JAA fixed wing equivalents, except for two subjects, Performance and Principles of Flight. Candidates following the interim procedure for ATPL(H) do not take either the fixed wing or the helicopter Performance paper but they do take a JAA Principles of Flight (Helicopter) exam. This means candidates for the ATPL(H) sit thirteen exams rather than fourteen, and all the exams relate to fixed wing aircraft except one, P of F.

...so 13 exams for a helo ATPL under JAA

Thanks for that pavehawk,But I'm just doing my private not air transport pilot license,so i'm positive i dont have that many exams to do.