FAA Drug Testing

I've been flying but also like to lift weight. I took some Ephedra supplements but receently stopped because I didnt like them. Can Ephedra make you fail a drug test? Is Ephedra illegal with the FAA? I looked up the FAA website but it didnt say anything about them being banned from flying. Also, how long does it take to clear your system after usage?

I've been flying but also like to lift weight. I took some Ephedra supplements but receently stopped because I didnt like them. Can Ephedra make you fail a drug test? Is Ephedra illegal with the FAA? I looked up the FAA website but it didnt say anything about them being banned from flying. Also, how long does it take to clear your system after usage?

Ephedra can cause a false positive for amphetamines, I believe, as it contains ephedrine. You should be 'clean' within four or so days at most. I don't even think the FAA does drug tests, either. Not sure if they are banned from flying, you should just use your best judgement on that one.

No idea about ephedra, but you can take a look at the Virtual Flight Surgeons site, and see what they have to say. They know what they're talking about. The only drug tests that I'm aware of are pre-employment tests done by employers, and the required random tests done now and then. You'll get some kind of test at your flight physical, but mostly the AME just tests for diabetes, not for illegal drugs. As a private pilot, you're not subject to drug tests, they're only for commercial pilots. I'm always afraid of false positives, and never, ever eat anything with poppy seeds - not muffins, not salad dressing, not anything that I know has them. They can definitely cause a positive test for opiates, and you never know when the drug testers will show up. I'm very, very conservative about ingesting things that could cause problems on a drug test, because my family depends on my income, and that income will stop immediately if a positive comes back on a drug test. But again, private pilots have little to worry about.

Ephedra causes your body to make your Ephidrine. So on a drug test you can have a too high level of Ephidrine which is not allowed. Ephedra is addictive as well. It changes your judgement and is therefore prohibited. It takes not too long to be vanish from your body, so I wouldn't worry to much, but you shouldn't take it.

As a private pilot, you're not subject to drug tests, they're only for commercial pilots.

But again, private pilots have little to worry about.

I was under the belief that Private Pilots are only subject to drug testing after an incident. ie.. accident, mishap or safety violation. I could not find anything in regards to this so it is open to interpretation.