Mazzei Programs

I was looking over the programs at mazzei flying school, they have one program which gets your all your certificates flying only on the R22. Then there is another program for about 6 thousand dollars more that gives you 20 hours in the R44, plus the ground training. Thats about 300 dollars an hour, actaully less after you average in the cost for ground training. A few questions, is that a reasonable hourly price for the R44, also, do you pilots believe the additional time in the R44 is worth the cost. Compared to the 1000 hour mark, I don't suppose 20 in an R44 is going to help landing a tour job or anything like that? Here is the link - http://www.flymfs.com/413.html Another off topic question, anyone know about the turn over rate at which mazzei hires their graduates as CFIs? Last but not least, are there any other helicopters schools near fresno that one could try to get a CFI job if not taken by mazzei (assuming I went there, just surveying everything along with other schools right now).

hi,

I think 300 dollars is a very good price for a R44. Recently I was checking out some CFI en CFII jobs and saw a few times that R44 time is a pre, but I dont know wether 20 hrs will help. Maybe you schould check the jobs at verticalreference and some other site, it might give you a good idea

Mazzei is good

Organized, standardized 141 program.

Notes about the 'Guarantee'

1. A 'training period' is a flight or a ground

2. You have the availability and brain power and an instructor with the availability to work as hard as possible to complete ratings within the 'Guarantee' Period. (Basically you need 5 flights and 1 or 2 grounds a week to stay in the guarantee - more if you have some struggles)

3. Keep track of every lost 'training period' on a calendar initialled by your instructor.

4. You're better off losing a day than changing a 'training period' from a flight to a ground if an aircraft or weather problem keeps you from flying. That lost training period day will be added to your guarantee period

If you're planning to instruct in the Robbies, then I would get the hours in the 44 to be able to instruct in it (especially if you're a light-weight pilot). This way you're not restricted to just the 22.

You said:

"Compared to the 1000 hour mark, I don't suppose 20 in an R44 is going to help landing a tour job or anything like that?"

That time is just from your training. You don't magically jump from 200 hours to 1000 hours without getting additional time in the Robbies. If you are a light-weight person, or even if you're not, more than likely you will instruct on the 44 at some point and time. (this is just my opinion anyways, I haven't gone through the process yet myself)

You also mentioned:

"Last but not least, are there any other helicopters schools near fresno that one could try to get a CFI job if not taken by mazzei (assuming I went there, just surveying everything along with other schools right now"

From all the research I've obtained... if you limit yourself to just that one area, you're hurting yourself. I'm leaving TX to go to Mazzei because I just really like them over everything else I've checked in to. Will they get me a job after graduation? Not guaranteed, but with the amount of time they've been in this business and people from all over the world that attend this school ... I'm sure I will be able to make some good contacts while I'm there.

Go into it with the idea that you WILL have to move to get your CFI job. Even if you don't move, you're at least mentally prepared for it if you have to.

Maybe some of the more experienced people on here can elaborate on this and correct what I've messed up. Again I'm not a pilot (yet), but everything I talked about is from various information that I probably got from somewhere else on this website.

Good luck with your decision making... the research portion can be quite overwhelming at times, but well worth it.

*** EDIT: I checked the program again. You get 5 hours of R44 with an instructor, 20 hours PIC/Solo, and 0.5 hours for your flight test. So you get 25.5 hours, not 20... if that makes any difference.

rm7, my girlfriend will be moving with me, and will be attending a 2 year college for nursing somewhere near me, which will be another criteria for which flight school I pick. Since this school at least say they will have you trained in less than 8 months, that leaves me another year and 4 months before my girl will be done with her schooling, and leaves me with a year and 4 months I will not be able to move. Obviously I do not want to take a year break after training, to find a CFI job so the area I pick will hopefully have a few employers of CFIs.

Drop the girl and find an other one elsewhere. Maybe if you are lucky you can work in that area but there is a big chance you wont be able to.

That sounds kind of harsh...

** edit **

Hoverflyr... will they not rent you one because of how bogged down they are with students? They say, at least I think they said this, during the training that you must be able to fly full-time in order to finish within the completion guarantee. My guess would be for them to hold up their end of the bargain, they need all their helicopters ready for when their students are ready to fly. I've heard a few stories of how quick an instructor moves from one student to the next student to keep a continuous flow going. Seems good from a student's standpoint... but I can see why you might be a little mad that you weren't able to build flight hours through them. It'd be nice if they had a spare R-22 setup just for renting purposes, but would this be cost efficient? I don't know...

Hi all, I've been looking at Mazzie to. and spoke to Jerry in Addmissions (he called me, I'm from the uk) he was honest and sincere over the phone, and the school seems to have a good rep with VR. One point that has been made about a lot of schools is the Instructors leaving. my research to date tells that instructors are not well paid. however look at it as paying your dues before entering a career job, and the benifit gained by being an instructor. the free knowledge you can get.

Hi all, One thing i forgot to mention we are all trying to make a dream come true, and although the choice of school is very important our goals are the reason we are talking to each other

I fly out of Mazzei for fixed wing. I dont seee them rent to outsiders much because the students tend to have the priority....which is how a school should be. Plus, the instructors need to work to get paid. That doesnt happen when a renter is out tooling around solo. As far as a R-22 being purchased for the sole purpose of renting.....I dont see that happening. Thats a lot of renting to make that thing pay for itself!

I fly out of Mazzei for fixed wing. I dont seee them rent to outsiders much because the students tend to have the priority....which is how a school should be. Plus, the instructors need to work to get paid. That doesnt happen when a renter is out tooling around solo. As far as a R-22 being purchased for the sole purpose of renting.....I dont see that happening. Thats a lot of renting to make that thing pay for itself!

Wow..what part of business school did I miss ? You have customers that want to rent your product, and you're in the business of renting stuff...and you don't want to have any product available to rent?

Someone gives me 60 hours a month of lease back rental fees ( at $95 an hour I might add) and I will give them as many R22's as they want.

There's no excuse to not having a ship available once you get your license...where are you supposed to go ? The flight school makes the same $ per hour on you for rental whether you are with a CFI or not. Do they not allow solo flight during training for the same reason??

signed..confused

Is that the way it is with most CFIs? I'm just getting started on my private license and the water is a little muddy between private, commercial, and the magic 1000. For people that went a route like this, how did you do it?

the school pays the instructors $12.00 per hour only when they fly, Do you think that may be a reason for leaving?