How many hours does a days training usually last. How many hours is a session of ground school?

For me I find I can usually only fly about 2 - 2.5 hours at a time before my brain just starts to turn to mush.

A good full day for me is, 2 - 2.5 hours of flying, take a break, then do 2 - 2.5 hours of ground school, take a break, then do 2 - 2.5 hours of flying.

I have done most of my ground school as home study though so I may not be a good example.

Just my opinion here....fly more often but less than 2 hrs each day. Stick to 1-1.5 hour flights and then fly twice a week minimum, depending on your schedule and timeframe. If you can fly more, great, but keep the flights shorter. Spend a lil time analyzing each flight, what you did wrong, what you will do different next time and why. Do some visualization to keep things fresh in your mind.

I dont like 2 hour flights. They burn up money quicker...I like home school ground school...spend some time at nights studying and taking the free practice tests..then use your ground school time with your instructor to review, ask questions, on those subjects your not clear on. That should only be a 1 hour classroom session or so..

Also, any student should start with a good technical helicopter flying manual so you really understand the aerodynamics of what is happening in a helo. Personal opinion I like " Principles of Helicopter Flight"..you can buy it on line for $22.00

Good luck

Goldy

Steve,

You are burning up the forums tonite! Everywhere I turn your posting, but I have to say I loved the location of the spare belt idea on the R22. Do you have an ISBN or author for the above book? Thanks, Roger

Steve,

You are burning up the forums tonite! Everywhere I turn your posting, but I have to say I loved the location of the spare belt idea on the R22. Do you have an ISBN or author for the above book? Thanks, Roger

Hey Roger ! Yeah, usually I have a post here and there....tonight I had like 4 topics I felt I had to reply on! Go over to www.mywrittenexam.com or follow this link to their site: http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/secp/103

You cant miss it !

How many hours does a days training usually last. How many hours is a session of ground school?

BTW Slick- You only have about 3 hours of fuel on board, so if you plan to fly longer than 3 hours at a stretch, you'll get real good at autorotations !

Rookie- No problem, the R22 book is a nice overview...but its not the "officiaL' POH...

Guest rookie101
I just flew 11.3 hours in four days. That was probably too much in such a short time. I found myself not flying very well by the end of day three. And by day four, I was a mess.

I would say four to five hours a week max.

Just imagine what it is like fighting a fire for 14 hrs. :blink: (not speaking from a personal account here, crashresidue posted that.)

Hey,

Just wanted to weigh in on the R22 Guide by Swan. I picked it up a couple of weeks ago and have read through about 80% of it. It is worth the money to me. It has filled in the gaps on a few things for me. I am pleased with the purchase at 14.95 + tax.

My flights tend to fall at 0.9- 1.3, depending on wind conditions.

Later

I planned to carry a full or part time job at night and train during the day. Is this doable? Right now I am working 3:30 am to usually 10-11 am depending on how much work we have. I realized that leaves quite a bit of day light. Would feasible to try to do the same wherever I move, or does this sound like I am putting to much on my plate everyday?

I planned to carry a full or part time job at night and train during the day. Is this doable? Right now I am working 3:30 am to usually 10-11 am depending on how much work we have. I realized that leaves quite a bit of day light. Would feasible to try to do the same wherever I move, or does this sound like I am putting to much on my plate everyday?

It's doable, but it'll take longer. I have a full-time job and it took me about 3 yrs to get the PPL (but also during that same time I was getting licensed in another field, as well...).

Well, I'm working nights and trying to get my private licence too. My nights are a bit different at 11-7. I have been doing my flying once a week for an hour on my days off (Thur & Fri). So it works out well for me. I have a whopping 1.6 hours in the air and a couple ground schools under my belt so far.

[quote name='klas' date='Jun 9 2006, 08:06 ' post='30448'

It's doable, but it'll take longer. I have a full-time job and it took me about 3 yrs to get the PPL (but also during that same time I was getting licensed in another field, as well...).

My Idea was a little different. You say you work 11pm-7am. That leaves you like 7am until 3 pm to fly, and 3pm-10pm to sleep, then get up to work today. So my question, is if you wanted go to the school at train 5 days a week, while also working a full time job, how many hours a day would you be at the school during that 7am-3pm bracket of time?

P.S. I hope that makes any scense. I know brushfire isn't doing his training like that, but that is the kind of scenario I would hope to have. So my question again is, how many hours a day would you spend at the flight school (not just in the air).

Hmm...I haven't tried doing that much time. But I don't see why I couldn't. I'm one of those wimps that likes to get my 8 hours or almost that of sleep. I'm pretty miserable if I don't. So I could see myself putting in 3 hours a day total, flight and ground, a few days a week. I personally need some downtime. I am loving the flying but too much of anything wears me out when I am working a full time job too. Maybe I will look into two days a week in the next few weeks.

My Idea was a little different. You say you work 11pm-7am. That leaves you like 7am until 3 pm to fly, and 3pm-10pm to sleep, then get up to work today. So my question, is if you wanted go to the school at train 5 days a week, while also working a full time job, how many hours a day would you be at the school during that 7am-3pm bracket of time?

P.S. I hope that makes any scense. I know brushfire isn't doing his training like that, but that is the kind of scenario I would hope to have. So my question again is, how many hours a day would you spend at the flight school (not just in the air).

Guys- would you learn to drive a car without learning the rules of the road??? So, spend 2-3 hours a day self study- spend a couple hours a week at the school with a CFI reviewing what you have learned, and fly as much as you can afford...which for most of us...is about an hour a week !

My point is, it costs virtually nothing to get your written exam out of the way and a 3rd class medical...so get that done first, then you can focus more of your time when you're in the air actually flying instead of trying to figure out how to enter a downwind on a 45....

Just my opinion of course, and subject to ridicule as required !

Goldy

• 3 months later...

figured I'd go ahead and resurect this old thread and try to get a feel for how long it took all of you to get your PPL. I'm in a situation where I can devote all of my time to training and don't have to worry about a job as long as I'm persuing school. Being a good student and a quick learner, how long do you folks figure it'd take to get a PPL under my belt?