R22 alternator belts again

We're getting a new belt installed on our R22 next week. We had been flying with the spare belt which went less than 50 hours before starting to spit teeth (it had been riding around in the hot engine compartment for about four years).

The question is whether there is any way to protect the new spare so that it doesn't dry out and degrade as rapidly by wrapping it in something. Or whatever else might help.

Any help will be appreciated!

We're getting a new belt installed on our R22 next week. We had been flying with the spare belt which went less than 50 hours before starting to spit teeth (it had been riding around in the hot engine compartment for about four years).

The question is whether there is any way to protect the new spare so that it doesn't dry out and degrade as rapidly by wrapping it in something. Or whatever else might help.

Any help will be appreciated!

I don't know if there is a way to protect a belt in that type of enviroment. All I could say to do is change it out every year. What we did with our fleet (ground) and farm equipment was keep spare belts tied to the fire wall then yearly put the spare into service and put the new one into the spares slot.

I don't know if there is a way to protect a belt in that type of enviroment. All I could say to do is change it out every year. What we did with our fleet (ground) and farm equipment was keep spare belts tied to the fire wall then yearly put the spare into service and put the new one into the spares slot.

Why not put it in a zip lock bag...to keep the ozone from eating the rubber, and then storing it under the passenger seat so its not exposed to all the heat ??? Wow...I think I may just go put one under the seat of the R22 I fly !

The purpose of the belt on the engine, as I understand it, is to simplify replacing a broken belt without having to take off the fan shroud, fan, and lots of other stuff $$. Unfortunately the spare does loose some of it's youthfulness riding around in that enviroment. I do not know what the RH maintainence manual says about how long to use the spare. If you chewed two belts is there trouble with the alternator?

The purpose of the belt on the engine, as I understand it, is to simplify replacing a broken belt without having to take off the fan shroud, fan, and lots of other stuff $$. Unfortunately the spare does loose some of it's youthfulness riding around in that enviroment. I do not know what the RH maintainence manual says about how long to use the spare. If you chewed two belts is there trouble with the alternator?

You are exactly right -- it's a major deal to replace a belt -- we have a Robinson trained A&P coming down tuesday to replace the belt and he says it's a day and a half job.

We're wondering also whether there's something else at play here, either in the alternator or something else. The original belt lasted about 800 hours before spitting teeth, the spare lasted less than 50 (but was probably all dried out -- the A&P who cut off the old one and put the spare on mentioned that it felt stiffer than it should have).

I heard somewhere that new Robinson belts are different than the two we've gone through on the R22, and supposedly are more durable.

You are exactly right -- it's a major deal to replace a belt -- we have a Robinson trained A&P coming down tuesday to replace the belt and he says it's a day and a half job.

We're wondering also whether there's something else at play here, either in the alternator or something else. The original belt lasted about 800 hours before spitting teeth, the spare lasted less than 50 (but was probably all dried out -- the A&P who cut off the old one and put the spare on mentioned that it felt stiffer than it should have).

I heard somewhere that new Robinson belts are different than the two we've gone through on the R22, and supposedly are more durable.

you have another issue with your alternator. more than likely, it's an alignment issue that is chewing up the belts. your mechanic needs to check the mounting bracket to the engine case for loose or broken bolts. also, the mounting holes on the braket itself may have become elongated. if the alternator pulley is not aligned with the flywheel expect the next belt to be very short lived.

Day and a half job?!?!?! Man, you're getting screwed if he's taking that long. He's pissed because he has to drive all that way I bet and he's going to CHARGE a day & half's work to cover his drive. Or he's a union guy that only works 2 hrs a "day", because......

I had that down to about 2-3 hrs tops with a helper for the fan. The hardest part is getting all the screws out of the fan shroud, but I bought a long extension with a wobble bit for my screw gun, and shaved a good 20-30 minutes off the job (lowest speed & lowest clutch setting). Besides that, there's nothing to it.......except for the loud BANG when you bust the fan loose.

Just make sure you remember to put the upper clutch shroud on BEFORE you put the fan on--because that's about a 1 hour screw-up. Been there.

Only use the belt that comes from Robinson; it's not that much more expensive. It's not like the belts on airplanes where it's just a Gates Green Stripe with the a/c manufactures p/n written on with a paint pen and a PMA stamp. If you have an accident or an anal FAA guy that spots an AutoZone brand belt on your helicopter, you're screwed!

BTW, if anyone is planning on trying TWO belts up in the engine.......don't bother. The second one won't fit up under the starter fly wheel.

Day and a half job?!?!?! Man, you're getting screwed if he's taking that long. He's pissed because he has to drive all that way I bet and he's going to CHARGE a day & half's work to cover his drive. Or he's a union guy that only works 2 hrs a "day", because......

I had that down to about 2-3 hrs tops with a helper for the fan. The hardest part is getting all the screws out of the fan shroud, but I bought a long extension with a wobble bit for my screw gun, and shaved a good 20-30 minutes off the job (lowest speed & lowest clutch setting). Besides that, there's nothing to it.......except for the loud BANG when you bust the fan loose.

Just make sure you remember to put the upper clutch shroud on BEFORE you put the fan on--because that's about a 1 hour screw-up. Been there.

Only use the belt that comes from Robinson; it's not that much more expensive. It's not like the belts on airplanes where it's just a Gates Green Stripe with the a/c manufactures p/n written on with a paint pen and a PMA stamp. If you have an accident or an anal FAA guy that spots an AutoZone brand belt on your helicopter, you're screwed!

BTW, if anyone is planning on trying TWO belts up in the engine.......don't bother. The second one won't fit up under the starter fly wheel.

Thanks. I passed your comments on to my partner who handles maintenance for the ship.