Instrument Helicopter Time

Hello All,

I would like to know how you helicopter only pilots get or log any actual instrument time?

As most, if not all instrument training helicopters are not certified for actual IFR.

Just curious, I'm one of those guys that goes both ways......ah...... fixed wing and rotor wing that is ;) .......and have learned that instrument training under the hood is fine, but much different in the real world.

Thanks

Clark

My 84 hours of actual instrument time was all logged in airplanes. I think it would be great if we could get all helicopters pilots into the clouds for their IFR training, but that isn't cost effective.

*shrug*

It is what it is...

I only have the insturement time for my fixed wing ppl, but I too noticed that actual and simulated are much different. I preferred the actual instrument training. I talked to some of my instructors and they said many flight schools including the ones some of them went to don't allow actual IFR training. They said their first experiences with actual IFR was after they had their rating.

I get actual instrument time by going out and flying, but I don't fly training models. My job requires flying AI, and we get a lot of it in the winter. Now that summer is about to arrive, we won't get much except during hurricane evacs, though. Summer weather in the GOM is mostly sunny and hot.