IFR Question

On a ELA chart why is it that on some legs of airways between two VOR's is the radial that defines the airway from one VOR not a 180 degrees out from the other VOR? Some radials are 4 or 5 degrees difference. I have my idea why but am looking for other opionions and references for the answer.

It can also be due to having the airway have a particular direction due to terrain and/or airspace considerations. Some airways have a fairly large bend at the changeover point, much more than the difference in the radials.

VOR radials are set so that they follow the magnetic direction from a VOR, but the magnetic variation can change greatly over time at some locations, so the radial may be well off the actual magnetic heading. Both these considerations can account for differences in the radials making up an airway. This also explains why the GPS course and the VOR course are often a little different - the GPS course is always up to date, but the VOR radial may be years old, and doesn't correspond to the actual magnetic course to be flown. You set your CDI to the published radial, and the display will be accurate, directing you to fly the correct magnetic course. With the GPS, you can fly the indicated course and be flying the (different) VOR radial.

"I have my idea why but am looking for other opionions and references for the answer."

I find it strange that you would be looking for opinions? And that you have your own "idea" This was one of the first things covered when I started the x-country phase of my instrument rating. Its not like its a theory.

Are you a Blackhawk Instructor Pilot?

"I have my idea why but am looking for other opionions and references for the answer."

I find it strange that you would be looking for opinions? And that you have your own "idea" This was one of the first things covered when I started the x-country phase of my instrument rating. Its not like its a theory.

Are you a Blackhawk Instructor Pilot?

Thank you for the response Flying Pig, eventhough it provided me no help what so ever. And I am glad to hear that you are such an informed pilot. You see when I posted this topic in a "Question and Answer Forum", its purpose was to A: Get a reference for what I already know which is the main idea for which you where no help. B: If not a reference than, other opinions or ideas to back what I already know. And to your enlightened question of whether I am a Blackhawk Instructor Pilot, why yes I am. I don't know what would have given that away. I am glad to answer your questions Flying Pig. And might I say I could make some deductions from you screen name but I would rather not ask. Good Day

The reason I asked about your screen name is several times they refer to what people aspire to become. Like some military sites people have "SEAL" or "RANGER" "CobraPilot"and they are 16 year old high school students. So my statement, I felt was valid. Not knowing if you were a pilot, Although slightly sarcastic...I was attempting to encourage you not to seek opinions based on something that isnt opinion based. Since you are a military trained pilot, which I am not, Im sure you have your reasons. ..Shake hands.....

The reason I asked about your screen name is several times they refer to what people aspire to become. Like some military sites people have "SEAL" or "RANGER" "CobraPilot"and they are 16 year old high school students. So my statement, I felt was valid. Not knowing if you were a pilot, Although slightly sarcastic...I was attempting to encourage you not to seek opinions based on something that isnt opinion based. Since you are a military trained pilot, which I am not, Im sure you have your reasons. ..Shake hands.....

"All reviews, messages, photos, and other articles posted on Vertical Reference Website are provided for information only: they are by definition opinions and must be treated as such and must not be relied upon for legal, business or other purposes". Flying Pig I found this for you in the Board Guidelines, I guess everything here is a opinion. I didn't ask for encouragement and again you provided me with no useful information, just assumptions.

"All reviews, messages, photos, and other articles posted on Vertical Reference Website are provided for information only: they are by definition opinions and must be treated as such and must not be relied upon for legal, business or other purposes". Flying Pig I found this for you in the Board Guidelines, I guess everything here is a opinion. I didn't ask for encouragement and again you provided me with no useful information, just assumptions.

Alright partner....your putting way to much into this.....take care.

ok da bod of ya, back off on the barley sandwiches and be civil :blink:

Guest pokey

500E ? i just noticed your rotors are turning in wrong direction ! :o

67 ? can i order a barley samich too? X-tra mayo & tomato please, and a draft bass ale :)