Timebuilding...

I'm a new CFI with about 165 hours TT. I'm going to need to get to 200 to meet SFAR73... (300 for the insurance copmpanies <_< )

What are the options out there for timebuilding? I've heard of Boatpix.com but not really sure how that works out.

What about some of the timebuilding programs in the LA area flying around with some of the news reporters? I'm aware this is turbine time but just need to get to 200 to make myself more marketable.

If some of the folks out there have experience or info on any timebuilding opportunities please.

Thanks!

Something you might want to consider... There are other training helicopters out there other than the R-22, and yes, there are flight schools that use them. You might want to seek them out, to start flying and learning.

Congratulations on passing your CFI checkride, always remember that it is now, and always will be, a license to learn.

Fly Safe...

Are you a CFII? If so, good on you - CFII at 165 hours is an achievement of note. If not, the instrument and II will be the best investment you can make. These days, beyond CFI you will have limited options without an instrument rating.

If you trained in the R22 and want to teach in the R22, you'll want to get the rest of your time in the R22. If you want to teach in something else (Schweizer, for instance), you'll want to get your time in that make/model. Jet Ranger time will be of almost no use.

Good job on the CFI - it's a tough road!

I've got a fixed wing license as well so that was how I was able to get the rating in so little time. I have an instrument airplane so that would be an add on rating as well.

I guess I will just have to suck it up and pay for the time and get my CFII in the process....

• 1 year later...
I'm a new CFI with about 165 hours TT. I'm going to need to get to 200 to meet SFAR73... (300 for the insurance copmpanies <_< )

What are the options out there for timebuilding? I've heard of Boatpix.com but not really sure how that works out.

What about some of the timebuilding programs in the LA area flying around with some of the news reporters? I'm aware this is turbine time but just need to get to 200 to make myself more marketable.

If some of the folks out there have experience or info on any timebuilding opportunities please.

Thanks!

I used to fly for Boatpix. You can go to them, but regardless of the amount of hours you buy from there, there is a distinct possibility that you will only fly a portion of the hours you pay for. You'll be in the helicopter for the amount of hours you pay for, but photo taking is their mission. If you are photographing an event and YOU are the one with the camera, then you are not at the controls. You will be able to legitimately log the hours because you are a CFI, but you may only be at the controls for 50% of the time, perhaps more or less. On the other hand I am days away from purchasing my own R22. If you want to buy time from me, you will "be the boss". Fly where and when you want. I have no mission. You are not working for me. I'm a time builder just like you. You can log all the hours, but you can be at the controls as much as you want. We have no itenerary. The helicopter will be in South Florida for the winter with me. Want to fly to Key West, The Bahamas, Bimini, or wherever, well let's go. You pay $99 an hour plus fuel. If you want to travel long distance and we stay overnight, we share a room and you cover the room. No hidden strings. Pay as you go, not up front. Call me for details. Paul 216-526-1502

I've got a fixed wing license as well so that was how I was able to get the rating in so little time. I have an instrument airplane so that would be an add on rating as well.

I guess I will just have to suck it up and pay for the time and get my CFII in the process....

You can do the training for both at the same time. You will not need a written for the Instrument, but will need to do it for the CFII. Depending on your instrument experience, this can be accomplished without too much strain. Depending in the examiner, you may be able to do both checkrides at the same time. The CFII is actually easier than the Instrument, you just have to talk a lot more.

If you meet all the requirements for instructing in the R22, except total time and RHC School, I would give some consideration to doing the training in another type helicopter. Many schools operate both Robinsons and S300, it might give you an edge in the employment market.