Medical Issues

Cyrak

Hey, guys -

I have not taken any flight training yet (mainly due to financial issues) but I plan to as soon as I can. I got my second class Medical and was just waiting to find the money, but I just received a letter from the FAA saying that they have reviewed my records, and now I have some sort of "Authorization" or something. I'm not really sure what all this means. I mentioned two issues when I had my physical, and got letters from my doctors on both of them (Crohn's and migraines), but the FAA letter only mentioned the Crohn's. I can't see why this would be an issue - I'm more concerned that they are going to send another letter later about the migraines. Can I ever know for sure that I'm cleared, and that they aren't going to tell me out of the blue (perhaps after I have spent a good deal of money) that I am ineligible? I used to get chills every time I saw a helicopter, thinking, "Someday that will be me!" but now I get this sick feeling instead, worrying about this. How big an issue are these things? Can you appeal the decision if they deny you? Will this be a shadow hanging over me my whole career (if I even have one), as far as getting hired, etc? Is there anyone else on here who has either of these conditions and passed their medical? What problems did you encounter? This is really stressing me out! Please help!

Hey, guys -

I have not taken any flight training yet (mainly due to financial issues) but I plan to as soon as I can. I got my second class Medical and was just waiting to find the money, but I just received a letter from the FAA saying that they have reviewed my records, and now I have some sort of "Authorization" or something. I'm not really sure what all this means. I mentioned two issues when I had my physical, and got letters from my doctors on both of them (Crohn's and migraines), but the FAA letter only mentioned the Crohn's. I can't see why this would be an issue - I'm more concerned that they are going to send another letter later about the migraines. Can I ever know for sure that I'm cleared, and that they aren't going to tell me out of the blue (perhaps after I have spent a good deal of money) that I am ineligible? I used to get chills every time I saw a helicopter, thinking, "Someday that will be me!" but now I get this sick feeling instead, worrying about this. How big an issue are these things? Can you appeal the decision if they deny you? Will this be a shadow hanging over me my whole career (if I even have one), as far as getting hired, etc? Is there anyone else on here who has either of these conditions and passed their medical? What problems did you encounter? This is really stressing me out! Please help!

This is not an advert - I have not used the company but I came across this organization on the web

http://www.leftseat.com/success.htm

there are probably others as well - they may be able to help.

I would be interestered to hear about anyones experiences.

I have a situatuation that also needs to be clarified - however we don't have any organization, that I know of , in Australia that does the same sort of thing.

Very best of luck

Hey, guys -

From the FAA:

http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_in...lasses/colitis/

This is a very cool website!! Thank you very much for the link! I feel much better about all of this now. I love facts over opinions, and this is very much a statement of hard facts, even if they are rather technical. I appreciate your taking the time to look this up for me - I put the entire site in my favorites for later reference.

I must say, I have been on a lot of forums for many different things, but almost without fail, everyone I have talked to in this field, both at schools and on forums, are extremely supportive, positive, and helpful, not to mention intelligent, well-spoken and knowledgable. This comes from not only my own questions, but reading through responses to other people's questions as well. I am desperately hoping that I can solve these two problems (medical and financial) so I can call myself a part of this wonderful group! Thanks to everyone for your advice!

• 2 weeks later...