Flight Helmets???

Can anyone advise me as to which flight helmet to go for?? I am confused to the differences between the different models. I would really like to keep my budget below $500....or do i need to spend more? Also the best place to buy them (mail order).

Appreciate your time and help. Peter

There is a David Clark helmet that retails for about $300. But you need a David Clark head set to go with it.

It fits all David Clark head sets except the H20 series. Its called the Series K10 Helmet.

I don't have one, so I can't comment on how go it is.

You can see it at davidclark.com

I wear an HGU-56 and love it, the ANR is a nice treat too but a bit expensive.

Try your best to find one locally if at all possible. If it needs repairs and you got it thru a mail order place like Flightsuits, you'll have to ship it back for the repairs. That can be very bad if you need the thing back asap instead of a month or two.

PS: Don't get me started on Flightsuits! <_>

I've been looking at surplus hardhats on E-bay. There's a goofy one on there that goes for $20. Most are in the range of $200-$1000. I think you'll have to get your own comms though because they have mil comms in them. Might buy myself one one day.

Later.

• 10 months later...

Hello all,

There's a lot of helmet-related threads here but i couldn't find what i was looking for so i use this old topic for my question.

Does anyone have any personal experience with helicopterhelmet.com?? They seem to sell refurbished SPH-4's with quite an attractive pricetag. Any opinions about buildquality, service etc. would be much appreciated.

If anyone uses SPH-4 that was built by them or has bought a helmet from helicopterhelmet.com, how do you compare them with a new SPH-4's from Gentex??

/FinR

Edited by FinR

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.

Anybody? I can't believe that there isn't anyone here who uses SPH-4 from Helicopterhelmet.com. So popular helmet with that kind of price, there must be someone here...

All the info, good and bad, would be much appreciated. Thanks. :)

/FinR

I used to have an SPH4B from them... Very nice work. Guy's name is Ron Abbott and he does good work.

Thanks Gunner. Sounds very positive. Looks like they have quite good collection of spareparts too.

Anyone else?

I got mine from flighthelmet.com I think I need to do a little upgrading to get rid of that resonance thing and maybe even replace the speakers with DC or sigtronics. I'm not so sure Astrocom makes a good speaker as mine crackle a little. We'll see.

I do plan on purchasing a "Hush kit" soon. Either that or stuff the cups with cotton .

I wonder if I could "Frankenstein" some electronics from a Harbor freight noise cancelling ear muffs into my helmet?

Later

• 2 months later...

I use a flight helmet everyday and wouldn't go back to a headset on a bet. For anyone getting into the business I highly recommend using one. Just talk to anyone who was wearing a helmet in a motorcycle crash and ask them what they think about helmets (it's hard to ask people who didn't wear a helmet in a crash anything because they generally just drool on themselves). If you spend any time flying over water they help keep your head above water if you have to ditch, and visors are a sight saver if a bird decides to come through the plexiglass and sit in your lap.

I have a refurbished HGU-56 with Oregon Aero's Softseals, Hushkit, and Zetaliner and it makes the helmet ALOT more comfortable (the Gentex TPL SUCKS, I got tired of the hotspots and the TPL dimples on my forehead). I also use the CEPs that make comms easier to hear without totaly getting rid of the engine and rotor noise (the first indicator that you are about to have a bad day). I have a freind that uses the Bose ANR in a R-44 and he says that he likes them but it gets rid of too much noise and he can't hear changes in the engine and rotor.

I found some data on different helmets on the Army's Aeromedical site that compared the SPH-4, 5, and the HGU-56. The SPH-5 got the lowest scores and the HGU-56 performed the best. I assume the the test was done before the MSA Gallet came out so I don't know how it compares. I've worn the SPH-4 and 5 and I like the 4 better than the 5, but wouldn't trade my HGU-56 for anything.

I have some freinds that spend alot of time with their heads stuck out of helicopter windows (both crewchiefs and pilots) who prefer the SPHs over the HGU, saying that the HGU catches too much wind. I guess helemts are a personal preference thing, find one that fits you and is comforatble and stick with it.