Taking my Instrument check next week..

You guys got any tips that arent in the book? I feel more comfortable on this one than I did my private.

For all the IIs out there I have a personal preference question.

I never got a real answer from anyone here. I can understand it because they arent my examiner but anyway...If you are vectored outbound during a VOR approach and you have a gyro flag pop into view, would it be frowned upon if you put the tail of the needle on the frontcourse to keep from having reverse sensing during the approach? Or do most examiners want you to show them you can fly with reverse sensing?

Thanks, Stu.

I never got a real answer from anyone here. I can understand it because they arent my examiner but anyway...If you are vectored outbound during a VOR approach and you have a gyro flag pop into view, would it be frowned upon if you put the tail of the needle on the frontcourse to keep from having reverse sensing during the approach? Or do most examiners want you to show them you can fly with reverse sensing?
I have no idea what an DPE's motivation might be for pulling a gyro breaker (I hope he OK'd it with the owner of the aircraft first, since it's a bit hard on the instrument, but...). However, if you have an functioning HSI, there will be no reverse indication when outbound on a VOR track, no matter which way you put the needle. If the HSI is not turning (or you have a CDI only), then by all means match the OBS to the DG/compass, just remember to twist it back at the procedure turn.

If a DPE wants to see how you handle a reverse indicating CDI, they'll have to put you on a localizer back-course, why else would anybody willingly do it when you can have a normal indication with a twist of the wrist?