Renter's Insurance

Hey all, so I decided to look into renter's insurance. I'm a student pilot with about 31 hours (and loving every minute of it!). So I called up the AOPA to find out more about it but the problem is that I'm 21 years old and their minimum age is 25. Apparently 21 year old pilots are way too wreckless to insure...

Anyway, I asked the kind lady if she knew of any other insurance companies that might help me out and she mentioned Avemco. But as far as I can tell (I just started looking at them now and will call tomorrow to confirm), they only offer insurance for fixed-wing aircraft.

So... I'm wondering if any of you know of somewhere where I can get insurance. I think of myself as a safe and responsible pilot, but I have very few hours and I feel like I should always be prepared for the worst.

fly safe,

walter

As best as I can tell, there isn't any renter's insurance to be had for helicopters, at any price...

If anyone knows of any, please let me know, as I'd be very interested...

As best as I can tell, there isn't any renter's insurance to be had for helicopters, at any price...

If anyone knows of any, please let me know, as I'd be very interested...

AOPA does issue policies for rotary. The standard form is for fixed wing, you just have to call and talk to them. When I was a student with about 50 hours or so, I think the premium was about $500 a year, that just covered the 10K deductible from my flight school. As far as I know, they still offer the policies ( apparently though only if your over 25)

$500/year premium for a max. payout of $10K? Just a guess, but I'm thinking they have a stack of those policies gathering dust in a back room somewhere.

Unless it also has a liability portion to cover property damage to others (i.e. property owned by others that the errant helicopter damages)

Anyone have a phone number to call for AOPA's insurance?

Thanks...

Anyone have a phone number to call for AOPA's insurance?

Thanks...

"Non-owned coverage is available for multi-engine and rotorwing aircraft, however, it is not available through the website. Please call the AOPA Insurance Agency for more information about these products at 1-800-622-2672."

-from the AOPA website, I think you might have to be a member but I'm not sure. but give them a call, they were very helpful when I talked to them yesterday.

also... i spent about the last hour searching the forums for topics on insurance and only found a few mentions of pathfinder insurance. I'll give them a call when I get the chance but are there any other companies that past/present student/private pilots have gotten renter's insurance from?

I just talked to them on the phone... They quote each pilot individually, based on their hours and coverage.

A ballpark I was given for a 100 hour helicopter pilot was $350/year for $250,000 liability and $500/year for $10,000 hull coverage.

Some flight schools will have a "pool" or renter's policy you can buy into for an extra $10-$20/hr or kick in a certian amount a year. They take the cash, and you [supposedly] won't be held liable for any of the deductible. Its a neat concept, but unless you REALLY trust the flight school, I wouldn't "insure" with them. Because when something gets crashed, and especially if it's your fault, they're not going to be your friend anymore and it would be better for you to have your own policy.

But, if there's a mechanical defect or other non-pilot initiated damage, you shouldn't be hit with the deductible in the first place. Even if it was your fault, as a student soloing, it would be VERY hard for them to get a judgement against you....."You were improperly trained in that maneuver, right??" says your lawyer.

I've never had renter's insurance and I don't know anyone that has. It's very expensive for the amount of coverage you get and for the amount of time you actually need it (100hrs a year?) It's not like a car when your out driving EVERY day. If you rented a TON for business and had something you really had to protect from lawyers, it might be a good thing. Either way, if you do get it, DO NOT tell the school that you have it--it will just make them more likely to sue you so they can get at that money.

I'd skip it and just be really freakn' careful.....like you already are, yes?

I can either pay $350/yr or $15/per flight hour, at this point I pay the $15 for now. Up to you, but your still liable for the $10K+ deductible, if you take their insurance. Either way, your kinda screwed. :) Yes, fly the way you were taught, and ALWAYS take safety first! There's no guarantee you'll bend a ship, but more than likely you won't.....just using the law of averages!

my .2cents

R91