Grand Canyon Tour

Two fatal crashes but how many onboard were killed? There was one crash in 03 that killed 7 people in the Grand Canyon. NTSB Identification: LAX03MA292 . Another one crashed on it's way to the canyon in 01 killing all but one on board. NTSB Identification: LAX01MA272. That makes 13 fatalities in the last 5 years.

Now statistically speaking, I have to imagine that isn't that bad. I know, any death or crash is to much but reality is that it happens. Only two crashes in the last 5 years that resulted in fatalites. How many tours are flow every year? With all the tour companies I have to imagine in the tens of thousands if not more but I don't have any factual figures for those numbers.

What I do find disturbing a little is the prior to the 01 crash you have to go back 17 years for the next fatality. What happened the last 5 years? Is it just bad luck?

The crashes were A-Stars and I head they both lost hydralics. One lost the hydralics descending in a canyon! The other was flying really low and lost the hydralics! Sucks that the A-star only has a little belt for hydralic power.

No, the NTSB reports both rule out hydraulic failure. The pilots just flew into the canyon wall in both cases. In at least one the pilot was hotdogging rather spectacularly. Perhaps in the other also, but that one wasn't completely witnessed.

Perhaps the reason for the lack of accidents in earlier years is the relative lack of helicopter tour flights back then. Helicopter touring is a fairly recent phenomenon. There have been people giving rides around the country forever, but the dedicated Grand Canyon, Hawaii, and Alaska glacier tours are of recent origin, AFAIK. No flights generally equals no accidents.

No need to apologize.

One of the crashes was attributed to jack stall in the astar...the pilot was doing stupid manuevers and got himself into it. I don't know about the other. But if tours are a new thing then why havent tour accidents gone through the roof. I still think our companies 10 years with no fatal accidents is damn good. Also our company is replacing a part 1000 hrs before its TBO because we have had early failures with it. I dont know of many other companies that would do that.