Las Vegas to Texas...

nbit

Looking for a good route to ferry a helicopter from the Las Vegas area to Texas. (i.e. - altitude restricted)

I found a couple of ways to go, but was looking for suggestions from someone that has done it before.

TIA :)

I think straight over my house with a short stop to pick me up is the best route !

You may want to post this down a couple forums...down to the "Ferry Flight Forum"...

I think straight over my house with a short stop to pick me up is the best route !

You may want to post this down a couple forums...down to the "Ferry Flight Forum"...

Yeah, I thought about putting this in the ferry forum... But, I am mining for information on a preferred route. I had the impression that the "Ferry Flight Forum" was more for those making themselves available for ferry flights, or looking to find someone to ferry an aircraft - not the case here.

Sorry, but Van Nuys, CA looks out of the way :P ...Also, you have to find your own way home, something which I have no control over, just a fact of the situation.

I'll keep the post here, or maybe a moderator can move it, if the "Ferry Flight Forum" is a better spot.

Sorry, I guess I had my map turned around, I thought Van Nuys was right along the way !!

No, I havent done the route b4, but it looks like following 93 down to the I-10 would get you to the Texas border with less than 4500 ft along the way...how altitude challenged can this aircraft be ??

BTW, If youre not already doing it, using google earth is a great tool to find shortcuts, distances and altitudes, and then confirm them on your charts.

Phoenix was supposed to be 117 today, I'm not sure my DA chart even goes that high !

Have a safe flight

Goldy

Sorry, I guess I had my map turned around, I thought Van Nuys was right along the way !!

No, I havent done the route b4, but it looks like following 93 down to the I-10 would get you to the Texas border with less than 4500 ft along the way...how altitude challenged can this aircraft be ??

BTW, If youre not already doing it, using google earth is a great tool to find shortcuts, distances and altitudes, and then confirm them on your charts.

Phoenix was supposed to be 117 today, I'm not sure my DA chart even goes that high !

Have a safe flight

Goldy

That route was one I was thinking about. I was using Google Earth with the sectional chart overlays, and also the USGS online elevation databases and maps as a resource as well (they have a utility that gives you a profile of the maximum elevations along a route of a specified width between two points)...

You hit upon my real concern with altitude/elevation... The aircraft, like most, is more challenged by density altitude than true altitude...

I'll keep your suggestion in mind HawkDriver...

Still open to more ideas...

Darn - in another forum,(or thread on this forum) someone posted an add-on for google earth which has ALL north american sectional charts and lets you select which ones to overlay google earths terrain pictures.

I don't know if I can find the post to link to it - but if you pm me here with your email I'll send you the pack.

-kali

Darn - in another forum,(or thread on this forum) someone posted an add-on for google earth which has ALL north american sectional charts and lets you select which ones to overlay google earths terrain pictures.

I don't know if I can find the post to link to it - but if you pm me here with your email I'll send you the pack.

-kali

Those Google Earth sectional overlays are what I was using... Don't need to get them. Thanks for the help though.

Guest rookie101
Looking for a good route to ferry a helicopter from the Las Vegas area to Texas. (i.e. - altitude restricted)

I found a couple of ways to go, but was looking for suggestions from someone that has done it before.

TIA :)

When is the flight, that way we can bug you about it if you foget to tell us about it :D. BTW what will you be flying?

-kali

Here is the link for that Google Earth overlay, if anyone was curious (sp?).

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/helicopterfor...hl=google+earth

When is the flight, that way we can bug you about it if you foget to tell us about it :D. BTW what will you be flying?

Here is the link for that Google Earth overlay, if anyone was curious (sp?).

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/helicopterfor...hl=google+earth

There is no scheduled date yet. It was supposed to happen originally in June. It will be either a 300C or CBi. Still working out the details...

I hope there won't be much to tell. <_< ;)