Former Vietnam/SEA/Air America pilots

The back of a Huey is dry, and sometimes relatively warm, and a good place to sleep if it's raining and the alternative is sleeping out in the rain. The floor is only acceptable if there are no seats, though, because the fuel is under the floor, and sucks the heat out of your body very quickly. I've spent a few nights in the Bell Hilton, but I don't recommend it. The Igor Hilton is a little nicer, but I don't recommend that, either.

I've been trying for days now to not ask this dumb question, Gomer Py...but alas, I must. :rolleyes: When and why did you have to sleep in the Bell Hilton? Just curious...

P.S. Wally: Quit workin' so hard! :D

I've been trying for days now to not ask this dumb question, Gomer Py...but alas, I must. :rolleyes: When and why did you have to sleep in the Bell Hilton? Just curious...

P.S. Wally: Quit workin' so hard! :D

Because he was in the Army. It's not like the Air Force, there wasn't 4 star accomodations waiting for him at every stop! :D

Lest all be confused by tqn's post, I suspect that actual Grunts would be insulted nearly as much by being lumped in with aviators as we Army Aviators are in being included with them. I always felt lucky not having to dig a hole to sleep in, except when it rained- A Slick packed full of crew is a mosquito cafeteria. I preferred snoozing in the pilot seats to the floor- it's not only cold, it's vicious, spiteful hard, seems harder than pavement. Lots of guys carried mesh hammocks.

The best helicopter sleeping I've found is the AStar. Lots of padding on the backseats and almost wide enough to stretch out in. If it's dry out, those cushions come out, easy.

Jeebers, Wally! I was being sarcastic and facetious when I used the word "grunt." I'm well aware of the long-standing rivalry between various military branches; I was bein' a bit of a smart*ss in reference to Hawkdriver's Air-Force comment. :rolleyes: As the daughter of an Army rifleman whose three brothers also served with the U.S. Army (Korea, Germany, SEA), I've the utmost respect and allegiance to anything and anyone Army, past and present, and truly hope no one was offended. ;)

Alrighty then! Mosquito cafeteria. A great phrase. I am officially stealing it! :D