Monday, July 31, 2006 - Robinson Helicopter Company

Safety Notice SN-40

Issued: Jul 2006

POSTCRASH FIRES

There have been a number of cases where helicopter or light plane occupants

have survived an accident only to be severely burned by fire following the

accident. To reduce the risk of injury in a postcrash fire, it

is strongly recommended that a fire-retardant Nomex flight suit, gloves, and

hood or helmet be worn by all occupants.

Was anything mentioned at the latest safety course about this?

Seems like a great way to cover yourself from a liability viewpoint. Now anyone that is burned in a post crash will be considered to have ignored the saefty bulletins, and therefore carry the blame squarely on their own shoulders as they have been pre-warned of an existing danger.

Robinson Helicopter Company releases Safety Notice SN-40

Monday, July 31, 2006 - Robinson Helicopter Company

Safety Notice SN-40

Issued: Jul 2006

POSTCRASH FIRES

is strongly recommended that a fire-retardant Nomex flight suit, gloves, and

hood or helmet be worn by all occupants.

Was anything mentioned at the latest safety course about this?

Seems like a great way to cover yourself from a liability viewpoint. Now anyone that is burned in a post crash will be considered to have ignored the saefty bulletins, and therefore carry the blame squarely on their own shoulders as they have been pre-warned of an existing danger.

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but there isn't enough room in the R22 for me to wear a helmet without having to keep my head tilted forward. This was even wearing a 55P helmet, which is thinner than either the SPH-4 or the SPH-5.

IMHO, this smells to me like Frank doing another CYA on the liability issue.

Doug

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but there isn't enough room in the R22 for me to wear a helmet without having to keep my head tilted forward. This was even wearing a 55P helmet, which is thinner than either the SPH-4 or the SPH-5.

Doug

Why fix a problem when you can blame pilot error instead ?

This sounds like a job for the Mythbusters!

Doug

Hi Dough.

Could you tell me please how tall are you. As student pilot, i'm considering to buy helmet. With my military background i'm big believer in such a stuff like helmets, gloves etc. But since i'm 186cm and flying R22, i cant imagine whether i would fit into the cockpit with helmet. Also i have no opportunity to try it before buy. Thanks for your answer and also any input or advice from other pilots woud be greatly appreciated.

Masak

Hi Dough.

Could you tell me please how tall are you. As student pilot, i'm considering to buy helmet. With my military background i'm big believer in such a stuff like helmets, gloves etc. But since i'm 186cm and flying R22, i cant imagine whether i would fit into the cockpit with helmet. Also i have no opportunity to try it before buy. Thanks for your answer and also any input or advice from other pilots woud be greatly appreciated.

Masak

I am 5'10" and wear a Gentex HGU-84 helmet w/ dual visors. I do hit my head but I'm right at the line. I don't think anyone any taller than I could wear a helmet comfortably. I also don't sit extremely upright. Sure if I were to sit perfectly straight up I have to tilt my head a tad to the left, but I am comfortable with it on.

I wanna flight suit I wanna flight suit.

I can just see it now. You're going on a heli-tour in an R-44. Your pilot looks professional in his kahki nomex flight suit and dual-visor U.S. Coast Guard approved flight helmet.

Then you get the news; you have to don a surplus NASA orange nomex flight suit, gloves, and NASCAR fireproof racing hood and shoes.

Are we flying a nice tour to see the Appalacians, or flying into a tanker fire with a 15 gallon bambi bucket?

Then you wake up and bake some chocolate chip cookies.

I'm just wondering if the FAA gearheads will, at some point, mandate nomex flight suits for all general aviation pilots and passengers. Can you imagine this in commercial aviation?

Hey, stupid idea time. Next time I fly commercial, I'll wear a flight suit and helmet. Hah TSA. Take that.

Later.

Umm, I wonder what personal protective gear Robinson might suggest to prevent internal organ burns (upper and lower respiratory tracts and associated organs such as the LUNGS) as well as smoke and noxious fume inhalation.

Last time I checked, many crash victims - who survived an initial impact/series of impacts and experienced moderate to extreme exposure to the effects of a post crash fire - succombed to complications from respiratory failure or have a really fuct up time breathing for the remainder of their life.

Yeah, nothing like hitting the ground, momentarily getting trapped in the wreckage while trying to gather thy wits scattered about, having an avgas/jet-a fire light off and then taking in a fresh breath of 1200 degree emissions while trying to get out of the rapidly expanding burning fuel pool. Oh yeah, I better make sure my passengers get out before me.

This might be the time I would take issue with my affection for the smell of consumed jet fuel in the morning.

A little over the top, but considering the point of origin, a worthwhile consideration.

-WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

Umm, I wonder what personal protective gear Robinson might suggest to prevent internal organ burns (upper and lower respiratory tracts and associated organs such as the LUNGS) as well as smoke and noxious fume inhalation.

Last time I checked, many crash victims - who survived an initial impact/series of impacts and experienced moderate to extreme exposure to the effects of a post crash fire - succombed to complications from respiratory failure or have a really fuct up time breathing for the remainder of their life.

Yeah, nothing like hitting the ground, momentarily getting trapped in the wreckage while trying to gather thy wits scattered about, having an avgas/jet-a fire light off and then taking in a fresh breath of 1200 degree emissions while trying to get out of the rapidly expanding burning fuel pool. Oh yeah, I better make sure my passengers get out before me.

The solution is simple:

Robinson Helicopter Company releases Safety Notice SN-40a

Monday, August 1, 2006 - Robinson Helicopter Company

Safety Notice SN-40a

Issued: Aug 2006

POSTCRASH FIRES addendum

is strongly recommended that all occupants not breathe.

The solution is simple:

Robinson Helicopter Company releases Safety Notice SN-40a

Monday, August 1, 2006 - Robinson Helicopter Company

Safety Notice SN-40a

Issued: Aug 2006

POSTCRASH FIRES addendum

is strongly recommended that all occupants not breathe.

Damn Duke- Thats funny !

• 3 weeks later...

The flight school I work for has recently provided flight suits to all CFI's. I like them, aside from the heat and smelling ripe after a few hours, the added safety is worth the cost in my opinion (about $200 for a new suit). At my location we had a Schweitzer crash and burn. The student was severely burned and the CFI was pretty cooked as well. If they had been wearing Nomex, it might have saved them alot of pain and suffering. I would like to get my hands on a nice helmet, since most deaths in crashed are a result of head trauma. I may look retarded, but I intend to retire from this profession.

This is definitely cya after erocopter was ordered to pay millions to a woman who was severely (with a capital S) burned in a postcrash fire of an a-star on a grand canyon tour. It was a jury that awarded the money, even though the investigation determined pilot error was the cause, so I doubt this will have any real consequence in any future legal action. When you lose both legs and an arm your lawyers are going to go after the one with the money, and the poor pilot that was killed in the crash didnt have any. I've heard that manufacturer liability costs in a new ship can be as much as 20% of the total price.

Heres the associated info on this accident.

News story

FAA Accident Investigation Results

Hi Dough.

Masak

Greetings,

I'm 5'11" tall and as I stated, I cannot wear a helmet in the R22 as it does not allow me to sit straight up with my head held upright. I hit the bulkhead behind my head and have problems with the rotorbrake getting in the way as well. The helmet that I tried is a 55P, which is thinner than either the SPH-4, SHP-5, or the 26P. I do know some that can wear a helmet in the R22, but they either do not sit straight up or are shorter in height.

Doug

Guest 13snoopy
I wanna flight suit I wanna flight suit.

I can just see it now. You're going on a heli-tour in an R-44. Your pilot looks professional in his kahki nomex flight suit and dual-visor U.S. Coast Guard approved flight helmet.

Then you get the news; you have to don a surplus NASA orange nomex flight suit, gloves, and NASCAR fireproof racing hood and shoes.

Are we flying a nice tour to see the Appalacians, or flying into a tanker fire with a 15 gallon bambi bucket?

Then you wake up and bake some chocolate chip cookies.

I'm just wondering if the FAA gearheads will, at some point, mandate nomex flight suits for all general aviation pilots and passengers. Can you imagine this in commercial aviation?

Hey, stupid idea time. Next time I fly commercial, I'll wear a flight suit and helmet. Hah TSA. Take that.

Later.

This wasn't any sort of FAA mandate. It came from Robinson.