Bali Hai in Trouble with FAA

Whirlwind

I was shocked to read that Bali Hai helicopter tours in Hawaii is in trouble with the FAA for not keeping accurate logs of the flight time on their helicopters. Due to their failure to adhere to required timekeeping practices, there is no way to tell how much time has elapsed between inspections of the airframe or engines. They even had a fatal wreck due to lack of proper maintenance. See the notice at this link:

http://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/events/2006...ours,_Inc.).pdf

What an incredible breach of the public's trust. I'm also shocked and dismayed that the pilot's would be a part of this since their lives are at stake as well. They had to know that what they were doing (or not doing) was illegal.

Please tell me that this is not a widespread problem within the industry.

I can tell you that the three operators I am/have been involved with keep meticulous records of flight time and maintenance. I personally know of one (other) operator who is widely reputed to play fast & loose with such things.

It's much more common than it should be. I know of at least one offshore operator which has had this type of operation bite them. What I don't understand is that the FAA revoked the 135 certificate, only to give it back within 6 months. Company policy was that all flight time not chargeable to a customer simply wasn't logged, and the pilots went along with this until one was hired from a company that had good maintenance practices, and called the FAA to report the shady maintenance and operations. They got caught red-handed during the subsequent FAA inspection, which should have been done regularly anyway. We all concluded that the owner had been paying off his POI, who retired immediately after the investigation.

• 7 months later...