AG Ops R22

The Actuator

Hi All,

My first post.

I'm trying to glean some info on using the R22 for Aerial Spraying. I'm in the process of setting up a business which will include either leasing or buying a 22 and I was wondering if there are any operators here who would be willing to answer a few questions?

I know I have seen a spay system for sale in Trade a Plane for an R-22 and R-44... I beleive it is called Apollo Spray Systems. I would be interested in hearing about any experiences with this system as well.

The R22 is going to be able to carry very little spray - even the Schweizer 300C with almost double the useful load is hard-pressed to cover much acreage. So while it is cheap to fly, the R22 will still have a hard time turning a profit as an ag ship. Where the little ships do best is in frost prevention and corn pollenization.

The R44 will do the work (and is seeing use in the ag field), and of course there's the Hiller 12E and Bell 47 - the legends of the industry and still going strong.

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at the 22 for starters obviously for cost. I think I have a gap in the market for a bunch of fields that need to be sprayed but are just too small to be economically viable for a fixed wing or inaccessible. In order to turn the profit one has to up the price I would think - as long as the customer is prepared to pay the profit side of things should take care of itself.

I had a look at the Appollo System, seems to work - I could think of improvements though.

I was more interested in what sort of hourly coverage people get, safety aspects, benefits of a helo doing the work, efficacy of the spray applicability of ULV etc etc.

Please keep the comments comming.

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at the 22 for starters obviously for cost. I think I have a gap in the market for a bunch of fields that need to be sprayed but are just too small to be economically viable for a fixed wing or inaccessible. In order to turn the profit one has to up the price I would think - as long as the customer is prepared to pay the profit side of things should take care of itself.

I had a look at the Appollo System, seems to work - I could think of improvements though.

I was more interested in what sort of hourly coverage people get, safety aspects, benefits of a helo doing the work, efficacy of the spray applicability of ULV etc etc.

Please keep the comments comming.

Regardless of how many times I slam the R22, that is what I fly most of the time. Do yourself a favor, and dont try and use it for ag.....just not enough power or load capacity to make it worth while. The Bell 47 also comes modified for ag use thru the "Wasp" conversion. I dont do any ag work at all, I just know the W&B of the R22. Do a quick weight and balance adding in the gear and the amount of liquid you can dispense in an hour of flying. I think you will find you cant take off unless your doing AG work at the beach !!

There is a reason so many turn to the B 47, its a great bird, easy to fly with a lot of power. Yes it costs more per hour to run, but i bet in the long run its cheaper...more time spent dispensing and less time refueling ! ( you wont be able to take on much fuel in the R22 unless you hire pilots that weigh in at 125 pounds or so)

Just my R22, 2cents..

Goldy

Hey guys heaps of them used for Ag here in NZ they seem to hold up pretty well most seem to us helipod gear(www.helipod.co.nz) but as time goes by I must admit most guys are switching to the 44 for the increased payload would personally go for a beta 2 if had the option.

Most guys are starting to cart their 22's on trailers between jobs to save a bit more.

Hope your venture works out

PS do you guys have many requirements to do ag ie an ag rating or can you just go for gold as it were

Dan

Thanks Dan,

In SA you have to have a pest control operator's cert. and then you get an AG rating after working for an operator for a period of time. Not exactly sure how long or the exact reqs as I did mine earl 90's. I haven't been spraying for a long time but I want to get back in and as I said I reckon I can make it work in a 22 initially.

You wouldn't happen to be able to put me in touch with one of the operators down there would you? I heard that if you put a 22 on a trailor it halves the time on the blades is that true?

I haven't seen a picture yet with one fitted with micron aires (ULV) is that feasible or no?