Gold Coast, Guidance, Quantum, Universal pros cons location etc??

Well I cannot speak for the others but as the owner of Gold Coast helicopters I will be glad to discuss it or my Chief Flight Inst -Thom . We are located at the Glendale Airport, and operate 2 R22s, 1 B206B, & 1 C172

Hourly rate is 190/hr for R22 + 35/hr for instruction. We use the pay as you go plan but financing will be available around Sept. Our website is www.goldcoasthelicopters.com.

I can be reached at 623 935 3388 or cel 623 640 6673.

Good Luck in choosing the flgiht training program that is right for you.

Bill Tresky

B206- How about the weather? I lived in that area (Phoenix metro) for 8 years - before I got into aviation. I know that October thru April is probably great for flying, but I don't know about the summer months. When it's super hot every single day in June, July, and August (like 105-110 for daily high temps), what do you do? Can you still fly? Is it safe? And if so, is it torture?(!) By the way, I understand that most ares of the country will have their bad season(s) so I'm not trying to put AZ down. Excluding summer, it's pretty awesome, and I will probably move back there at some point.

housing

housing is availalbe - apartment (long term and short term) beware that Glendale has new stadium and arena about 2 miles from the airpport so as more people move in to work the events and surrounding businesses prices are going up. I saw a one bedroom unfurnsihed or approx 500.00

again give me a call for specifics

The weather: normal from Oct to March. Temp rise into the 100s Apr- Sep. Contrary to popular belief we still fly - normally in the AM and late PM for the comfort of the student. Yes it is safe! Only torture is bad day learning. We usually start flying around 530 am and quit around 10 Am and start up again 5pm +. Just depnds. Not every day is over 104 - rightnow the high will be 98.

Good luck

Bill

i am not sure if you have made your decision yet, but i am going to guidance, hopefully starting in september. I am going on my intro flight today! but they have been very helpful and definitely have gone above and beyond to help me with everything that i need. i have met the flight instructors and they are very honest. I was considering going to silver state in mesa and opted for guidance because of the way they treated me. Prescott isnt as hot as phoenix and they have more days of flyable weather. Good luck with your decision!

I trained at Universal. I feel that I could not have gotten better training anywhere on the planet. I am a CFII and have worked for two other schools and neither on is as good as Universal but the second one is getting better quickly. Just dont go to THE BIG ONE. Iworked there also and man did they stink.

Fly safe, God speed

When did you train at universal? I trained there a couple years ago when they were taking alot of money from students. I still have yet to get my money back.

I trained at Universal. I feel that I could not have gotten better training anywhere on the planet. I am a CFII and have worked for two other schools and neither on is as good as Universal but the second one is getting better quickly. Just dont go to THE BIG ONE. Iworked there also and man did they stink.

Fly safe, God speed

I'm currently going to Quantum (just got my PPL and working on Instrument) and have no complaints. There are plenty of birds available and the instructors are top notch. I did my fixed wing training out at Glendale almost 10 years ago with a school called Action Aviation and it was more of a small shop atmosphere where you felt like it was you and your instructor going out to fly around. Quantum has more of a school atmosphere for sure, but the instructors are all very personable and interested in your progress. Generally speaking you are assigned a different instructor for each "step" of your training (PPL, Instrument, Com etc). This hasn't been an issue for me as they are all a great team.

When I went looking for a school I looked for, in order, 1) good atmosphere, 2) location (i need close to home) 3) Support after I'm done training. I'm lucky to have many great schools close to home, so that was easy. The "big company" down the way had the wrong atmosphere. And Quantum had plenty of birds with lots of flight hours which equates to more hours available when I'm CFI. Those were my driving factors, yours may vary.

As far as Gold Cost over at Glendale, I'm sorry Bell206, but I didn't even know you were out there when I was looking around, so I can't comment good bad or otherwise. ;) Glendale is a great airport though.

As far as the weather, in the 200+ flight hours I've had (all in AZ), I think i've only ever missed one or two flights to weather. It's true that in the summer you're going to sweat your (insert applicable parts) off. Generally speaking you try to schedule far enough ahead so that you can fly in the morning or late afternoon. I did a stage check at 3pm this summer and the OAT gauge on the Robbie was at 53C over the taxiway, UGH! The plus side here is that preflights in the winter are easy. ;)

Anyway, hope this isn't too long for a first post, thanks for providing a great forum!

Viper killer I went to Quantum Helicopters and also taught there. It is a nice school with well maintained helicopters and some of the instructor there are men I taught how to fly so I can recommend going there. You'll have no problem getting a bird if you think ahead and schedule your flights in advance. The school is moving into a new facility soon which is very nice. Like any other school it's not perfect. The training is good but it will cost you. There some individuals who are hard to work with but they will never ask you to do anything unsafe and illegal which as I fly with other companies is not the case. The majority of people who trained there are happy with the training they received but that's not the case with everyone I know. So of course in the end its up to your personal decision. Go with your gut. P.S. Love that name! ViperKiller!

Never lose your Rotor RPM

The school is moving into a new facility soon which is very nice.

Indeed, today was the first day in the new building, it's very nice, much better than the ol' doublewide on the "wrong" side of the airport. ;) The new building is very spacious and each instructor has their own office, it's the nicest flight school facility that I've personally seen.

VK-

I encourage you to make a visit all of the schools you are interested in.

Guidance Helicopters falls under my watch so I'm a bit biased.

The things you need to concern yourself with are; reputation, policies (especially refund policies), equipment, Financial aid (lenders), Insurance (Indemnity vs U.S. companies), location (location, location!), weather (temps can be miserable in parts of the southwest in the summer), availability of aircraft and most important; how does the place feel to you. Are you comfortable with the culture there?

In Airizona other than Guidance. I'd look at Quantum. Neil (the President) is honest and the school puts out a good pilot. Feel free to call me if I can be of help to you and good luck in your future. (877) 235-9444

Guido

VK-

I encourage you to make a visit all of the schools you are interested in.

Guidance Helicopters falls under my watch so I'm a bit biased.

Guido

Excellent advice for sure.

Guido, Guidance is up in Prescott correct? I was thinking about going up there to do a mountain course to build some time between comm and CFI. Is that available and would I be able to do it in an R44 to get a few hours in? Of course if you train at Guidance you'd have all the high alt exp you need.