CH-64 LTE Video

rotor91

Anyone have the link of the CH-64 loosing tail rotor authority during a fire drop? Pretty impressive!

Here ya go - http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/helicopterfor...?showtopic=2205

...but be aware that some, including Nick Lappos (Sikorsky test pilot), have opined that it is not LTE which caused the uncommanded yaw, but rather "is actually "over pitching" and not LTE". And further, "That video is a fine illustration of what happens when you pull too much torque, reduce your rotor rpm and then lose yaw control. It is not LTE in any strict sense."

Further down (Post #4) in the above thread is a link to a video of a more classic LTE event (experienced by the camera platform ship, not the subject aircraft)

edit: oops, I see you already found it while I was posting

Guest rookie101

Your post had me confused. The military calls the skycrane CH-54 Tarhe. In the civilian world the crane is the S-64, unless there are people who call it the CH-64, but I've never heard it called that. What can I say, OCD. :rolleyes: ;)

Your post had me confused. The military calls the skycrane CH-54 Tarhe. In the civilian world the crane is the S-64, unless there are people who call it the CH-64, but I've never heard it be called that. What can I say, OCD. :rolleyes: ;)

Justfly,

Ya, I did find it! Interesting, thought it was LTE. BUT, if you really listen, you really hear the pitch in the blades, almost sounded like the TR, not MR. Ahhh, then again, what do I know? :)

I saw the other video of the camera ship, MAN it can happen in a heartbeat. My buddy got it in a 206, he thought he was going to have it put it down, but he continued to fly out of it and got it back. He did something like 3 revs before he came out of it!! Definately a PUCKER FACTOR, AY!

The one that just went down, the FAA called it a 54. Not sure when they changed it over to the 64 though. CH or S, still get's your point across.....or just SKYCRANE! :)

Cheers-

R91