Robbie drivers only

Witch

I've noticed that those who fly "Die Schweitzer" like to call the other pilots "Robbie Rangers". I got to thinking, and drew up a design for a patch for us R-22 pilots. Here's where I have a problem.

To make a patch, the companies want a minimum order of 50 patches. Ok, so I want maybe 5 for me and my brother-he fix wing-and a couple of others. So, what to do with the other 45?

This is what I'm wondering. Would any of you guys be interested? I figure the cost would be between $4-$5 , plus shipping, about $.60. I want to break even at least.

The patch is of an R-22, but it has a shark mouth, like on a P-40, and flames coming from the engine. It's a 4"X6" oval that says in black letters "Robbie Ranger" I was thinking of using a tan background for those who wear tan flightsuits.

I went to the SSH website and in the intro page for the flight acadamy, there're a couple of pictures of a flight instructor in a tan flightsuit. Might he like a patch?

Anyway, might you guys be interested? I'd like to get an idea if can get rid of the others, otherwise it'll be too expensive for me to pursue and I'll have to abandon the idea for a bit.

Let me know.

Later.

Oh yeah. I figure if this goes through, I can have the patch ready for shipment in a couple of months.

You might try Cafe Press:

http://www.cafepress.com/

I don't know about a patch, but I could maybe go for either a decal for the back window of my truck (right next to the "Danger -- beware of helicopter pilot" decal, or maybe a baseball cap.

I'd actually rather have R44 instead of R22, though...

I've noticed that those who fly "Die Schweitzer" like to call the other pilots "Robbie Rangers". I got to thinking, and drew up a design for a patch for us R-22 pilots. Here's where I have a problem.

To make a patch, the companies want a minimum order of 50 patches. Ok, so I want maybe 5 for me and my brother-he fix wing-and a couple of others. So, what to do with the other 45?

This is what I'm wondering. Would any of you guys be interested? I figure the cost would be between $4-$5 , plus shipping, about $.60. I want to break even at least.

The patch is of an R-22, but it has a shark mouth, like on a P-40, and flames coming from the engine. It's a 4"X6" oval that says in black letters "Robbie Ranger" I was thinking of using a tan background for those who wear tan flightsuits.

I went to the SSH website and in the intro page for the flight acadamy, there're a couple of pictures of a flight instructor in a tan flightsuit. Might he like a patch?

Anyway, might you guys be interested? I'd like to get an idea if can get rid of the others, otherwise it'll be too expensive for me to pursue and I'll have to abandon the idea for a bit.

Let me know.

Later.

Oh yeah. I figure if this goes through, I can have the patch ready for shipment in a couple of months.

Can you post a picture of what you have created? Perhaps a decal makes more sense, as Bob suggested...

I'd post a picture if I could figure out how to do that. That and figuring out how to convert formats. I did part of it in JPEG, and the other in WPG. My mistake?

Hey, this Cafe Press looks like an option. I didn't see anything in the patch department though. The stickers are only 3X5. I was hoping they might have something bigger. Oh well.

As for an R-44, I think I can come up with a similar design. I just need to have time to do it. The patch took me about 8 hours to work it to my satisfaction.

I still think a patch would be a good idea. After all, with SN40, everyone will be wearing a flight suit.:) Maybe the sticker for the helmet?

Later.

SN40 is just an example of Frank covering his back end...

It is absurd to think of a family going out for a fun Saturday afternoon flight in the R-44, only to have everyone including the kids in the backseat in nomex flightsuits, gloves, helmets, boots, etc.

Umm, not going to happen. :)

But Frank can dream, right?!? :)

Witch- maybe you can talk to Frank to see if he would sell them for you here:

http://www.robinsonheli.com/productsapparel.htm

Of course, there are always the licensing issues !

BTW- how's that hovering coming along ?

After the autos, my hovering sucked. I also did sideways, hover autos-I like those, and tried to spear another cone, no luck. Nick went showing off and put a cone on top of a Bucks. It fell off though. He likes getting a little time in-it brightens his day.

Patterns are better as my approaches are a bit more shallower than before. I did come in too hot and high, but was able to make it happen.

We also did running takeoffs and landings. Did three of those and left skid marks in the runway. Have you smelled your shoes burning up? Upon landing the first time, I forgot to put the collective down. We went a long way that time. Also hit the rear of the skids first. YEE HAW !!!!!

Anyhow, I should solo in a few more hours.

But to un-hijack this thread, Might you be interested in a Robbie Ranger patch?

Later.

What? Me or the patch?

Hmmm, barrel roll. I think I can come up with something, but like I said, these companies want a 50 patch minimum order at about $200. Whatcha gonna do with the other 49?

Later.

OK, I'll get an order in soon.

I need to convert the format before sending in the graphic, so that'll be a chore.

I'll see if I can post a picture also.

Later.

Oh, howabout that? It actually worked this time.

Anyway, it'll have a white background and also black edging.

post-2940-1156578886_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm asking for a quote now, so in a few weeks we should have some patches.

I got to wondering, what would the Robinson people think if people were wearing these patches to their safety course?

Later.

Guest rookie101

Why ranger? Why not driver? I think it would make more sense. Ya sure ranger sounds cool and all, but when i associate the word 'ranger' with helicopters I instantly think Bell not Robinson. Just food for thought.

Well because that's what I heard, "Robbie Ranger".

"Ranger" is kinda like a comedic derogatory, like banter. I've had it with "AGE Ranger, GLCM Ranger", that kind if thing. "Robbie Driver" would be less funny and more like an ego boost for the person. Like F-15 pilots calling themselves "Eagle Drivers". Well, where's the fun in that? Others call them "Rodan". That's supposed to be banter.

I guess this is a way to poke fun at ourselves. I bet Schweitzers don't call themselves "Rangers". "Schweitzer Ranger"? So un-funny.

I can't really explain it. Someone help me out here. I have a few patches that might give you an idea of what I mean. It's just supposed to be fun.

Besides, have you seen the graphic? When's the last time you saw an R-22 with shark teeth? The flames were an afterthought representing speed. This bird is a fast, mean machine. Funny?

I hope so.

If you don't get it...

Later.

Witch- I get it..how bout embroider the design on a hat instead of a patch??? Probably run $10 a hat....I would get one !

Goldy

Later.

I might be able to do that. What color hat, what size, with or without ponytail/mullet feature? Also, the kind with the form in front or the cap kind? I might be able to pull that one off more easily. Let me know what you'ld like.

I haven't heard back from the patch people yet.

Later.

I might be able to do that. What color hat, what size, with or without ponytail/mullet feature? Also, the kind with the form in front or the cap kind? I might be able to pull that one off more easily. Let me know what you'ld like.

I haven't heard back from the patch people yet.

Later.

try the flexfits

Just to let some know, I'm in contact with the patch manufacturer and should have them within a month. Final size should be 4.5 inches wide by 2.5 inches high.

Still need to approve the whole shebang, and it looks like about $4.00 a patch.

Updates as they come.

Later.

Oh yeah, looking into hats too.

Put me down for 2 patches...... This isn't one of those get rich quick schemes?? , I think SSH already cornered the market :D J/K

As if. I learned my lesson after that "Live Sea Monkey" debaucle.

Really, I wanted a patch to put on my jacket but the minimum quantity is 50. What am I going to do with the other 48 patches? I figured that some of these guys might like one, and if I break even I'll be happy.

Think of it as a one time service. And who knows, they might become collectors items. I wish I still had my "Thud" patch. That's worth a few bucks these days.

Later.

Ok sport fans, here is a picture of the almost final design. One more revision to go I hope. The fuselage will be a darker blue, and the flames will be red.

I hope this picture posts.

Later

Excellent, it worked!

post-2940-1157780023_thumb.jpg

Yes, stickers are an option I'll be working on soon, as well as hats.

I'm about to send the order off in I can get my E-mail working again.

Later