Career as a pilot

XvX

Hello, everyone. I am new to this forum, and this site in general. This is the only Helo-based site that I could find a message board. I am considering becoming a pilot. I have always loved helicopters, and flown on several. (both R44's) Before I get any more serious, I had a few questions that are unanswered, and I would appreciate it if some of these could get answered. Thanks in advance! :lol:

How much does the average pilot make?:

How hard is it to find a job as a pilot?:

Can I get a private license in under a year?:

What type of fuel do most helo's take?:

Thanks again! (:

Guest rookie101

The only helicopter message board you could find eh? Well, there are six that I know of (including this one)

verticalmag.com- more of a Canadian crowd but still very helpful

justhelicopters.com

helitorque.com- more of a European crowd. Again, still helpful

verticalreference.com

PPRUNE.com

autorotion.com

As for your first question, it depends. If you check the FAQ-Career section you can find a few examples and you can also check the specific forums to find several examples as well. A PPL in under a year? That all depends on you, but all the students I have spoken to in here have gotten there's in under a year and the type of fuel helo's use, I think that would be Jet A, but that is only what I've read so don't quote me on it.

Average salary for a pilot varies a lot... try using the search feature to look at all the different articles on it.

If you are willing to travel a lot, then my impression is that you can find a job without too much trouble, provided you have the appropriate number of hours for the job you are trying to get.

If you are flying at least once a week, which I as a student highly recommend, then you should be able to get your license in well under a year. Any flight school telling you otherwise would be suspect in my opinion. In fact, if you can manage it, I highly recommend flying almost every day for a week or two at the very beginning.

That's what I did and it has been invaluable. I just recently went flying after a month of the helo being grounded and I still retained all of my flying skills and I only have 35 hours. I was also able to learn things much faster because I flew so often at the beginning. Just my two cents on that note.

As for the type of fuel for most helo's... well one big consideration is whether it is a piston or turbine engine. I have only flown the R22 which is piston and it takes 100LL. But turbines are entirely different.

oh, and watch for wires...

Most helicopters use JetA, or kerosene. Those with piston engines use avgas.

The average starting salary, after you manage to get 1000 hours flight time, is about US$30,000. That will go up as inflation kicks in, but there appears to be a move toward hiring pilots with much less time, but at greatly reduced salary. I've seen ads for pilots with the minimum required by FAR135, with an offered salary of about $20,000. I make just over $70,000, as a topped out IFR PIC with over 25 years seniority. I make more, with lots of overtime, but that's the base pay. That, too, will go up some, but I'll never get rich unless I can get the right 6 numbers on that slip of paper from the Stop 'N Go.