Question about integrity

I moved this from the VIP Forum to here, for a better range of opinion.

Hey Guys,

I know it has been a loooong time since I have posted. We haven't much time with the business and the flightschool. I wanted to run a very real situation by the forum. I value the imput and will think that I will get honest answers from you guys.

I recently hired a former military pilot just turned Robbie CFI. This pilot needed 20 more hours in the 22 to teach in it after passing their checkride (completing the SFAR). We were actually so impressed by this CFI's resume and references, we hired this person prior to the completion of the checkride.

I needed a Robbie ferried to here, so I offered to give the CFI the 10 hours it was going to take to ferry the aircraft, as well as pay all fees, hotel, airfare to get out to the ferry point, taxi ride, etc. I did so. The CFI paid fuel on the way here, and I will reimburse that.

The CFI then went home to see family, with promise to come back and teach. The intent I believe was there, the CFI left personal items at my home, and shipped personal items to our shop. I did not make the CFI sign a contract because it was late in the evening when they arrived, and their commercial flight "home" was early the next morning. The CFI stayed at my home, and I drove the CFI and hour to the local airport to catch a plane at 6am the next morning.

In order for the CFI to teach when they return they still needed 10 more hours in the 22. I offered those hours at a discounted rate of 150.00 per hour. I also offered a rent free place to stay for 1 month while finding a place to live. I was also paying the CFI 17.50 per flight and ground hour.

Today the CFI called me and told me of a prospective job in VA doing ENG work. The CFI claimed that they had applied for the position months ago, and was just contacted. The CFI stated that Thursday was the day for an interview. The CFI offered to come back out and still teach for two or three weeks so that we would not be short an instructor. I was not sure what to say and told the CFI I needed to think it over and appreciated the honesty.

After much thought this afternoon, I called the CFI tonight with a (what I thought was) fair proposition. I asked the CFI to give us two to three weeks. I also asked the CFI to pay $100.00 for each of the 10 hours that we gave her to compensate for our loss (I would have only had to pay the ferry pilot $50.00 per hour plus his airfare back to Florida). I also assumed that since the CFI had not been given the job yet, and would more than likely not know for a little while, that the CFI would still need to coplete the 10 hours to teach. I offered those at the rate of 150.00 per hour. I also offered the CFI to still stay at my home no charge, (the accomadations are an entire downstairs, with seperate bathroom, and bedroom, personal tv, and computer).The pilot only had to pay for the pilots own food. The pilot would still be making 17.50 per hour flight or ground.

It was thrown in my face. The pilot was offended that I asked for any portion of cost returned. A comment made was that she didn't need the hours now, so she wasn't going to pay for any that she had previously flown and wasn't going to pay for any to teach my students. Really? The CFI hasn't even gotten this other job yet.

The comment was also made that the pilot was not compensated for ferrying the aircraft to us. Obviously the CFI will not come back to teach, however has left very crucial items in my possesion, to include logbooks. So is 50.00 per hour not fair compensation? I think I could have found someone to do it for free....

Am I crazy? Should I just shipped this CFI's stuff back to them and just eat all this cost? Or should I expect that this person should at the very least pay for some of this flight time and the return of their own items?

All right, let me know.

I am gonna go have a beer......

Lars

Hey Guys,

I know it has been a loooong time since I have posted. We haven't much time with the business and the flightschool. I wanted to run a very real situation by the forum. I value the imput and will think that I will get honest answers from you guys.

I recently hired a former military pilot just turned Robbie CFI. This pilot needed 20 more hours in the 22 to teach in it after passing their checkride (completing the SFAR). We were actually so impressed by this CFI's resume and references, we hired this person prior to the completion of the checkride.

I needed a Robbie ferried to here, so I offered to give the CFI the 10 hours it was going to take to ferry the aircraft, as well as pay all fees, hotel, airfare to get out to the ferry point, taxi ride, etc. I did so. The CFI paid fuel on the way here, and I will reimburse that.

The CFI then went home to see family, with promise to come back and teach. The intent I believe was there, the CFI left personal items at my home, and shipped personal items to our shop. I did not make the CFI sign a contract because it was late in the evening when they arrived, and their commercial flight "home" was early the next morning. The CFI stayed at my home, and I drove the CFI and hour to the local airport to catch a plane at 6am the next morning.

In order for the CFI to teach when they return they still needed 10 more hours in the 22. I offered those hours at a discounted rate of 150.00 per hour. I also offered a rent free place to stay for 1 month while finding a place to live. I was also paying the CFI 17.50 per flight and ground hour.

Today the CFI called me and told me of a prospective job in VA doing ENG work. The CFI claimed that they had applied for the position months ago, and was just contacted. The CFI stated that Thursday was the day for an interview. The CFI offered to come back out and still teach for two or three weeks so that we would not be short an instructor. I was not sure what to say and told the CFI I needed to think it over and appreciated the honesty.

After much thought this afternoon, I called the CFI tonight with a (what I thought was) fair proposition. I asked the CFI to give us two to three weeks. I also asked the CFI to pay $100.00 for each of the 10 hours that we gave her to compensate for our loss (I would have only had to pay the ferry pilot $50.00 per hour plus his airfare back to Florida). I also assumed that since the CFI had not been given the job yet, and would more than likely not know for a little while, that the CFI would still need to coplete the 10 hours to teach. I offered those at the rate of 150.00 per hour. I also offered the CFI to still stay at my home no charge, (the accomadations are an entire downstairs, with seperate bathroom, and bedroom, personal tv, and computer).The pilot only had to pay for the pilots own food. The pilot would still be making 17.50 per hour flight or ground.

It was thrown in my face. The pilot was offended that I asked for any portion of cost returned. A comment made was that she didn't need the hours now, so she wasn't going to pay for any that she had previously flown and wasn't going to pay for any to teach my students. Really? The CFI hasn't even gotten this other job yet.

The comment was also made that the pilot was not compensated for ferrying the aircraft to us. Obviously the CFI will not come back to teach, however has left very crucial items in my possesion, to include logbooks. So is 50.00 per hour not fair compensation? I think I could have found someone to do it for free....

Am I crazy? Should I just shipped this CFI's stuff back to them and just eat all this cost? Or should I expect that this person should at the very least pay for some of this flight time and the return of their own items?

All right, let me know.

Lars

Lars,

I also do not post very often, but as a low timer people like this ruin it for people like me. The industry needs more people like yourself. What you did in my opinion was far and above what you needed to, unfortunately it may not be worth the hassle to hold this CFI to their end of the bargain. Hopefully this doesn't ruin you for giving future CFI's/low timers the benefit of the doubt.

Zenmaster.

I concur with the above sentiments. You can't blame her for taking the more lucrative of the two opportunities. But this is also a situation where you will be better off letting her collect her things and moving on, without collecting for any of the flight time. It's not fair, but at this point it's a small price for you to pay to put some distance between you and the CFI. Trust me, you don't want someone like that working for you and you should be glad you found out before any more damage was done.

Caveat emptor. There was no contract, and apparently no clear understanding of any agreements by anyone. If you're planning to hold the logbooks hostage for reimbursement, I think that's wrong. You're running a business, and losses are incurred in any business. Write it off, get over it, and get on with your business, which may be better off in the long run for the experience.

All right, let me know.

Lars

YES, chalk it up to what NOT to do the next time.

loyalty to a company is non existant for most younger people nowa days, hell I've been with this company for almost 15 years and I no longer have the loyalty for them any more, from the way they have treated their people, showing no respect for anyone any more. :angry:

haven't found a good replacement job yet.

Edited by 67november

I guess to me it is simple.

There was a contract. It was agreed upon prior to her flying (she had an emailed copy and said it was good). It may be enough to be considered a legal contract. Not sure waiting on the attorney for that call.

My mistake was not having her sign it the minute she got out of the aircraft, or prior to flying her from LA to Orlando.

I still don't think I should be responsible financially or physically for mailing her personal belongings to her. She can come get them herself.

I am just amazed that she burned the bridge before having another job...

Gomer Pylot- I am also amazed at how people think that "the business can just take a loss". As a small business owner I hear this all the time. Only a few years ago, I was much like most of the posters in the forum. A starving student.

I put my personal money into this business, STILL I don't draw a paycheck. How about you come and work for me for a while for free, then you can write it off? Come on.... it isn't that simple. That eats into my capital and drives the cost up for everyone else.

I have integrity. I never said I was holding anything "hostage". However, it is not my resposibility to hold her hand, while she rips me off.

It is that attitude, that allows people to keep ripping other people off.

integrity: adherence to a moral or ethical code.

Loyalty went out a long time ago in American business. With employees it's all about "what can you do for me" mentality.

I too operate a flight school, and understand the dynamics of running a business. My advise is let her get her things on her dime and move on.

I have been burned by employees after going above and beyond to help them out. This has taght me to be more conservative and keep all employer/employee relationships strictly on a business level. Yes, it sucks to have to do it that way, but in the end it produces less problems.

Good luck.

Lars,

It will come back to haunt her in her ethics...it's called KARMA. Some day, somewhere, it'll bite her in the A$$.

Seems that your an honest guy, run an honest business, and you expect the same by others, which I agree with. Unfortunately, people are looking for a BBD(bigger and better deal), and they'll jump ship to get a better gig. The offer of her coming to finish out 2-3 weeks of teaching was fair as well. BUT you'll probably will have to eat the airtime, which blows for a small business. I suggest you send her logbook C.O.D., and be the end of it. :) As big as an industry helicotpers are, it's a small world when it comes to pilots.

The email she sent might hold up in small claims, but is it worth it in the long run? $1000 bucks, is a $1000 bucks! Good luck!

Glad you took the HUGE step, and followed your dreams of opening a school! Good luck to you!

Cheers-

R91

Guest 13snoopy

I am almost 44 years old and have been in the real estate business for over 16 years now and the one thing I found out early on is that a person's "word" and 50 cents will get you a Coke.

Sad but true.

Always get it in writing BEFOREhand.

My Daddy always pounded into me to "do what you tell people you're gonna do". Unfortunately, not many do anymore.

I hate this for you and I do feel your pain. Been there, done that. It's no fun.

Please, sue her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I mean it. I've been to court many times and it's no big deal. You don't even need an attorney for something like this. Although serving her in another state may be a problem.

Here's what I'd do:

Tell her to come and get her stuff and serve her with the suit when she arrives. Completely legal and aboveboard.

That's the least of what she deserves.

Make her at least regret what she did.

PLEASE, SUE HER EVEN IF THE ATTORNEY FEELS LIKE YOU PROBABLY DON'T HAVE A CASE!!! Small claims or general district court is not expensive at all. Very simple process and it will cause HER the grief, not you.

It will cause her mucho aggravation, and from the sound of your story, she needs to feel a little of what you feel.

Not certain of the law in your state, but in most areas the defendant is not required to show up for the actual trial and in most cases when they don't show, the judge immediately awards the suit to the plaintiff. Giving you a JUDGEMENT against her and her CREDIT REPORT. My bet is that she wouldn't come back for the trial and you'd win by default. And you can cause her grief with the credit report judgement. She cannot buy a home, etc with outstanding judgements. These things have teeth. (I have had people come back and pay me 10 years after I was awarded a judgement against them.)

It's worth the trouble!!!! Sue her.

Please let me know if I can assist further. I am right next door in Virginia. markadalton@gmail.com

Good luck friend.

I think what she did was dirty pool and the deal you offered her was more than fair. I would have accepted those terms in a heartbeat. She should have told you up front that she had applied for the ENG job and would take it if it was offered. That way all the cards are on the table and you could have made an informed decision about hiring her. You could have also made sure the terms of any discount or repayment were clear.

I have run a small business and I have been in charge of hiring and firing employees so I know all-too-well how loyalty has gone out the window but I have to take issue with those who lay all the blame on the employee.

American businesses aren't as loyal to their employees as they used to be. We see this with pension plans that are underfunded, employees who are fired days before they are eligible to retire, etc. I can't blame a person for wanting to move on to a better job. We all want better pay, better working conditions, shorter hours, etc. Of course I want to make more money and I want to have more time to spend with my family. That's what we all want. The trick is that the employee has to be honest and ethical about taking time off, giving fair notice, etc.

Employees can be criticized for being quick to "jump ship" but anytime an employer is criticized they always say, "Don't blame us for trying to make money, this is a business." We know it's a business but it is also inextricably linked to our personal lives and we need our employers to be loyal to us.

Clearly you went above and beyond the call of duty with respect to accommodating this pilot in her quest to fulfill her goal at the time. That makes you a rock star and that makes her an ingrate.

Yes, perhaps a better opportunity popped up for her, but debts/favors/verbal agreements owed are debts/favors/verbal agreements owed and should well be honored. Period. Get it in writing next time.

The fact that she fumed at your most recent (and reasonable) proposition is clearly another character "red flag" about the type of folks you want teaching for you. Yes? As for her personal belongings, send them to her COD. ;) It's not spiteful; you're out enough money (and probably situational stress) at this point as it is.

Definitely one for the "lessons learned" logbook, and hopefully you weren't burned badly enough to prevent such gracious help to the next lowtimer in need.

Just my 2¢. Yeah, okay. 5¢. :)

Well....

Guess who showed up in my office today.

CFI got her stuff. I got my $1000.00. Still I am left without a CFI.

I think I am still really disappointed. I had expectations, and was really excited. Really is a bummer.

She said there was a big misunderstanding, but I know myself well. I was clear.

I agree with most in the forum, lesson learned, time to move on. Thanks for the reafirmations, makes me feel better about my stance.

Posting it on to the job board.

Then gonna have the beer I never got to last night :)

Hey Guys,

All right, let me know.

Lars

Hi Lars,

I usually see things from several different perspectives, so here's my opinion. I read your post several times and did not feel the shock and indignation that most of the posters did. I re-read it and kept looking for what it was you lost. As it stands, you had your helicopter ferried to you for only the cost of fuel, lodging, taxi, airfare and etc. which you would have had to pay regardless who ferried that aircraft. You mention that you did not have to pay anyone to fly the aircraft, which sounds to me like a bonus for you, not a deficit. I don't know if you are one of the flight schools that charge students for ferrying aircraft and are including that lost revenue in your equation.

I don't know your policies, but I have always disagreed with flight schools that charge for ferrying aircraft, even at a very reduced rate. It is simply a way to get the aircraft home for free. The student feels they are getting a great deal and fun adventure, but it's really just a costly, fun adventure. It amounts to many hours of straight and level flying, which an average new pilot can master in the first few minutes of their very first demo flight. Like I said: I don't know if you do this, but disagree with you if you do. It's a big benefit to the flight school and close to zero for the student.

The other thing is the contract. You say you have a verbal or e-mail contract with the CFI that states they will come to work for you. Does it contain any period of service? Does it specify what those 10 hours were worth if the CFI defaulted? Did the CFI know that those hours were billable hours? I think if you were to sue, the small claims judge would ask these questions. There is also no way to determine your loss if no costs were specified, even if you won the judgment.

If she was ex-military and was qualified for an ENG job, she was already somewhat experienced and wasn't entry-level, as a newly minted CFI would be. That looked pretty attractive to you as a prospective employee. She was less of a risk with your equipment and probably why you agreed to hire her early, before all of the normal steps were taken. The problem was that the extra experience was worth more than $17.50 an hour. She left for a job that paid closer to what her experience could command. If you wanted to keep a more experienced pilot, you would have had to pay more.

Just my opinion.

I will say up front that I have .4 hours and nearly no experience.

That being said, I would never attempt a ferry flight. I would never attempt a take off or landing alone.

I believe that trained pilots are due compensation. I do not agree that anyone could or should make a ferry flight without proper training.

I do not know all the facts of the "contract". I can say that I was taught, by my parents, to honor my word. I do realize that most people get what they can.

I know what I would do on each side of this situation and I hope that most people would do the right thing, but this is the real world.

My suggestion is to do what you can live with. Do what you lets you sleep at night. Remember that someday, somehow, if you are taking advantage of the situation, you will be on the other end one day and you will wish you had done the right thing.

Hey everyone, I am Jim, Larson's husband, and find this topic interesting as well as the opinions everyone has so here is my two cents.

I was the one who went through the hiring process. The CFI in question had about 900 hours TT. I based her pay off of her CFI experience and, with her total time in mind would put her in a probationary pay period. Simply put, many of us can fly, but few of us can teach. If she is able to teach, her pay would go up respectively, if she needed more time teaching, her pay would remain the same until her skill went up.

One of the other reasons I hired her was because I was tired of the promise of pilots coming out to work, then not showing up. She was hired because she was a former Army helicopter pilot, comissioned officer, we had gone to flight school about the same time, and when I gave her her interview, I asked her specifically, "So, you aren't going to find another job and not show up. I can stop looking for CFIs, right?"

"Oh, yes, definately sir. I want to build time to get a better job and get more experience."

So we discussed the deal of her to ferry the aircraft. We are a new school and expressed this to her. There was no miscommunication at all.

She needed time, I needed a pilot, I was willing to suck up the cost to get my aircraft.

With ferry pilots, and businesses, things can go both ways. Young pilots get cheap deals to fly and businesses save/make money while getting an aircraft. So if I was a young starving pilot needing hours to make me more marketable, I would be willing to pay $100 per hour to fly while ferrying an aircraft. (You can rent Cessna 172s for that.)

Business is also based on potential. No one opens a flight school on the South Pole because there is no potential.

Larson had the potential to fly 10.4 hours and gain that much more experience. I also had the potential to make $100-150 per hour flying that aircraft. I also had the potential to have a CFI that gave me a promise, after being very specific about the job. I also had the potential to save myself $500 in airfare and hotel.

She could have flown her hours at LA Helicopter for $170 per hour.

Now lets talk about integrity. For an Army officer, she has none. Guess what, I am an Army Officer and helicopter pilot, too. If I acted like that, I couldn't face my wife, kids, or my soldiers.

Quite frankly, my wife was nice about it. This new CFI acted as if we owed her something. She was also going to live in our house for free for a month until she found a place to live.

I would have made her pay the going rate for an R-22, the hotel bill and the airfare. Signed contract or not, there was intent and in this case, easily proven.

So, anyone who thinks that this was fair, I have a deal for you. You bring your R-22 down to my school, I'll let my wife fly it to build time for her commercial, I won't pay you for hotel or airfare to go back home. When she is done, I'll call you and you can have your helicopter back. I will send you the bill for the fuel. Any takers???

The positive spin on this: At least I found out what kind of person she was before she started working for me. So I guess sometimes things happen for a reason.

hey Jim, was confused with your post for a while there.

after reading thru your post a couple of times I'm sure that several low time pilots looking for flight time would be more than happy to help you 2 out. as everyone is looking to build hours.

if you need help then don't hesitate to ask here first. I'm sure you'll find what you need ;)

If she came to your office and gave you $1,000 without any legal obligation to do so, only because you asked her to, it sounds like she has some integrity after all. You on the other hand are charging students $100 - $150 an hour to ferry aircraft for you. That makes you a thief. You are convincing them that it is a worthwhile thing to do and they are trusting you, when in fact, it does little to increase their proficiency. How does that sit with your Army Officer Integrity? Take that to your wife, kids and soldiers.

If she came to your office and gave you $1,000 without any legal obligation to do so, only because you asked her to, it sounds like she has some integrity after all. You on the other hand are charging students $100 - $150 an hour to ferry aircraft for you. That makes you a thief. You are convincing them that it is a worthwhile thing to do and they are trusting you, when in fact, it does little to increase their proficiency. How does that sit with your Army Officer Integrity? Take that to your wife, kids and soldiers.

I'll have to disagree with you on this ITG the cost of flying a bird to a point is still moneyand asking someone to pay half the normal flight cost is a price I and many other would pay to due such work.

paying twice+ that for rental is normal what do you think about that?

Edited by 67november

INTHEGREEN Hello, I am Jim's wife... I am the person this CFI interacted with for the last two day fiasco.

You are misinformed. I didn't charge that "student" anything. She was a CFI that I hired, who needed 20 hours to fufill the SFAR to instruct in the 22. I gave her the 10 hours, as an employment incentive. I have NEVER charged a student to ferry any aircraft. (Jim was making a point, that some business do it, some don't) I was giving her 10 more at a discounted rate. She would have had to have paid for them from someone if she wanted to teach.

She needed the hours for the job, she needed the hours for an instructing job anywhere not just with us. Then after she had accepted our job and flown the hours, she had found another prospective job (not teaching), and decided she didn't need the hours anymore, although she had already flown them. She was willing to burn her bridge prior to even being offered the "other" job.

She came into my office to pay for her hours because HER FATHER convinced her to do so. Why did he convince her to? Because she said she would accept the job, and she was backing out.

You need to quip your toungue and watch your accusations.

My husband has selflessly served 18 years of his life with honor and integrity for your right to spew vomit about thievery and a situation you have only little bits and pieces of knowledge about.

He lives at a military post 3+ hours aways from us, for his integrity and the commitment he gave to the Army. He has been to war, lost friends to war, and missed the majority of his children's lives, for integrity and this country.

Don't dare accuse him of being a thief. Don't dare accuse us of abusing people's trust.

This WIFE, our children, and his fellow soldiers and subordinates, think that he is an honorable and outstanding leader of men.

Can anyone say the same about you?

Larson D. Gafney

Nobody is going to dispute/slander/argue the fact that Jim did his Job as required, I did mine 20+years ago and many more should do the same as it would bring more integrity to this world.

this new be pilot should have learned a lesson after it was all said and done, if not then she will find herself on the wrong end of a good link in this SMALL world of helicopters.

Larson,

Perhaps I am misinformed, but in your husband's post he stated several things. First he stated that he was willing to "suck up the cost to get my aircraft" and "I had the potential to make $100 - $150 hours flying that aircraft" leading one to believe that he would have charged someone to fly it. If I misunderstood that, I am sorry, but that's what it sounds like.

Secondly, he continued to malign the CFI with questions of integrity AFTER that person had traveled to your office with money to pay for a flight that benefitted your company more than it benefitted her. The intent of the SFAR is to gain proficiency in the R-22, not just hours. For all the proficiency gained on a long, straight and level flight, she might just as well have pencilled in the time. Yet, you accepted the money. So apparently you do charge for students to ferry your aircraft.

Your husband was the one to bring up the integrity of another Army Officer, without that person present to defend themselves. I saw the injustice, especially AFTER you were paid, and I responded to it. No one else was. I often root for the underdog. It was not integrity on his part that made those statements.

I humbly appreciate your husband's service of his country and, coincidentally, appreciate your defense of him, but it does not excuse the earlier comments.

Lastly, Just because you are in business does not mean that the world owes you success. I don't know how many pilots you interviewed before choosing the CFI in question or your reasons for choosing her over the others, but your choice was made in the best interest of your business. Just like the market drives the prices you can charge, the market also drives the wage a pilot can command. In this case, a higher wage or better job was offered. Being a CFI in an R-22 is not a career-maker and you will always have difficulty retaining pilots. Diversification in your business may draw more candidates. The choice this CFI made was in her best interest. That's business. She offered to stay for 3 weeks until you found someone else AND she paid you money that I'm not sure you deserved, just to clear her name and perhaps her conscience, or perhaps because you bullied her into feeling that way. Yet, you still maligned her on this forum. Who has the integrity?