flight medical

I'm new to the helicopter world, but have been looking into flight training for sometime. Can anyone tell me what the blood pressure requirements are for the medical exam? I usually range around 128/75, and from what I've read high pressure begins at 140/90. Is the FAA more strict on what they consider to be too high? And can a pilot use prescription blood pressure medication and still pass his exam? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'm new to the helicopter world, but have been looking into flight training for sometime. Can anyone tell me what the blood pressure requirements are for the medical exam? I usually range around 128/75, and from what I've read high pressure begins at 140/90. Is the FAA more strict on what they consider to be too high? And can a pilot use prescription blood pressure medication and still pass his exam? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Your blood pressure is on the higher side of "normal" but is fine (but lower is always better when it comes to your health--it almost can't be too low). It is my understanding that high blood pressure is one of the few "medical conditions" the FAA actually allows because it is so easily and reliably controlled by medications now-a-days. That being said, it does definitely need to be controlled to be able to fly.

-V5

Wow- youre sorta asking for medical advice which I cant give....as far as taking the FAA exam..youre fine. I would rather be 10 points high than have to declare that I am taking BP medicines.....just my opinion of course. Eat well the week before you go..no burgers !

The US Army used to have lower limits for blood pressure. When I was in the 82d Airborne, and doing lots of PT, I had to drink coffee before the physical to get my pressure up into the normal range. I have no idea what the requirements are now, because I've been out for 25 years.

If you have questions about medical standards, take a look at Virtual Flight Surgeons, http://www.aviationmedicine.com. You can get lots of information without paying. I think that with that blood pressure, you can easily get a Class 3 medical without medication. Just be aware that everyone's blood pressure fluctuates a lot, depending on all sorts of factors, and if it's high the first time, you can get a reread after sitting for some time, or on another visit. One pressure reading should never be accepted for anything important, if it's out of the normal range. Insist on several readings over some time.

My recollection is that the FAA requires you be better than 155/90. Check the AOPA web site to verify.