Drug & Alcohol Policy Manual

Talon

I am in the market for a Drug & Alcohol Policy Manual for a Part 135 operation, preferably one in Electronic format. If anyone is willing to share one with me, I am willing to pay a reasonable fee for your trouble.

Please contact me at: mike.fergione@att.net

They should be available somewhere on the DOT's site.

If you're trying to setup a 135, you're better off just getting a 3rd party company to manage all that stuff for you, because it gets VERY confusing. It doesn't matter if you have 1 or 1000 people on the 135, it's all managed the same with the drug testing. And the whole drug testing deal is actually to meet DOT req's, not FAA. You're in the same set of rules governing bus drivers, train conductors, etc. That's why it's required for tours & rides rather than just 135s.

I think the company we used was called "NADE" or something like that. They handle everything for you......you just have to go pee in the cup at the local urgent care or testing faclity. They take care of ALL the paperwork.

One tip, if you have someone that works for you that's NOT a pilot performing the commercial ops, make them the rep (the one that notifies you that you have been random selected.) If you are the rep and pilot on the certificate, it gets kind of wierd on how you're suppose to notify yourself that you have a surprise drug test. And trust me, they're serious about that--I know a guy that got an emergency revocation of all his certificates because he didn't handle that delicate process correctly.......long story, short version: he didn't have a 3rd party company--that specializes in aviation--managing the drug testing for him.

They should be available somewhere on the DOT's site.

If you're trying to setup a 135, you're better off just getting a 3rd party company to manage all that stuff for you, because it gets VERY confusing. It doesn't matter if you have 1 or 1000 people on the 135, it's all managed the same with the drug testing. And the whole drug testing deal is actually to meet DOT req's, not FAA. You're in the same set of rules governing bus drivers, train conductors, etc. That's why it's required for tours & rides rather than just 135s.

I think the company we used was called "NADE" or something like that. They handle everything for you......you just have to go pee in the cup at the local urgent care or testing faclity. They take care of ALL the paperwork.

One tip, if you have someone that works for you that's NOT a pilot performing the commercial ops, make them the rep (the one that notifies you that you have been random selected.) If you are the rep and pilot on the certificate, it gets kind of wierd on how you're suppose to notify yourself that you have a surprise drug test. And trust me, they're serious about that--I know a guy that got an emergency revocation of all his certificates because he didn't handle that delicate process correctly.......long story, short version: he didn't have a 3rd party company--that specializes in aviation--managing the drug testing for him.

I totally agree. We have a company that handles all the testing and random selection. Whenever the FAA asks questions about the program we refer them to the testing company. No hassel. Their are also confidentiality issues to be considered. Separate files for the drug results, limited access, etc. The company you choose should inform you of all the legalities.

I am in the market for a Drug & Alcohol Policy Manual for a Part 135 operation, preferably one in Electronic format. If anyone is willing to share one with me, I am willing to pay a reasonable fee for your trouble.

Please contact me at: mike.fergione@att.net

You would normally join a consortium or group that handles many operators, they do all the set up for you.