Military Channel's Top 10 Helicopters

mechanic

Well, if you've ever seen the Top Ten series, they rank each machine based on several factors such as survivability, adaptability, fear factor, etc. I don't want to ruin who comes in first place, but lets just say that the gun ships have an unfair advantage because the rating factors are bias to them. Personally, I think the UH-1, UH-60, and CH-47 are superior ships because they are much more mission flexible. They have troop suppressing armament, can move lots of equipment and man power, and can switch rolls to suit the needs of whichever service they are in. The gun ships have a very limited focus....sure, they have a large weapons payload, but a UH-60 can fire rockets at an enemy and then land and pick up casualties. Besides that, I think their more intune with what Mr. Sikorsky had imgined the helicopter to be, as an "angel of mercy"

But it was still a good show, and there was WW2 German Tandem bird that I've never seen before in it, which was pretty cool. If you go here, I think they have dates for reruns http://military.discovery.com/tvlistings/e...amp;channel=MIL

Everybody forgot that the Army "armed" 4 Shithooks! They were called "Guns A Go-Go" and all but one of them died in Nam, the last one is in the Rucker Museum.

I'm sorry, the Bell 47 and the Huey should have been tied in the top two. They're both OLD and they both still flying! I've got over 5,000 hrs in the 47 airframe - from Franklin engine'd(sp?) one's to the Soloy conversions. GREAT airframe - a "baby Lama" - half the load for half the price.

As for the Huey - I'm driving a 1978 model BH 212HP that is the final model of the Huey - she'll fly for EVER!

Genlte winds,

cr

Everybody forgot that the Army "armed" 4 Shithooks! They were called "Guns A Go-Go" and all but one of them died in Nam, the last one is in the Rucker Museum.

I'm sorry, the Bell 47 and the Huey should have been tied in the top two. They're both OLD and they both still flying! I've got over 5,000 hrs in the 47 airframe - from Franklin engine'd(sp?) one's to the Soloy conversions. GREAT airframe - a "baby Lama" - half the load for half the price.

As for the Huey - I'm driving a 1978 model BH 212HP that is the final model of the Huey - she'll fly for EVER!

Genlte winds,

cr

We use a 1962 UH-1B for the fire-fighting mission here in the mountains of West Virginia. We cover the entire state with this bird. She flys great and will be flying great for 20 more years. The Huey was the only helicopter ever built. My feelings.

MVC_017S.JPG

We use a 1962 UH-1B for the fire-fighting mission here in the mountains of West Virginia. We cover the entire state with this bird. She flys great and will be flying great for 20 more years. The Huey was the only helicopter ever built. My feelings.

from TQN on another site.

I hesitate to list them, but I will for those who don't get the Military Channel. They tested, evaluated and graded the helis using 5 key factors: innovation, service length, survivability, versatility and fear factor.

10. OH-13 Sioux

9. Focke Achgelis 223 (Hitler's Pet Dragon)

8. Lynx (UK)

7. CH-47 Chinook

6. MI-24 Hind (The Crocodile)

5. OH-6 Cayuse

4. AH-1 Cobra

3. UH-1 Iriquois (Huey)

2. UH-60 Blackhawk

1. AH-64D Apache Longbow

It's a great program, and even though I've listed them, there's much good stuff to see because they get into manufacturer, type, weight/length, powerplant (engines), carrying capacity, armament and max cruise speed...not to mention handling and personality/characteristics of the machines. It was very interesting. Catch it if you can!

• 6 months later...

The Guns A Go Go Chinook is not at the Rucker museum. They have an "A" model and 4-bladed model with the experimental wings (I don't know the designation) outside, but I haven't seen the Guns A Go Go.

The Chinook gets no love.

CHAD

3. UH-1 Iriquois (Huey)

2. UH-60 Blackhawk

1. AH-64D Apache Longbow

What a crock :( They obviously didn't ask anyone who has had to manage the maintenance on Blackhawks, Hueys, and Longbows. Although the Apache is very crashworthy, it is a nightmare to maintain and is lacking in performance. Take all the guns, rockets and blackboxes off and you have a great airframe but still not as cool as a Huey or Hawk.

mmmm DAP birds....

What a crock :( They obviously didn't ask anyone who has had to manage the maintenance on Blackhawks, Hueys, and Longbows. Although the Apache is very crashworthy, it is a nightmare to maintain and is lacking in performance. Take all the guns, rockets and blackboxes off and you have a great airframe but still not as cool as a Huey or Hawk.

mmmm DAP birds....

I was a HUEY mechanic, they weren't too bad to maintain. just needed to pay attention to detail.

I always laugh when the one guy says, "Even if they never admit it, everyone wishes they flew the Apache." Only an Apache pilot would have to say something like that to make themselves feel good.

I always laugh when the one guy says, "Even if they never admit it, everyone wishes they flew the Apache." Only an Apache pilot would have to say something like that to make themselves feel good.

Give me the choice of being a passenger in a Blackhawk or piloting an Apache and yes, I would take the Apache. And thats coming from someone who has crewed both Hueys and Hawks. I'm not too picky when it comes to flying as long as I'm the one on the controls.

Give me the choice of being a passenger in a Blackhawk or piloting an Apache and yes, I would take the Apache. And thats coming from someone who has crewed both Hueys and Hawks. I'm not too picky when it comes to flying as long as I'm the one on the controls.

What are you talking about? You have never been safer than when flying with me!

What are you talking about? You have never been safer than when flying with me!

Ok I would crew for you again before flying in an Apache, but with all these cherry LT's we have running around boasting about being a PIC I have to be selective :)